Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking Your Age

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

ive just turned 27, sob! anyway.. moving on..
    people on the phone think im in my late 30's, then they call into the office & walk by me thinking that girl couldnt be kiya... blah blah blah.
    @h.
    the cheek.
    i wear fab suits. i walk & talk with authority. i have an "older hairstyle", i even wear frikn scarves too. & granny pearls.
    i dont know what else to do to "look older".

its not my fault that people are IGNORANT.

ive decided to ignore them (& occassionally make em squirm,) and its working a treat.

anway op, try not to let it get you down.
    you'll look great for years,
    and i love it, people pay good money for facelifts, anti wrinkle creams etc etc and we've go it for free.

i turned around to that manager & noticed the wrinkles and just smiled.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

It doesn't get me down. It is terribly frustrating though. You work very hard to be taken seriously at a professional level but then you have to go that extra step further than all your co-workers and dress and appear a certain way just to get the same level of respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

So you think your peers respect you less because you look younger? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

It doesn't get me down. It is terribly frustrating though. You work very hard to be taken seriously at a professional level but then you have to go that extra step further than all your co-workers and dress and appear a certain way just to get the same level of respect.

As my late father used to say ... "well haven't you got high class problems."

he read your posts on boards then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

In a lot of professions you have to look the part. Whether thats to get attention, respect or whatever. Suddenly pretending it isnt true and insulting PSI is a bit silly imho.

Doctors are expected to look like Doctors, bankers like bankers and secretaries/PA's like themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

he read your posts on boards then?

Didn't have to.

Didn't have to.

Lucky man.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Can we stop the bickering, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

im 27 and a teacher, and because i also look young for my age....which is really hard when ur a teacher cause some of the students look older than...so feel your pain!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Do you find it important to look your age? Do you look your actual age or do you look older or younger? Do you try and dress older or younger than you are?
    Only 20 and don't use much makeup, so in the States if I want to crash a bar with a false ID to drink, I must look, act, and dress older.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Fake mustaches are the answer to all of life's problems... well that and ponchos.
    And we all know you can never be unhappy in a poncho.

Meh, people never believe I'm 29, I was asked for id up until I was 27.
    I've always looked about 5 years younger then I am, doen't bother me though.
    My mums in her 50s and looks better then most women in their late 30s, so I have that to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭diamondp

i really know how annoying this can be. now im 30 this yr and my bf is 40, now when i have my make-up on and my fancy clothes for going out on i do look a lot younger which is bad when you get mistaken for your bf 18 yr old daughter.not to mention how he feels when it happens. i have just gotten used to this and laugh it off now. What else can you do! Cant wear a sign saying he's not my dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

To be honest (as this thread demonstrates), I have the same problem, only it doesn't bother me as much.

I guess it may be less of an isssue for guys?

Syke wrote: »
    To be honest (as this thread demonstrates), I have the same problem, only it doesn't bother me as much.

I guess it may be less of an isssue for guys?

It might be more of an issue socially, if you were a little less attractive.
    I think it comes down to your line of work.
    I genuinely don't think age or appearance matters in mine, but not being one of the lads can.

Moonbaby wrote: »
    It might be more of an issue socially, if you were a little less attractive.
    Are you coming on to me? :p

Syke wrote: »
    Are you coming on to me? :p

eemmhh no actually...:o

A good rule of thumb for my romantic overtures....if you feel terrified, your being hit on.

eemmhh no actually...:o

A good rule of thumb for my romantic overtures....if you feel terrified, your being hit on.

Don't worry, I was only joking :)

My romantic overtures only seem to end up involving people with deep seeded emotional problems :(

Worried me? :P

Do you remember The Brain from animaniacs......no matter how different he looks on paper....I always end up that guy.

I'm convinced it is down to a fatal flaw in my overture. If I manage to pinpoint the problem, I promise I'll let you in on the secret.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

I've always looked on the young side, its def in my genes though. We were on my hen night a month ago and I was ordering wine from the wine list in a restaurant. 2 minutes later the waiter came back down and said 'could I see some ID please'. I was like 'what, I'm 27'! Still had to hand over the ID though.

A teller in Dunnes made a show of me at Christmas in front of a long queue of impatient people insisting I show her some ID when I was trying to buy wine. I had none on me and only for the intervention of some poor guy behind me telling her to cop on I'd still be there....

It's kinda flattering but sometimes annoying. I don't forget my ID anymore:D

• Advertisement

Do you remember The Brain from animaniacs.......
    Thats a pretty good description of Syke actually....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

WindSock wrote: »
    So you think your peers respect you less because you look younger? :confused:
    Makes perfect sense.
    And it's also perfectly reasonable to get annoyed by it. As I said, my two mates are going on 29 (doctor) and 30 (teacher) and it's highly frustrating for them to have their positions and hard work, as well as the years of study they did, undermined by people who make comments like "I'm not having a little young one like her giving me a medical check-up" or "I'm not having a little young one like her teaching my kids".
    Being female might be a problem too, although actually, I'd say a very young looking lad would be taken even less seriously.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Meh, I've been told
    "I'm not having you teaching me, you can't be old enough to know anything "
    Its a ****e thing to hear but it's their problem, I'm in the position I'm in because I worked for it/earned it. If they want to go above me with that as a reason for me not to teach them, well then they're the ones that are going to get laughed at and will still be taught by me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

But the OP's problem is with the people she works with.It is highly unprofessional of them to be treating her different because she is percieved to be younger. As for people not wanting to be seen by a young looking female doctor, well that's their loss. I don't think they would be so picky if they were about to die, or if they had to wait a couple of years to be seen to like over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I actually prefer having younger-looking doctors, because every young doctor I've had has been a lot more conscientious and thoughful than the older ones. Not that the older ones were bad or anything, but the younger ones have always explained things very thoroughly to me and spent a long time going over various medication options etc., whereas older doctors have a tendency to shove a prescription at you and have you out the door before you know what's happened.

Totally anecdotal there but given the choice between a GP in their late twenties and one in their late fifties, I'd definitely be going for the younger one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

That's because you're young too, so maybe you'd prefer someone with whom you'd have more in common. A woman in her late fifties would probably prefer to have a check-up done by a doctor that age.

Then again maybe some younger people would prefer to be looked after by a doctor who's in their late 50s - a "parental" figure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭Lilym

I don't look my age, i look younger which is great ..it all adds up when I get older:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,513 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was asked for id in Dunnes last week. Score!

Probably has more to do with my studenty clothes than anything though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

I'm about to turn 30, and have always looked young for my age. I'm doing a PhD and many people I meet in the college assume I'm an undergrad. Most people pass comment on my "youthful looks" when they hear my age.

It doesn't bother me now, I don't work in a job where I have to interact with people much so it's not like people will judge me like a doctor or teacher. And, heading into my 30s, I like looking young. People don't raise their eyebrows when I say I'm in college because they think I'm in my early twenties. Or if I'm working in a part-time job with loads of students, I don't look out of place. I suspect I'm missing out on being judged to be lazy and immature by a lot of people because they don't know my age.

However, it bothered me enormously when I was 24ish, and starting out in the big bad world. When you're in college, having a babyface isn't an issue but when you're hanging around people in their mid/late twenties and you look 18, it can be a problem. I think that women don't like being with a guy who looks younger than them anymore than they like being with a guy who's shorter than them, and 5/6 years ago I was a bit insecure about my baby-faced looks when mixing with women my own age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Esmereldina

I ask because of two incidents this week. I'm at the end of my 20's and I'm a senior professional in my work (which is a hospital). I tend to dress business casual, which my brother tells me makes me look like I've just made my confirmation. Outside of work I tend to dress pretty much the way I've dressed for the past 10 years, I don't follow fashion but I just wear what I like.

I'm covering a hospital that I don't normally work at the moment so noone knows me there. Anyways today and I was at the staff vending machine, with know white coat and one of the senior admins came up and asked me what was I doing here and where my parents were. Now, this wasn't a glance from the side or behind, this person could see me quite clearly.

So now I'm feeling like I really need to do something to make myself look much older. Any suggestions?

Anyone else have this problem?

Yep I have exactly the same problem, I'm in my mid twenties and look like I'm 16/17!! It can get really annoying. I work in a university so the usual is that I get mistaken for a student. And looks of amazement followed by 'but you look so young to be doing ...'
    I do try to dress up a bit on the days when I'm teaching, and I find that just wearing nice shoes and a skirt (or whatever) helps to distinguish me from the masses of scruffy students in jeans, hoodies and ugg boots ;)
    I don't think any of this does too much though... I fear I will look 16 for a long time to come!
    Anyway, maybe its my hair cut or something but last week I was getting petrol and the attendant came out and asked where my parents were and who was paying. I kinda ignored it and brushed it off but something that happened in work today reaaaaly pushed me over the edge.

As for the hair comments.. are you my evil twin??? I always get told I'd look older if I wore it up but I hate it like that!
    How long do you wear it? I got mine cut quite a bit shorter recently and some layers at the front. I think that already looks better than wearing it straight (if yours is straight) as I normally do.

If you find any solutions, let me know :D

Advertisement