Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vista , itunes problem

• 06-03-2008 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭

hi, itunes has stopped working on my brothers laptop, he is using vista business premium, quicktime has also stopped working, ive done a bit of research through google and some are saying ita a conflict issue that is causing the problem, i have removed a codec package which someone said could be causing a conflict and any other crap that he does not need. removed itunes and quicktime, downloaded the latest version and reinstalled it, no joy, did a virus scan(avg) and spyware scan(spybot&avg antispyware) no joy, did a system restore, no joy, am i looking at a reload of windows to sort the problem, drove me nuts, i spent 3 hours at it last night,

any ideas would be most welcomed,

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

How exactly has it stopped working? I found that the permissions on the itunes music directory kept changing to read only and stopping me me downloading podcasts and music. I removed the read only and it works ok, well till vista changes it back

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭junkster12345

when i double click it, it says itunes has stopped working, then pops up a screen saying apple have the latest version for download, i.e the one that im trying to open.

tis doing me nut in !

thanks for replying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

I had this, tbh I cannot recall what I did but I think it was the permissions of the media dir or the dir where it stores the xml file. I think it is a vista problem but then I could be wrong

Join Ireland Weather Network

the annoying thing is, itunes was previously working on it, but obviously somebody, downloaded something or changed something which i cant figure out,, i think a reload of windows is my easiest option as im not doing another 3 hours of wrecking my brain trying to figure it out,

does anyone know where i start regarding a reload of windows vista on a dell laptop, is the data stored on a partition on the hdd and can it be loaded from there or do i use the recovery disc ?

thanks for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Have you tried this before you go reinstalling:

• Advertisement

i shall try that and report back, even though im on vista and that is for xp, but sure ill try anything at this stage !!

Instructions should be the same just some extra UAC action. You could nuke the itunes registry entries but if haven't done it before I wouldn't advise it.

Sherifu wrote: »
    Instructions should be the same just some extra UAC action. You could nuke the itunes registry entries but if haven't done it before I wouldn't advise it.

nope, even the sound of it makes me say no !!

Shame to do a reinstall over itunes but it can be difficult to remove it properly.

problem solved guys, im not sure of the exact solution but here is what i did, just in case somebody else needs the information for future reference.

i had done some of these steps already, so here it goes.

1 uninstalled itunes

2 uninstalled quicktime

3 went to c:programfiles and removed the itunes folder and the quicktime one

4 i had read somewhere on the net that somebody said that it was a codec conflict, so i removed the codec package that i had downloaded and also removed it in the c/program files folder

i emptied the recycle bin

rebooted the laptop

i shut down any program that did not need to be running in the tray down by the clock

reloaded itunes+quicktime onto the laptop and hey presto,

lads, thanks a lot for your ideas and help,

paul.

• Advertisement

Another reinstall successfully averted :D

i was fully ready for a reinstall until ye got me to try one last time, thanks all

Advertisement