Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT News and Boards.ie

Options
  • 06-03-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭

Yeh I’m famous, well not really.

It seems my writing skills are far more superior than I first imagined. I’m so good that DIT NEWS have a story about a thread I started here two months ago.

Or it could also be seen as, DIT news is so bad they have to use a Random DIT boards member to get there information and entertainment.
    The latter seems most likely.

http://blah.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=54805690&mode=linear#post54805690

Check it out.
    Pg 7 ‘Kevin St exam cheat: you couldn’t make it up’
    A Boards.ie post shows the best reason to bring water into an exam...

Although after looking at it again, it seems that there is tons of mistakes .I’m badly misquoted ( ‘particularly astute’,’equal measure’ and’ Deftness’ are certainly not in my vocab book) and there’s a distinctive lack of crap grammar.
    I’m going to have to complain I’m afraid. As DIT bordsies you’re all entitled to bit of the compensation Package too.
    Let’s get them for everything they have. There a full Profit organisation right?;) There probably rolling in it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

I haven't read it, but I think I know the girl who wrote it... infact I think I showed her the thread. I was looking at boards and she asked me about some cheating thread she had heard of, so I showed it to her and it went from there.
    I think it's pretty damn poor journalism, if they had been bothered they could have gone out and asked people for anecdotal cheating bits etc.

It really takes the whole "stealing ideas from boards.ie" to a new level :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

I think its a good piece and if it gets more people from DIT onto boards.ie to discuss things then that has to be good.

She referenced that it was from here as well which shows that she wasn't trying to pass it off as independent research or anything. Also, talking about cheating and putting acroos the point that it wont be tolerated or is unacceptable is good. Pity the thread was locked though.

Maybe she should have done some research though, rather then just throwing down some internet hearsay.

I do agree with the more traffic for boards.ie bit though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Beekay

Whatever about it being mentioned in DIT news.....that thread is hilarious!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i locked that thread. surely i should get some sort of "man of the year" award for that... no?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

i locked that thread. surely i should get some sort of "man of the year" award for that... no?

No your a racist. Boards should remove you.

The original thread was quite fantastic alright. The author of the piece was infact the girl in my class, so I should get some sort of medal/beating for showing her the blessed way. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭strychnine

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

The original thread was quite fantastic alright. The author of the piece was infact the girl in my class, so I should get some sort of medal/beating for showing her the blessed way. :)

Inform her that I have some new Hearsay gossip that she could circulate in the next issue.

Its a hard hitting article bound to raise a few Questions.

'Is DIT News Campist ? (Showing favour towards one main campus in a big gay way) ":cool:

I don't care if its situated in Aungier street.Theres too much 'News' about Aungier st there ( i.e The news in the 'Dit corridors' bit - all in Aungier street! )

Wheres the banter from Rathmines? Don't yous remember Rathmines ?

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

joeybloggs wrote: »
    Inform her that I have some new Hearsay gossip that she could circulate in the next issue.

Its a hard hitting article bound to raise a few Questions.

'Is DIT News Campist ? (Showing favour towards one main campus in a big gay way) ":cool:

I don't care if its situated in Aungier street.Theres too much 'News' about Aungier st there ( i.e The news in the 'Dit corridors' bit - all in Aungier street! )

Wheres the banter from Rathmines? Don't yous remenber Rathmines ?

Try going to DIT Temple Bar.. We ARE the forgotten college.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Rojo wrote: »
    Try going to DIT Temple Bar.. We ARE the forgotten college.

:confused:

DIT T..emp..le B..a...r ?

Your talking crap.Everyone knows Temple Bar is just full of drunks and tourists.Just cause your always in the pub down there all the time dosen't make it a campus.
    Grow up Rojo, this is a serious issue.;)

It's quite true though, it does tend to be a bit biased towards Aungier St. ... but it's getting better. The first issue had a vox pop that was made up solely of people from the journalism course!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Could anybody scan the article and unload it here?

I'm not in DIT, but do run a small college newspaper else where. So, for what it's worth here's my interjection to this thread...

Was your "kevin Street Wit at exam time" an correct account of what you saw or not?

Even if it was, she should have tried to contacted you before before publication. For all she knew it was a bunch of nonsense. So, the main problem I can seen is fact checking.
    I think it's pretty damn poor journalism, if they had been bothered they could have gone out and asked people for anecdotal cheating bits etc.

Anecdotal vs eyewitness?... hmm... if only - again - the fact checking was not ok.
    It really takes the whole "stealing ideas from boards.ie" to a new level :p.

Commenting here is commenting in public. And unless a newspaper was wholesale copying threads (very unlikely), there's no copyright or other "stealing" issues.
    'Is DIT News Campist ?.... I don't care if its situated in Aungier street.Theres too much 'News' about Aungier st there ( i.e The news in the 'Dit corridors' bit - all in Aungier street! )... Wheres the banter from Rathmines? Don't yous remember Rathmines ?

Emailing or contacting the paper somehow complaining might be a better idea. Even more so when you have a number of posts here digging into them for even using boards a source.

Keep in mind, with only a short time span (compared to professional journalists) to build up contacts and finding where to look for news, it can be hard to source news. The IT's building spread around Dublin couldn't possible help matters.

I haven't grasped the multi-qoute thang yet so apologies for any confusion...

It was a shoddy story from a normally quality writer. They could have fleshed it out by asking people about their experience of cheating. (anecdote : "a short account of a particular incident or event of an interesting or amusing nature"). Now, having said that, the writer didn't really have a lot of space, but she did manage to misqoute the original and really lost the impact.
    The fact checking wasn't ok, she didn't even contact the original poster.

The "stealing ideas from boards.ie" was in qoutation marks for a reason, it's because there's quite a lot of complaining that certain branches of the media just mine boards.ie for story ideas. Personally I don't think this is a bad thing really, but there are some people around here that dislike it.

Contacting to complain is definitly a good idea, but people from the paper do comment on the going on in the boards.ie DIT forum, I've been in paper meetings where such topics have been raised... only to have to explain I was the one behind the thread etc.

I disagree about the contacts issue. When you're working in such a limited area (regardless of the spread out campus issue) most of the contacts are at your fingertips.
    I don't know what it's like for your college paper, but in DIT you can grab a list of the society contacts from the society office, same for sports, and a quick look on the DIT website will give you contact details for the relevant officials etc. Plus the paper is often contacted with content rather then having to hunt people down. That's not saying they don't work hard to come up with content, I'm just saying they get a fair amount of societies etc coming to them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

...The fact checking wasn't ok, she didn't even contact the original poster.

Woops, I meant "not ok" rather then ok, fixed now.
    Contacting to complain is definitly a good idea, but people from the paper do comment on the going on in the boards.ie DIT forum, I've been in paper meetings where such topics have been raised...

It's good to hear that they are reading this forum.
    I don't know what it's like for your college paper, but in DIT you can grab a list of the society contacts from the society office, same for sports, and a quick look on the DIT website will give you contact details for the relevant officials etc.

I'm in a college which is very much so smaller, so societies and the like are in the form of small clubs.
    Plus the paper is often contacted with content rather then having to hunt people down. That's not saying they don't work hard to come up with content, I'm just saying they get a fair amount of societies etc coming to them.

Maybe they are being feed stories more from one campus then the other? I don't know.

The actual physical base for the college is in Aungier St. and the journalism degree course (where the majority of writers are from) is also based in Aungier St. so there is a bit of a natural tendency to cover Aungier St. stories. To fix this there needs to be more focus on finding stories from the other campuses AND more contributers from the other locations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 RossKavanagh18

Hey is anybody here studying Automotive management and Technology in Bolton Street???

Advertisement