Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Like Sligo?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Bundoran reminds me of the Morrisey song, "Every Day is Like Sunday"....

Trudging slowly over wet sand
    Back to the bench where your clothes were stolen
    This is the coastal town
    That they forgot to close down
    Armageddon - come Armageddon!
    Come, Armageddon! Come!

Everyday is like Sunday
    Everyday is silent and grey

Hide on the promenade
    Etch a postcard :
    "How I Dearly Wish I Was Not Here"
    In the seaside town
    ...that they forgot to bomb
    Come, Come, Come - nuclear bomb

Everyday is like Sunday

Trudging back over pebbles and sand
    And a strange dust lands on your hands
    (And on your face...)
    (On your face ...)
    (On your face ...)
    (On your face ...)

Everyday is like Sunday
    "Win Yourself A Cheap Tray"
    Share some greased tea with me

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

takola wrote: »
    It is! It's lovely. Alot nicer than Limerick anyway! :p

Limerick is grand girly.

I would like to head up to Sligo for a weekend and test out the craic sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Sligo is like Limerick-lite.

I have lived in both places for a time.

wouldn't say either one is prettier/has more social probs than the other to be honest.

Sligo has shorter drive to beach though so might just tip the scales.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Limerick is grand girly.

Limericks too big for me! You should head up in the summer.

Limerick is grand girly.

I'll vouch for that - Limerick's a great place to go out & has a really vibrant music scene. (Pity they closed the Boat Club though).. Still, I'd recommend not bypassing Sligo for Bundoran. (I've heard a rumour that every solstace, the people of Donegal gather on the coast for a pagan ritual which the believe one day will cause Bundoran to break away from the mainland & float out into the Atlantic ocean).

• Advertisement

takola wrote: »
    Limericks too big for me! You should head up in the summer.

Might just do that.

BTW Limerick is tiny.

The suburbs are failry big bu the city itself is mainly two street.

topper75 wrote: »
    Sligo is like Limerick-lite.

I have lived in both places for a time.

wouldn't say either one is prettier/has more social probs than the other to be honest.

Sligo has shorter drive to beach though so might just tip the scales.

Sure Ballybunion is less than an hour away topper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Might just do that.

BTW Limerick is tiny.

The suburbs are failry big bu the city itself is mainly two street.

I lived in Limerick. It's quite a bit bigger than Sligo. And the accent was too much for me. I ran screaming after a year! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Katzy

They say sligo is the new limerick - stabbings - shootings etc.....

But hey what the heck - it's home and i love it......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Something that I don't understand about Sligo is the number of boarded up buildings - and still they want to build new shops and now, 800 new dwellings. Wouldn't it be better to use what's already there? Refurbish or knock it down, but don't just leave it rotting while you move on to some new tower of glass and steel?

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    Something that I don't understand about Sligo is the number of boarded up buildings - and still they want to build new shops and now, 800 new dwellings. Wouldn't it be better to use what's already there? Refurbish or knock it down, but don't just leave it rotting while you move on to some new tower of glass and steel?

There are lots of reasons for that. Some buildings are "protected structures", so even though they're in bits, they're protected from being demolished. In a lot of cases, the facade will be the only protected part of the building, but as with many of these buildings, the are infill sites (ie., wedged between 2 buildings) which makes it very difficult & expensive to construct.... a building each side & a protected facade - pricey.

Other times, the sites just aren't suitable or feasible to build on.. it can often be very difficult to fit apartments into an existing site & ensure not only a decent return for the investor but also ensure that they comply with with current Building Regs & Dept of the Environment requirements & the requirements of the Fire Dept.

So, a lot of times, owners of these buildings will "sit on" them, till the right investment opportunity comes along, or the buildings come off the protected list & can be fully demolished.

I'm sure there are many other reasons, but from experience, they're the ones I have come across most.

I do agree with you though - the boarded up buildings really do little for the town... my opinion is that the Council should be a lot more active with Compulsory Purchase Orders to prevent this. The buildings could then be tendered out for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Do you like Sligo? Well do you?

Maybe Im posting in the wrong thread when I see places like Bundoran, Limerick and even Ballybunion ffs being alluded to.

Stay on topic please.

Some buildings are "protected structures", so even though they're in bits, they're protected from being demolished. In a lot of cases, the facade will be the only protected part of the building, but as with many of these buildings, the are infill sites (ie., wedged between 2 buildings) which makes it very difficult & expensive to construct.... a building each side & a protected facade - pricey.
    it can often be very difficult to fit apartments into an existing site & ensure not only a decent return for the investor but also ensure that they comply with with current Building Regs & Dept of the Environment requirements & the requirements of the Fire Dept.
    Maybe you need to post those comments here as i fail to see what they have to do with liking Sligo or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Gillie wrote: »
    Dare I suggest you try to broaden (sp?) your horizons!
    Chances are you'll hvae the same complaint where ever you go.

Talk up surfing or fishing, hiking, camping, a sport etc.

Hard to know what exactly your looking for!!
    I've do surf. Sorry for omitting that, but i was talking more in the social side of things.
    Camping? haha the chances of me being allowed camping are slim to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I've do surf. Sorry for omitting that, but i was talking more in the social side of things.
    Camping? haha the chances of me being allowed camping are slim to none.

I see. I take it your in your teens so.
    Starting to see your dilemma now.
    The Bowling Alley used to be great! Now you have to head to Carrick or Bundoran for it.

Not much for a young person to do in Sligo I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Quoted for truth.

As someone who left sligo when i was 18, my return visits are getting further and further apart.
    Whenever i do come back i think the thing that really annoys me is the nightlife and how generic it is. Three identikit clubs playing the same music, seperated pretty much by the age of the clientele. The new clarance is at least different, but pricey and far too white. (a strange complaint, but i liked the old clarance with it's dank, bring back the dank!)

During the day, well i think the shopping complex beside the cinema is horrific, full of useless shops and it seems to have been designed by a crack smoking chimp. The rest of the town seems to be the same as i left it, though the padestrianised O'Connel street is nice.
    Sligo's got plenty of shops but no character or soul. It's bland as it's nightlife is.

basically once my parents shuffle off their mortal coils (which i hope won't be for many, many years yet) i doubt i'd find much of a reason to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I see. I take it your in your teens so.
    Starting to see your dilemma now.
    The Bowling Alley used to be great! Now you have to head to Carrick or Bundoran for it.

Yup. Its hell on earth alright. And they wonder why there's such an underage drinking problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Design_Dude

Its a lovely place, i spend my summers there. Anyone from collooney?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

In theory Sligo has a lot going for it - at least if you look at the Failte Ireland adds ya'd think so anyhoo.... but live away for ten years and come back to the same small town attitude with the same small town insular atmosphere and a complete lack of interesting night life...

...4 nightclubs and only one stands out (clarence) and even that has got a bit bland with the new look... pubs where the atmosphere is cliquey and lacking any kind of spontaneous sparkle you get in somewhere like Galway.. a theatre space like the hawk's well that once a year attracts anything you'd like to go to - the rest of the year hiring itself out to daniel o'donnell tribut acts...

...shopping centres that make us look like every god-forsaken english high street and sucking any kind of individuality and spirit out of the town centre.....
    mad.gif

...do i like Sligo? NO ...:mad: ...do i HAVE to live here? yes :mad: ..am I plotting my escape? YES:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Galway's spontaneous sparkle, eh? If spontaneous sparkle is Galway slang for Macnas heads and rubbish film festivals. Sligo is not perfect and there's things I 'd also like to see different, but it's pointless comparing Sligo to Galway (3 times bigger) and Cardiff (15 times bigger). Why would anyone live somewhere they don't like? If I didn't like Sligo, I'd use some of that much vaunted spontaneity and move.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

i love Sligo

Spent many the great time there.

I was only recently made aware that parts of it is pretty "rough", but heh, what town isnt?

Yea, i like sligo :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

il gatto wrote: »
    If spontaneous sparkle is Galway slang for Macnas heads and rubbish film festivals
    <SNIP>

MOD EDIT: lightening.. those comments are uncalled for!

Better edit that quick!
    I hear Basq and muffler coming!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭nicolaonfire

I changed my mind, I do like Sligo :)

Sometimes!

I changed my mind, I do like Sligo :)

Sometimes!
    Wimmin! Pfft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

artyeva wrote: »
    In theory Sligo has a lot going for it - at least if you look at the Failte Ireland adds ya'd think so anyhoo.... but live away for ten years and come back to the same small town attitude with the same small town insular atmosphere and a complete lack of interesting night life...

...4 nightclubs and only one stands out (clarence) and even that has got a bit bland with the new look... pubs where the atmosphere is cliquey and lacking any kind of spontaneous sparkle you get in somewhere like Galway.. a theatre space like the hawk's well that once a year attracts anything you'd like to go to - the rest of the year hiring itself out to daniel o'donnell tribut acts...

Sweet Jasas ya saved me having to think and stuff
    I was away for 10 years, back 2 1/2, gone it 2-3 weeks (was supposed to leave couple of months ago, got sick) Its Sligo you will get sick!

The weather has defo got worse, was bad but never that bad years ago, i do remember being outside at night without freezing the clackers off myself

Town used to have a buzz about it, but that died (which in fairness has happened to lots of small town Ireland)
    Clarence was quite dull the last time i was in there, the rest are just tripe, have wasted my jesus years avoiding nightclubs, no way for a single gobsheen to live

As for people saying "Well leave then" aint that part of the problem?

Difference in 10/12 years

I think Frankie stubbs said it best

Wrong name, wrong face, wrong time, wrong place
    Mass chant, vigilante, bad taste, rat race.
    We aren't the side who sells but never buys,
    We are the ones who run but never hide.
    I want the moon, I don't expect too much from honeymoons.
    Some stand, some stare, some laugh or don't much care,
    Passing time, passing phase, stupid b*stard, rat race.
    There comes a line when you step out of time,
    There comes a clause and a respectfully yours.
    I want the moon, we're gonna be there soon.
    I want the f*ck*ng moon.

btw Galway aint all its cracked up to be

elshambo wrote: »
    Sweet Jasas ya saved me having to think and stuff
    I was away for 10 years, back 2 1/2, gone it 2-3 weeks (was supposed to leave couple of months ago, got sick) Its Sligo you will get sick!

The weather has defo got worse, was bad but never that bad years ago, i do remember being outside at night without freezing the clackers off myself

Town used to have a buzz about it, but that died (which in fairness has happened to lots of small town Ireland)
    Clarence was quite dull the last time i was in there, the rest are just tripe, have wasted my jesus years avoiding nightclubs, no way for a single gobsheen to live

As for people saying "Well leave then" aint that part of the problem?

Difference in 10/12 years

I think Frankie stubbs said it best

Wrong name, wrong face, wrong time, wrong place
    Mass chant, vigilante, bad taste, rat race.
    We aren't the side who sells but never buys,
    We are the ones who run but never hide.
    I want the moon, I don't expect too much from honeymoons.
    Some stand, some stare, some laugh or don't much care,
    Passing time, passing phase, stupid b*stard, rat race.
    There comes a line when you step out of time,
    There comes a clause and a respectfully yours.
    I want the moon, we're gonna be there soon.
    I want the f*ck*ng moon.

btw Galway aint all its cracked up to be

WTF???:eek:

WTF???:eek:

Sounds like the kinda person you'd wanna get stuck beside on a long train journey.. imagine 3 hours of THAT!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Sligo isn't perfect but it's by no means the worst.

If you have a few hours to kill around the town there isn't very much to do unless your into Art.
    As I'm only 18 I find it a bit of a tedious town,nothing exciting to it at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

bobcar61 wrote: »
    As I'm only 18 I find it a bit of a tedious town,nothing exciting to it at all.

Yeah, I see where your coming from. A very common complaint around the whole country though. In fact, being coastal Sligo has a good bit more to offer than some towns, I won't mention them, but bobcar, believe me you are better off in Sligo.

Sligo has a fantasic West coast mix of influences. The tough Northern car/motorbike Rally fan element mixed with the softer surf easy living attitude. Makes for a great area. The natural surroundings are second to none. Its proximity to Dublin (my town) is fantastic for both Dublin and Sligo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement