Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bike stolen

Options
  • 06-03-2008 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

new bike stolen from schoolyard, it was locked and covered by cctv, still diddent stop them ,,,my question is does it have to be listed on the house insurance to be covered? also would it be covered on the school insurance? or am i just grasping at straws ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

sohappy wrote: »
    new bike stolen from schoolyard, it was locked and covered by cctv, still diddent stop them ,,,my question is does it have to be listed on the house insurance to be covered? also would it be covered on the school insurance? or am i just grasping at straws ?

not a chance mate sorry:o:o
    i had a really expensive one robbed from my shed and the house insurance wouldnt cover it:o

****ing pikies, what bike was it, there seems to be alot of high end stuff being nicked in the past 2 months:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Studoc

kona wrote: »
    not a chance mate sorry:o:o
    i had a really expensive one robbed from my shed and the house insurance wouldnt cover it:o

****ing pikies, what bike was it, there seems to be alot of high end stuff being nicked in the past 2 months:eek:

Sorry to hear about that. What I can't understand are the people who buy these stolen high end bikes (and they have to know they are stolen if they cost a fraction of their market value). Can't imagine they are real cyclists at all. Really wish the Gards would come down hard on these langers (thieves and receivers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Never sure of the details, but you can get it on your house ins. I have my bike listed on house insurance and i'm covered if its stolen from anywhere. I know because i've successfully claimed on it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Generally it is no problem to list it on your house insurance but it does have to be explicitly listed. No harm asking though, and making sure to list the next one. It may be free or there may be a charge depending on the type of cover you want (e.g. do you want coverage if it is stolen from elsewhere.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Studoc wrote: »
    What I can't understand are the people who buy these stolen high end bikes (and they have to know they are stolen if they cost a fraction of their market value).

I had an £800 (old moneys) BMX robbed on me. 2 weeks later it was found by a mate with some kid on it. he had bought it from a friend at school for £20!
    DavyD_83 wrote: »
    I know because i've successfully claimed on it before.

I too have successfully claimed, but as far as i remember, i had it listed seperately on the policy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

it was one of these,,,,,, if anyone knows of a bike shop in the dublin area doin a deal on one of these im interested in getting another one,

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/28465/52368.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

blorg wrote: »
    Generally it is no problem to list it on your house insurance but it does have to be explicitly listed.

So untrue - most companies will only insured bikes up to about 1500 euro or so. And alot of companies won't insure any bikes used in competition.

Pretty useless to be honest. And I'd say worse for the companies. High end races bike (5k+) generally stay in the house, and are either in the house or under the rider while the cheaper bikes will be left in sheds and locked all around town.

(If anyone knows of a compnay that will cover bikes that cost many many lots let me know)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

ci_bike_insurance_offer.jpg

So this covers policy for 125 euro covers ALL my bikes? I was debating joining cycling ireland but saw no need - if this is the case I will be joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭trinewbie

Yes it will cover ALL your bikes - best to check with them for the specifics though - Even for just peace of mind its a small price to pay

Tunney - there are other benefites to joining cycling Ireland, namely their insurance when training/ racing, but I assume your TI membership will cover off this aspect for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I have three bikes listed on my household insurance policy. I think it costs me an extra 60 brick per year. Can't remember which company it's with, but I can find it out if anyone wants to know...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

I have three bikes listed on my household insurance policy. I think it costs me an extra 60 brick per year. Can't remember which company it's with, but I can find it out if anyone wants to know...

Man, nothing like a thread to induce paranoia......:eek:

I've just put the bike on the home insurance policy, all risks, for 10% of it's value.

I've noticed a lot of vandalism in town and this is covered too, Hope I never use it.... things seem to have changed since I used to cycle everywhere in the late 80's and through the 90's then It never occurred to me that my bike might be nicked. funny , when you take the cost of the bike against the avg wage, they have got cheaper ...

Back then if it was locked it was safe, if it was locked twice, it was really safe...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

The CI policy isn't great for bike theft ...
    Exclusion 7 – Theft
    1) No liability shall be accepted for theft of property that is left unattended
    2) No liability shall be accepted for theft of property left in or on any unattended vehicle unless –
    i) The vehicle is fitted with a professionally approved and installed alarm and intruder System
    ii) The doors of the vehicle are locked and all windows and other openings fully closed and properly
    fastened
    iii) The Property is concealed from view and in a locked boot where such facilities are available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rob1891

sorry, I should clarify, it is covered if there is a theft from your house, or even fire damage. But if it is stolen while locked in town, hard luck! Also, as you can see from above, it is only covered if stolen from a car when it is inside the boot and obsucred from view ... not locked to a bike rack or in the boot with the back seats down (the way I most often transport my bike).

Emmmmm I think the insurance is probably aimed at bikes that *aren't* going to be locked around town. If its a bike you lock it around town, imho, it dones't matter if it gets nicked. Its the ones you won't lock around town that would hurt. if they were nicked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭zorkmundsson

tunney wrote: »
    Emmmmm I think the insurance is probably aimed at bikes that *aren't* going to be locked around town. If its a bike you lock it around town, imho, it dones't matter if it gets nicked. Its the ones you won't lock around town that would hurt. if they were nicked
    man i lock my low-end roadie around town a fair bit and i would be ragin' if somebody lifted it. lost the front wheel a fortnight after getting it and nearly had a Falling Down moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

TBH I don't think that it would be profitable for any company to set up an insurance system for bikes that would be locked in town. It seems that at least 4 a day go walkies (maybe more).

Advertisement