Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

yorkshire terrier please!

Options
  • 06-03-2008 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

hey,

I'm looking to get a wee yorkshire terrier for my aunt. She's always been a great dog lover and has had many breeds in the past. However, lately she's been going on about getting one of the small breeds of yorkshire terrier...i don't know if their an breed or not but miniature terrier? Basically she does not want a big dog, even a middle size one. So she's been talking to her friends and they've recommended the yorkie. Can anyone point me in the right direction with regards to locating a relieable breeder of these dogs?

Any internet sites in ireland either would be a good start.

Regards,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

There is no such thing as a mini yorkie, a Yorkshire Terrier is a Yorkshire Terrier, they are tiny anyway. She should get a dog just because she likes the look/size of it, small dogs need plenty of exersize just like a big dog. Would she consider a rescue? try http://petsireland.invisionzone.com or http://www.irishanimals.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

I have two yorkshire terriers, a normal sized one and a miniature/teacup yorkie. If there is no such thing as a miniature then who is that little ball of fluff on my couch relaxing while i'm in work!! And no she isn't a runt because the runt was even smaller than her.

They are great little dogs and we had to travel to Portlaois and Offaly to get ours. You should expect to pay about 400-500 for one. My mother got a pure bred rescue yorkie before christmas too so that is an option too.

They do need plenty of excersize and they are great dogs. Good luck

there's no such thing as a mini or teacup yorkie except in a greedy breeders mind, trying to sell a smaller-than-normal dog as a special breed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Dogs Aid regularly get yorkies in - given up etc
    Keep an eye on the website

www.dogsaid.ie

Had about 6 in since Xmas
    Plenty of rescues get yorkies

www.irishanimals.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

kerrysgold wrote: »
    there's no such thing as a mini or teacup yorkie except in a greedy breeders mind, trying to sell a smaller-than-normal dog as a special breed.

I'm not saying it is genetically a different breed dog, it is a smaller type of Yorkshire Terrier, i.e a miniature version. Brought about by selective breeding of smaller parents.

the smallest of the litter are usually the runts, and can be the sickliest, great dogs to be breeding from *sigh* :rolleyes: surely when you're breeding dogs you should only breed from the strongest/healthiest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

kerrysgold wrote: »
    the smallest of the litter are usually the runts, and can be the sickliest, great dogs to be breeding from *sigh* :rolleyes: surely when you're breeding dogs you should only breed from the strongest/healthiest.

Who says they are actually breeding from "runts"? Our first small/miniature yorkie was in fact the biggest of the litter of 3 and is still very small! We could breed from her if we wanted and you could easily still say shes a runt because she is smaller than an average yorkshire terrier. Its easy to point fingers. (Before anyone says it NO we're actaully not going to breed from her, shes only a pet.) We fell in love with her so much that we have gone on and gotten two more. We got a male again not the runt and hes a fine dog and small, our 3rd was in fact a runt ill agree but shes the same size as the other two were at her age at the moment. But do you get what i am saying, our eldest bitch (3) is a strong dog and vet checked her and no health problems we COULD breed from her but you would probably still say the same would you cause she is small and more than likely her pups would be IF we bred from the male we have too..

I have attached a pic of our three, the oldest on the left, youngest middle and middle aged on the right (the male). They are on a hot water bottle just to show how small they actually are..

DSCN0889.jpg

Im only trying to put a point across here not personally attacking anyone OR looking for a fight :)

Aimee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Molly-me

Who says they are actually breeding from "runts"? Our first small/miniature yorkie was in fact the biggest of the litter of 3 and is still very small! We could breed from her if we wanted and you could easily still say shes a runt because she is smaller than an average yorkshire terrier. Its easy to point fingers. (Before anyone says it NO we're actaully not going to breed from her, shes only a pet.) We fell in love with her so much that we have gone on and gotten two more. We got a male again not the runt and hes a fine dog and small, our 3rd was in fact a runt ill agree but shes the same size as the other two were at her age at the moment. But do you get what i am saying, our eldest bitch (3) is a strong dog and vet checked her and no health problems we COULD breed from her but you would probably still say the same would you cause she is small and more than likely her pups would be IF we bred from the male we have too..

I have attached a pic of our three, the oldest on the left, youngest middle and middle aged on the right (the male). They are on a hot water bottle just to show how small they actually are..

DSCN0889.jpg

Im only trying to put a point across here not personally attacking anyone OR looking for a fight :)

Aimee

hey aimee your doggies are absolutely beautiful what a fantastic shot
    Like you, i am not that harsh on the whole " you do not get small/teacup yorkies" blah blah blah, its like saying there is no such thing as short people or all short people are runts.
    May I ask what breeder you got your babies from? I am scanning the internet for months now for a breeder who wil NOT look at me as if i am satan for asking for a "small" yorkie or a breeder who will not rip me off and sell me a pup that turns out to be a giant when fully grown. I will be the happiest person in the world if I could have an angel looking anything like one of yours!
    molly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Everybody say Aww!!:pac:

tiny2wks.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭blinkey 101

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Everybody say Aww!!:pac:

tiny2wks.jpg
    ain't life amazing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Wexford Girl

Aww georgous. How old is he/she?