Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking Your Age

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

WindSock wrote: »
    What are you talking about? How is a fake moustache going to help the OP's problem? :p

Fake mustaches are the answer to all of life's problems... well that and ponchos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I've been working in a hospital for 7months or so, all I can offer is:

I can usually tell regs/sho's from random staff or patients by the way they dress. A lot of the female ones I see dress very...sorry, cant think of a better word than classily. Heels, tights, long skirts and nice blouses/tops. I know its not very helpful or descriptive but hopefully you get what I mean. One poor respiratory reg was short, had a really cute/girly high pitched voice but made up for it by the way she dressed.

When they're in scrubs, I can usually still tell which are doctors and which are nurses/theatre staff just by bearing/self-possesion(is that a word?) - and this goes for those who just do trousers+jumper.

Wow, thats absolutely no help. Oh well. I'll keep an eye out for a doctor who looks 14 and say "Hello, I come from the internet".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Fake mustaches are the answer to all of life's problems... well that and ponchos.

Add sombreros and pinatas to that mix then we have a deal. Not to mention fajitas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

And tequila!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I look older with my hair up but I try avoid it because I'm self concious about the shape of my face. I am dark skinned so I don't wear make up much, plus I tend to have to wash alot during the day so I'd be re-applying multiple times.

PSI, I always thought you were a bloke...until I read the above!

If you're now a woman, I can't help.

If you're still a bloke...then I have the answer to all your problems...

The monacle and bow-tie combo.

Never fails.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i think i tend to look older than i am. usually passing for 23-26. i turned 20 two days ago. i dont mind either way. i like not getting asked for ID (specially as my garda ID gets some weird looks over this side of the world), and i dont think it'll be an issue til im 25 and getting mistaken for being in my 30s.

i guess it helps that my b/f is so much older htan me... makes the age gap a little less weird to the general public or something.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Start smoking. I'm 31, but people have guessed my age at anything up to 40. :(

So, I don't really have any advice to give, having the opposite problem, but I can say I'd rather people thought I was younger than think I'm in my 40's.

(Do not start smoking)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

i look really young or so im told.

Though i never get asked for ID going into pubs which is odd....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

I'm 31 but one fella described me as late 40's, early 50's. Disgusted!!!!!!!

My g/f on the other hand is 32 and she gets asked for her ID.

God only knows what bouncers must think of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would suggest changing your work wardrobe to something more conservative and with an older/retro cut/tailoring. Also wear your work ID in a more prominent place.

People underestimate my age from anything from 6 to 12 years but it depends on what I am wearing. Apparently 33 year old mother's of two don't wear combats and rage against the machine t shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Crazy Catlady

I think I look my age, 32 but people would guess anything from 26/27, which is never a bad thing :)
    My sister is 25 and constantly has trouble being taken seriously in her job cos people assume she is younger.
    I think someone else made the point about dressing "classy". I know what they mean. There are some women who thrown on a suit and top and look fine. Some women, age irrelenvant exude "class" tho, and that automatically gives them a sense of confidence and power.
    It makes people they come in contact with respond to them in a different way, usually more respectfully.
    This isn't a beauty or age issue. Its about projecting confidence and control. People are less likeky to question someone who assumes authority.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I tend to dress business casual, which my brother tells me makes me look like I've just made my confirmation.

You're taking fashion advice from your brother!?
    Considering his dress sense I'd ignore anything further he has to say on the subject ;)
    I don't follow fashion but I just wear what I like.

I do the same. If you like it, feel comfortable in it, I think that's fine.

Is the shape of your face so bad that you really would never think of tying it up?
    Wearing a bit of lipstick and eye shadow might also help.
    Anyways today and I was at the staff vending machine, with know white coat and one of the senior admins came up and asked me what was I doing here and where my parents were.

Most annoying I'm sure. But in another 10 years time you'll be thrilled!
    As Thaed said, wear your tag where people can see it, if there are any more comments, point at it and look them square in the eye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Niamho!

Hey OP I have the same problem, though not to the extreme extent you suffer through. I'm 24 and look a fair bit younger. I got ID'd getting fags a few weeks ago after work when I was dressed v respectably (or so I thought). Was morto. Whenever I moan about this, I'm always told that it's a compliment, I'll be glad when I'm older etc. It's just one of those things I guess, sorry.

mm-hhmm. i dont look younger and i dont have those problems but the very odd time when i do get ID'd i freak out. I HATE it!!! people tell me its a compliment and all that but its So feckin annoying when it happens!! i dont wanna look younger now i wanna look younger when im in my 30's!!!

I look about 17 I think. I am sure my navy raincoat and carrying my laptop bag/backpack around the place doesn't help. Bus drivers try giving me schoolchild fares sometimes o.O
    At least I haven't been asked very recently am I doing my LC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

People always think I am younger than what I am, although a lot of the time it's probably down to how I act :). I also carry a fake student ID to get into places cheaper, so it's not so bad. As for making myself look older, I guess I don't really try to. I just wear what I feel most comfortable in, and if people mistake me for a different age, I just laugh.
    Sorry Psi for assuming you were a guy aswell. I didn't read your first post properly. You must really feel like you have an identity crisis now ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I had this problem for a long time but age is catching up with me these days, but it wasnt just my face, but a young sounding voice also.

Yes to look older, or to compensate for the lack of authority your youthful looks give you, dress more conservatively and carry yourself with more ownership.

I think alot of this can be camouflaged by body language and vocal changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 shell63

I'm 25 and I look about 18/19 (I'm short which for some reason does tend to make people think you look younger and I'm not big into strong lipstick or makeup colours) However, colleagues have always assumed I am older than I am. This may not be much help to the OP but as other posters have said, I think your manner and presence have a huge influence on the matter. To be honest, I'm never bothered by looking young because I know the moment I open my mouth that perception is changed. I wonder if perhaps OP doesn't feel as confident about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭LadyE

Niamho! wrote: »
    mm-hhmm. i dont look younger and i dont have those problems but the very odd time when i do get ID'd i freak out. I HATE it!!! people tell me its a compliment and all that but its So feckin annoying when it happens!! i dont wanna look younger now i wanna look younger when im in my 30's!!!

Hi!!!!

Personally, I think you look young for your age, not too young, you're fresh faced, but you would know your in your twenties, nice balance I think!!

You look great!

I don't think I look young. I've never been ided (except obviously in the US where they have to id everyone)....I regularly passed for over 18 from age 11 on.

But alot of the teenagers now style themselves to look much older than they are.
    I was home this christmas, and I was a bit surprised that the place had managed to attract so many new hotties.
    So I'm the middle of giving a nearby one the eye, and my mates little baby brother starts to chat him up. They are in same year in school! :eek:

Talk about morto...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭gollyitsolly

Smoke 40 a day,have children,get a huge mortgage, loose the job...............you,ll age overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I'm always mistaken for being about 16 or 17 when I'm 24. I reckon some of us are blessed with youthful looks. Long may it last I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You're taking fashion advice from your brother!?
    Considering his dress sense I'd ignore anything further he has to say on the subject ;)

what...whats wrong with how I dress ? :eek:
    :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thaedydal wrote: »
    People underestimate my age from anything from 6 to 12 years but it depends on what I am wearing. Apparently 33 year old mother's of two don't wear combats and rage against the machine t shirts.
    37yo ones do too. :) And I will till they pass a law against it.

At least thats nailed the debate on PSI's gender, thank you.

And if you dont want to go to extremes just avoid anything you think your 13yo relatives would like.

Syke wrote: »
    what...whats wrong with how I dress ? :eek:
    :(

How old are you? I'd say 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Moonbaby wrote: »

ROFFLE!

Pleaaaaseeee tell me you based that on postings/maturity :)

ROFFLE!

Pleaaaaseeee tell me you based that on postings/maturity :)

No from his pic in Know your Lookalikey....:o

s1ex3.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

Moonbaby wrote: »

Now that is an ironic post in this thread.

I'm 30 :):)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Syke wrote: »
    Now that is an ironic post in this thread.

I'm 30 :):)

Ah here, there's a gross injustice happening to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Mrs_Doyle

Well I MUST be old, because now when people tell me I look way younger then I am, I take it as a compliment!!!!!! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

I'm 19, but friends say I look younger. While at work however, most of the people I work with thought I was around 22/23. Some of the Polish lads were shocked I wasn't married with a few kids! :eek:

Advertisement