Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about switching speakers?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭

Ok so I have a big fat pair of sexy Genelecs and I want to buy jo average crap speakers and here my mix through both?

1. How is this achieved?

2. What box do I need to switch between speaker?

A reply with links and info would be soooo much apreciated? No rush guys...

Thankyou

DAMHAN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Maplin do very simple boxes for speaker selection. About 10 euro for a 2 speaker mix.

Then you can swap from a-b with a simple button. Cheap and it works.

Mackie do the Big Knob, full of neat features, but $$$.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Maplin do very simple boxes for speaker selection. About 10 euro for a 2 speaker mix.

Then you can swap from a-b with a simple button. Cheap and it works.

Mackie do the Big Knob, full of neat features, but $$$.

Hey unclebill98 thanks for the quick accurate and very helpful reply. The Big knob is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks a mill :))))

No worries,

Also look at,

Samson C-control.
    SPL Electronics Volume 2 and 8

What sort of budget you got for the 2nd pair of monitors?

No worries,

Also look at,

Samson C-control.
    SPL Electronics Volume 2 and 8

What sort of budget you got for the 2nd pair of monitors?

Well I am getting paid on the 2nd week of April so money is not the thing, I was looking at the

http://www.dv247.com/invt/37496/

as a refrence cheapy speaker set what do you think unclebill?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Hunt down a pair of NS10s , yer only man ......

• Advertisement

PaulBrewer wrote: »

Ya swine.... was just about to say that!!

I think has to be a good reason as to why 90% of US studios have a pair of them, well apart from them being given out free to boost there profile in studios!!

I got a pair a few years back, great sound.... even got spares for it just incase.

There about 300-400 for a pristine pair...

Brewer your a swine wheres a link? Jeepers, I take that back they are sexy looking..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

There about 300-400 for a pristine pair...

No way... i was on the lookout for budget monitors a while back, should have looked out for a pair of those... :(

They look highly professional

Well there on ebay for £175 at the moment.

I got mine off an ad in TBMC, seen a few ad's over the years with people selling them.

I paid 300euros.

From reading up about them, there not the best monitors in the world. It has been said doh, that if you can get a good mix on some NS10's then you have a good mix.

They do benefit from having a very good amp.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

I prefer mixerman's nicname for them - white coned c***suckers. I really hear nothing special about them in terms of bringing out sections of a mix that might be troublesome in a mix. They seem to be so popular because Bob Clearmountain settled on them pretty arbitrarily (spares easily available for them then) as a part of his travelling rig. They're not being made anymore, are overpriced for what they are and you pay a fortune for spares.

If I had a decent set of genelecs, I'd be more inclined to spend fifty to a hundred on a set of multimedia 2.1 speakers which would allow me to reference with a consumer style subwoofer, and to switch off the subwoofer listening to the mix on limited range speakers for the micro-boombox experience.

Ultimately I am looking for something that is really cheap because the consumer is hardly going to have posh speakers. I remember one client asked me why the demo I made for her sounded bad through her lap top internal speakers!! As for sleekness and design I really like the NS10s..

squibs wrote: »

I prefer mixerman's nicname for them - white coned c***suckers. I really hear nothing special about them in terms of bringing out sections of a mix that might be troublesome in a mix. They seem to be so popular because Bob Clearmountain settled on them pretty arbitrarily (spares easily available for them then) as a part of his travelling rig. They're not being made anymore, are overpriced for what they are and you pay a fortune for spares.

If I had a decent set of genelecs, I'd be more inclined to spend fifty to a hundred on a set of multimedia 2.1 speakers which would allow me to reference with a consumer style subwoofer, and to switch off the subwoofer listening to the mix on limited range speakers for the micro-boombox experience.

There was an techy article in Audio Media I think about NS10s recently and the conclusion they came to was that NS10s were unexceptional in many areas (frequency response being an obvious one!)

Where they were exceptional was in it's Frequency response against time - The 'Waterfall' chart you may have seen in FFT specs.
    This makes them particularly useful at defining the relationship between instruments, the 'hard' bit of mixing.

However they don't do that by themselves, they must be driven by a very good quality amp. I spoke to Bob Clearmountain and Cenzo Townshend about this very subject. Cenzo uses a Bryston, so he's probably driving a 450 Euro pair of speakers with a £2k amp! Such is the mad world of audio.

Bob uses the NS10s for all the spade work and refers to other speakers for a quick low end check.

I definitely wouldn't buy a 2.1 system (it's very hard to get the .1 to make sense especially in a cheap system) However I would suggest as a first step buy a pair of Multimedia speakers as an alternative.
    I find that the mere fact you're listening on a different set of speakers 'resets' the ears in a good way.

Bob uses an old Mac pair!

http://www.mixthis.com/AppleSpeakers.html

NS10s aren't the industry standard for nothing.

I'll put a Euro in the PoorBox for name dropping too....

Also I think whatever you pay for an NS10 pair now you'll get at least that again for them in 5 years time - what other piece of Audio gear can you say that about??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭sei046

I use NS10s and love them. mind you hearing bass on them takes some gettin use to

Ns10's it is :)

Good reply ''ya all''

Dr.phil

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

ns10's. the monitors that became famous for being crap. 'if you can get it sounding good on ns10's, it'll sound good on anything' was the old adage.

i actually think they're great as a quick reference monitor, and as Paul says they are good in regards frequency versus time.
    In Bob Katz's book he goes on about how one of the most common things wrong with mixes he gets sent for mastering is the fact they've been mixed on ns10's. there's all sorts of weird transient things that go on in the lower midrange apparently.

i think it's hilarious though when people have a set of ns10's as their only monitors in their studio and say 'look at these, industry standard don't ya know'. And you try and politely say 'industry standard alright but not for being good'.

but yeah, with a set of genelecs, ns10's are a great tool to have.

btw what genelecs do you have? i've got a set of 8030's at the moment with the genelec woofer. if you don't have the woofer, it might be something to consider getting.

but yeah, with a set of genelecs, ns10's are a great tool to have.

btw what genelecs do you have? i've got a set of 8030's at the moment with the genelec woofer. if you don't have the woofer, it might be something to consider getting.[/QUOTE]

Hi Jsuited, I have the 8040's . They have a very fat warm sound. How are you doing these says? Are you out of the sin bin? Where do you work from? Declare yourself!! I was in Trackmix's studio on Sat sitting in on a mix. He is a joy to watch in action..

dav nagle wrote: »
    Hi Jsuited, I have the 8040's . They have a very fat warm sound. How are you doing these says? Are you out of the sin bin? Where do you work from? Declare yourself!! I was in Trackmix's studio on Sat sitting in on a mix. He is a joy to watch in action..

Yeah i'm out of the sinbin. the whole forum is talking about production again, so i don't see myself going back!!!
    i'm working from my home studio at the moment. doing remixes, and have a few releases coming out in early may. do a bit of mastering work for some small dance labels.
    don't worry when all the releases come out (which is looking like it'll be at the same time) in may, i'm sure i'll be pluggin the ****e out of them!!:D

the 8040's are gorgeous for mixing on. maybe it's what i'm used to but for electronic music where there is a lot of unnatural resonances and stuff going on and for that they're quality.
    doing dance music, where half the bloody stuff is going on below 200hz i really need the woofer and the room is semi-calibrated.

have you got a decent room setup with the 8040's? like you say they're pretty fat. i just finished moving all my guitars and drums out my room because they were ringing like fcuk, when i was using a certain synth.
    you probably don't need the woofer with the 8040's though, unless your doing stuff that eventually is going to be played on ott systems with an exaggerated low end.

if you don't happen to get your hands on a set of ns10's, check out the small krk's. i heard the rockit 5's a while ago and thought they were quite like ns10's.

Yeah for a while it looked like a different forum altogether. Yeah I run a very small home studio in my attic called 'Black-horse Recordings'. I record singer/songwriters, and do allot of singing over backing tracks. It is not where I want to be but its certainly a good start. I record clients on weekend whenever I can get them. I am about to do allot of advertising soon to see if it really works, you know google ads and leaflet drops and maybe even some 'handing out flyers' nose to the grind stone stuff. Its either that or get a day job from some unhappy slob of a manager who would like nothing more than talk unnecessary bull$$it to me all day long.I would like to setup a full on studio at some time when I am ready. For now its just do what I know, do what I can.

• Advertisement

dav nagle wrote: »
    Y.I would like to setup a full on studio at some time when I am ready. For now its just do what I know, do what I can.

well you're on the right lines. nothing wrong with being broke to pursue an artistic endeavour. at least that's what i keep tellin myself!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Speaking of broke...

I reckon this would be ideal for running a pair of NS-10's off.

Funky Junk Link

studiorat wrote: »
    Speaking of broke...

I reckon this would be ideal for running a pair of NS-10's off.

Funky Junk Link

you got to be kidding???? A bit large for a monitor amp?? :eek: 4 rack spaces???

you got to be kidding???? A bit large for a monitor amp?? :eek: 4 rack spaces???

I'm not, oddly enough. More like 6 spaces too. Ya see that lad there has no fans in it. Stick it in on the floor under or behind the desk.

I don't imagine the other amps mentioned above are much smaller either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

A studio monitor poweramp that does 260w per side @ 8ohm and is 6U/26kg.
    I've used a live poweramp that does 1250w per side @ 8ohm and is 2U/12kg.

Sure it's expensive and they are worlds apart, but in this day and age there's less and less demand for beastly heavy analogue gear. In the airport Baggage Handlers won't lift anything over 20kg by themselves, so 26kg could well be considered a 2 man lift.

I agree with Savman here. New switchable power amps have reduced the weight of amps. I suppose if its being left on the ground and not moved....

Ns10's would sound great via an amp kicking out 250w @8ohms...

Crown XTI 1000 would be a nice match. There are plenty more!!

26Kg ya tell me? Jaysus!
    There was a big American recording engineer specified one of these in his tech rider recently, apparently they work particularly well with NS-10's. It actually replaced a Crown coincidentally enough. I used an A+B ? is that right? Or A/B (the manafacturer) on that same set-up and that really made a huge difference.
    I thought the Yamaha was a pretty good price though, about €450.

Quite a few places use Quad amps for their NS-10's too. Not as good as the A+B IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭DIRTY69

I have a pair of NS10s on adverts.ie. PM me if you want to negociate a price or something, if anyone is interested.

Advertisement