Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do You Like Sligo?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gillie
    WTF???

The response i expected :rolleyes:
    still true all the same
    Sounds like the kinda person you'd wanna get stuck beside on a long train journey.. imagine 3 hours of THAT!

Says the bloke who quotes Morrisey :p

Star, ive noticed half the posts relating to you are people calling you weird or boring etc the other half are you defending yourself and telling people your and outsider who wants to be different, i wont go here, i dont like there etc

I stuck the song bit in to get the first response expecting you to jump in as you did, jumping down the troat the first chance you get, guess yer not the all accepting cool for cats outsider you want people to see? :p:p

wasnt that fun
    & ya i am a b*llox, its every sligomans birthright!

btw yes i do like sligo, but not by choice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

elshambo wrote: »
    Quote:
    WTF???

still true all the same

I still don't know how those words (lyrics?) relate to Sligo?
    Pardon my ignorance but who the f*ck is Frankie Stubbs?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

elshambo wrote: »
    Quote:
    WTF???

still true all the same

Says the bloke who quotes Morrisey :p

Star, ive noticed half the posts relating to you are people calling you weird or boring etc the other half are you defending yourself and telling people your and outsider who wants to be different, i wont go here, i dont like there etc

I stuck the song bit in to get the first response expecting you to jump in as you did, jumping down the troat the first chance you get, guess yer not the all accepting cool for cats outsider you want people to see? :p:p

wasnt that fun
    & ya i am a b*llox, its every sligomans birthright!

btw yes i do like sligo, but not by choice

WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

sueme wrote: »
    WTF?

(If you find out what that's all about, please let me know!)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭genie

I love Sligo County but I loath Sligo town with a passion. Spent most of today looking for work there. Absolutely nothing. I think I'm going to park myself next to yer one outside the Bank of Ireland...:(

• Advertisement

Just curious.
    Why do you hate it so much Genie?
    Sorry to hear about the job hunting!

Are you looking for anything in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

I like Sligo, spent 2 years there, i'd chose it over a lot of other towns in Ireland. Only thing that i found bad was the particularly strong glare of the sun and the feckin wind!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

il gatto wrote: »
    it's pointless comparing Sligo to Galway (3 times bigger) and Cardiff (15 times bigger).

I'm going to assume the cardiff bit is in relation to me, not that i actually compared sligo to cardiff, but lets not worry about that.

Thing is, no matter where i'm living i still feel the same about sligo and i stand by what i said. The nightlife is dull, the shopping centre was designed by a crack smoking chimp and the place has next to no character as far as i'm concerned.
    If you like it, fair enough, but no need to get all defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

genie wrote: »
    I love Sligo County but I loath Sligo town with a passion. Spent most of today looking for work there. Absolutely nothing. I think I'm going to park myself next to yer one outside the Bank of Ireland...:(

I think I'll join you....

Gillie wrote: »
    Just curious.
    Why do you hate it so much Genie?
    Sorry to hear about the job hunting!

Are you looking for anything in particular?

OK, I hadn't been into Sligo town since before Christmas so it was interesting to see if anything had changed. It hadn't.

The 'parking'. The 'parking'. The 'parking'. Etc....

Sullen shop staff. When I ask for something I can't seem to find, invaribly the reply is, "If it's not there, we don't have it." No, "I'll go and look for you." Or, "I can order it for you..?" I spent a year in England and if the staff there treated customers like that they'd be straight out on their a**e! Do these people not get staff training at all? :confused:

Castle Street. What on earth is (not) going on there? It's almost dead!

Shops which STILL CLOSE FOR LUNCH!!!! :rolleyes:

Too many coffee shops. How many does Sligo really need? Although I am glad there is a Costa Coffee now as I was fed up with getting an Espresso in a normal sized cup. It always looked like left over dregs!

The Quayside Shopping Centre is a dungeon. I prefer the Johnson's Court one but there are still a few empty units in there.

The crap, narrow foortpaths (admittedly this is common in many towns) and rubbish guttering. When it rains, the water flows out over the footpath!!

Needless to say, I only go to Sligo these days when I really really have to. I do my weekly shop in Carrick on Shannon now because I value what's left of my sanity! :D

As for work. Well, I was looking for work in a bookshop (I worked for a large chain in England) but I'm not exactly spoiled for choice here so I'm looking for something that doesn't pay minimum wage. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?! :D

Most shop work here does seem to be minimum wage or perilously close to it. I have noticed that shops seem to be hiring very young staff - so they can be paid less? I live 22 miles from Sligo so I can't afford to work for minimum wage with petrol prices the way they are.

Ok, that's it. Well, you did ask! :D

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    I think I'll join you....

Sitting on cold concrete will give you piles, you know?! :D

Sitting on cold concrete will give you piles, you know?! :D

no quicker than sitting on my arse at home with nothing to do!

Honestly that is my one major complaint about Sligo - no job pour moi.

Xiney wrote: »
    no quicker than sitting on my arse at home with nothing to do!

Honestly that is my one major complaint about Sligo - no job pour moi.

Seems to be very few jobs for anyone at the moment. I had paper coffee cups jingled under my nose for change a few times today. It's not just Sligo, though - I checked the Leitrim and Roscommon papers for jobs in the library - zilch. Having the Sligo shops only sticking a notice in their window and not in the paper doesn't help either when you live out of town.

I'm going to assume the cardiff bit is in relation to me, not that i actually compared sligo to cardiff, but lets not worry about that.

Thing is, no matter where i'm living i still feel the same about sligo and i stand by what i said. The nightlife is dull, the shopping centre was designed by a crack smoking chimp and the place has next to no character as far as i'm concerned.

Yes there is.
    I would take your comments seriously until you mentioned "shopping centre was designed by a crack smoking chimp"
    That's just childish talk!

OK, I hadn't been into Sligo town since before Christmas so it was interesting to see if anything had changed. It hadn't.

The 'parking'. The 'parking'. The 'parking'. Etc....
    Fair Point!
    Sullen shop staff. When I ask for something I can't seem to find, invaribly the reply is, "If it's not there, we don't have it." No, "I'll go and look for you." Or, "I can order it for you..?" I spent a year in England and if the staff there treated customers like that they'd be straight out on their a**e! Do these people not get staff training at all? :confused:
    Thats countrywide my friend!
    Castle Street. What on earth is (not) going on there? It's almost dead!
    Again Fair point. There are a couple of developments going on there and high street at present. Hopefully it will improve it.
    Shops which STILL CLOSE FOR LUNCH!!!! :rolleyes:
    I'd be curious to know which ones! Bet I can guess!:D
    Too many coffee shops. How many does Sligo really need? Although I am glad there is a Costa Coffee now as I was fed up with getting an Espresso in a normal sized cup. It always looked like left over dregs!
    :confused:Not sure how to respond here? How can there be too many?
    I say the more the better!
    The Quayside Shopping Centre is a dungeon. I prefer the Johnson's Court one but there are still a few empty units in there.
    Dungeon is a bit harse. It's not going to be jammed 24x7 unless it's Christmas!
    The crap, narrow foortpaths (admittedly this is common in many towns) and rubbish guttering. When it rains, the water flows out over the footpath!!
    Agreed! Another thing which annoys me is the fact there are no ashtrays in the bins! Make a difference im sure!
    Needless to say, I only go to Sligo these days when I really really have to. I do my weekly shop in Carrick on Shannon now because I value what's left of my sanity! :D
    I assume you mean the large stores on the outskirts of Carrick and not the town itself?
    As for work. Well, I was looking for work in a bookshop (I worked for a large chain in England) but I'm not exactly spoiled for choice here so I'm looking for something that doesn't pay minimum wage. :rolleyes: Any suggestions?! :D
    Keoghans, The Book Nest, Brodricks, Lieber and I presume you tried Easons!
    Most shop work here does seem to be minimum wage or perilously close to it. I have noticed that shops seem to be hiring very young staff - so they can be paid less? I live 22 miles from Sligo so I can't afford to work for minimum wage with petrol prices the way they are.

Ok, that's it. Well, you did ask! :D
    Sad but true!

Quote:
    Sullen shop staff. When I ask for something I can't seem to find, invaribly the reply is, "If it's not there, we don't have it." No, "I'll go and look for you." Or, "I can order it for you..?" I spent a year in England and if the staff there treated customers like that they'd be straight out on their a**e! Do these people not get staff training at all?

Thats countrywide my friend!

Seems to be particularly bad in Sligo.
    Quote:
    Needless to say, I only go to Sligo these days when I really really have to. I do my weekly shop in Carrick on Shannon now because I value what's left of my sanity!

I assume you mean the large stores on the outskirts of Carrick and not the town itself?

No, both on the outskirts and in the town. There is always parking spaces in the carpark behind the Bush Hotel. And it's free.
    Quote:
    As for work. Well, I was looking for work in a bookshop (I worked for a large chain in England) but I'm not exactly spoiled for choice here so I'm looking for something that doesn't pay minimum wage. Any suggestions?!

Keoghans, The Book Nest, Brodricks, Lieber and I presume you tried Easons!

Yep! Plus all the ones on Carrick.
    Quote:

Agreed! Another thing which annoys me is the fact there are no ashtrays in the bins! Make a difference im sure!

I don't smoke but my brother does so I take your point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 413 ✭✭sobriquet

I voted yes. There's a lot I like about it - walking distance to friends places and work, good places to go running (slishwood, hazelwood, union, racecourse) and cycling (the lake, union, ladies brae), surfing and plenty other things going on if you're willing to get involved. Most people involved in sports I know are crying out for people to get active with their clubs. (Anyone interested in mountain biking let me know btw, I'm trying to get back into it.)

As to the downsides, yeah, the Quayside and Johnston's court mightn't be up to much but that wouldn't bother me.

Nightlife is pretty crap alright, but there's some ledge pubs around for sessions. The Clarence seem to be keen on getting a good variety of gigs and events on so that might liven things up a bit.

All in all a decent spot as far as I'm concerned, for a town as small as it is. I lived in Letterkenny for a bit, and never completely got on with it. Sound people, but seemingly endless amounts of boy racers. Sligo doesn't seem to cater to any particular group more than other, which is a good thing I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I don't make a habit of defending Sligo town. If you read around this forum, you'll see that. You clearly stated that the more time you've spent away from Sligo, the more you dislike it. Seeing as you live in Cardiff, one would assume that's where you've drawn the comparison from. If you happen to be comparing Sligo with another Welsh town, of comparable size and location than your points are valid.
    I don't have all that much time for the town as it happens, but was just pointing out that it's unfair to compare it to actual cities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Gillie wrote: »
    Yes there is.
    I would take your comments seriously until you mentioned "shopping centre was designed by a crack smoking chimp"
    That's just childish talk!

Ok, maybe i was a bit harsh, it was clearly two chimps on crack and a marmoset with a drinking problem.
    ;)
    il gatto wrote: »
    I don't make a habit of defending Sligo town. If you read around this forum, you'll see that. You clearly stated that the more time you've spent away from Sligo, the more you dislike it. Seeing as you live in Cardiff, one would assume that's where you've drawn the comparison from. If you happen to be comparing Sligo with another Welsh town, of comparable size and location than your points are valid.
    I don't have all that much time for the town as it happens, but was just pointing out that it's unfair to compare it to actual cities.

I've lived in cardiff for about four months at this point, and i've lived about four other places since i left, some bigger, some smaller.
    But thats neither here nor there, feel free to assume wildly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Ok, maybe i was a bit harsh, it was clearly two chimps on crack and a marmoset with a drinking problem.
    ;)

I've lived in cardiff for about four months at this point, and i've lived about four other places since i left, some bigger, some smaller.
    But thats neither here nor there, feel free to assume wildly.

Until you choose to back up offensive statements like Sligo having "no character or soul", with some sort of examples or comparisons, then people will have to assume. If you're too busy imagining random fauna with addiction problems, maybe a few reasons for your views is too much to ask for.

• Advertisement

Now that I have a job, I like Sligo!

I was on the bus through the county this afternoon and wow but the weather was lovely and the sun was shining on the coast and the mountains.

It really is beautiful when the weather is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,895 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I like Sligo too..

... from a distance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

I found out today that I don't like,the town just annoys me but I cant quite put my finger on it:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

bobcar61 wrote: »
    I found out today that I don't like,the town just annoys me but I cant quite put my finger on it:confused:

And the winner of the Vaguest Post Of The Day is...

I love Sligo, buut if I see another man spit on the street I'm likely to do a ninja style kick to his throat. It makes me heave. Other than that all is good.

I've had a good nights sleep and I think I know what it is that annoys me.

1) Roadworks that last for months and years and when they are finally completed the road is in a worse condition than it was before they touched it.

2) There is no simple way of getting through the town,the Inner Relief Road was meant to be a by-pass but it went straight through the middle of town.

3) The timing of traffic lights don't allow enough cars to get through them(im impatient)

4) Building all these new developments and them lying empty for ages...Cleveragh Retail Park,the place beside 4 lights and the place on Pearse Rd,Pearse Plaza I think.

5) The road signs.A foreigner in Sligo must panic like mad when they get lost,the amounts of one-way streets,its just so damn confusing.

Feel free to challenge these points,but these are in my own opinion:D

I've had a good nights sleep and I think I know what it is that annoys me.

1) Roadworks that last for months and years and when they are finally completed the road is in a worse condition than it was before they touched it.

2) There is no simple way of getting through the town,the Inner Relief Road was meant to be a by-pass but it went straight through the middle of town.

3) The timing of traffic lights don't allow enough cars to get through them(im impatient)

4) Building all these new developments and them lying empty for ages...Cleveragh Retail Park,the place beside 4 lights and the place on Pearse Rd,Pearse Plaza I think.

5) The road signs.A foreigner in Sligo must panic like mad when they get lost,the amounts of one-way streets,its just so damn confusing.

Feel free to challenge these points,but these are in my own opinion:D

1) All over Ireland to be honest!

2) Plenty of handy ways to go to avoid traffic! You just have to know them!

3) I'd partly agree with this. Especially if your coming down Churchill and joining the "new road"

4) Agreed.

5) Meh! Try driving through Kilkenny or Galway or anywhere for that matter! That's what Sat Nav is for!
    The Signage has vastly improved in Sligo!

Gillie,to get from south of the town to the north of it,you have to cross hughes bridge or hyde bridge which both involve traffic.I know Sligo like the back of my hand and know that there are ways of avoiding the traffic but you have to join it again further on as it doesnt give you another option to crossing the bridge,this is why the East Link bridge will be so handy.

Also on point 3,the traffic lights at Kevinsfort Heath and 1st Sea Road are a joke.

Gillie,to get from south of the town to the north of it,you have to cross hughes bridge or hyde bridge which both involve traffic.I know Sligo like the back of my hand and know that there are ways of avoiding the traffic but you have to join it again further on as it doesnt give you another option to crossing the bridge,this is why the East Link bridge will be so handy.

Also on point 3,the traffic lights at Kevinsfort Heath and 1st Sea Road are a joke.

Sorry. I thought you might have meant going east to west or vice versa!

As for the lights you mentioned it depends which way you are going I guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't think any consideration was given to the people on the far side of the "new" road at all. Getting across it from the Strandhill /Rosses Point side in the mornings is a bloody joke. I usually go out the Oakfield Road from the roundabout at Magherabouy, cut onto the N4, turn off at the Caltragh roundabout & down the Caltragh Road to get into town in the mornings. It's quicker than waiting in a queue of 50-100 cars to cross the new road, but a bloody ridiculous, arseways route to have to take.

Another thing though that really doesn't help this is the driving around Sligo - my biggest bug is people who let other drivers pull out even though they don't have the right of way. It happens all the time at the N4 / Magherabouy Road junction....

A driver will let stop to let another driver on the opposite side of the road out to go left / right. Nice for the guy who's being let out - but what about the rules of the road? And even more important.. what about the 50 blooming cars behind you trying to cross the N4? It's all very well to show some courtesy to a car facing you as long as you don't show discourtesy to those behind you. It drives me insane.

Another thing that happens a lot at the same junction is cars who are trying to turn left / right onto the N4, "chancing it" & shooting across the road in front of you, causing you to break to avoid hitting them. I've been in half a mind more than once not to slow down, let them hit me & claim off their insurance. I need an upgrade on the car anyway.

Then there's parking illegally - do double yellow lines mean nothing in Sligo? The worst places for people parking / setting down on double yellow lines for me are the outside the Post Office & Murrays shop in Magherabouy, outside the Gourmet Parlour on Teeling Street, all of Old Market Street, outside Blockbusters in Wine St Car Park and across from the cinema on Wine Street.

And as for delivery trucks - well apparantley they have a license to park wherever the hell they feel like, as long as they don't have to actually walk more than the minimum distance to make their drop offs.

Then lastly, most drivers around town don't seem to understand that cutting corners is not only annoying to other drivers, but actually dangerous & don't get me started on old folk who refuse to drive over 5 miles an hour. :mad:

• Advertisement

Yes sorry I should have metionned North-South.

I find when your coming from town towards Strandhill the lights don't stay green for long.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement