Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does my engine sound ok? (Sound clip)

Options
  • 06-03-2008 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've an '01 1.4 Astra and over the last week or so the engine sounds a bit rough. My bro thinks maybe the head gasket is about to go? :eek:

When I can home today I recorded this video...it's kinda hard to tell where the noise is coming from....a kinda ticking noise. I think it's around the top of the engine? My research on the web shows that this can be normal for an Astra?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mU0HwY3gVaU

Now, while I waited for that to upload I recorded this second video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtqMdcdbdRU

You can just kinda make out the tapping sound at the start but the engine sounds a lot smoother for whatever reason.
    I did check the oil level yesterday and it was grand.

What do you think?
    Maybe the sound quality isn't up to scratch for you guys to hear it. I hope to get it looked at on Saturday for piece of mind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

second is warmed up yes? it would have helped not to rev the engine if we are trying to listen for a ticking sound.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

It is...about 10min after the first. I wanted to get both an idle and a revving video if it would help identifying the problem. (Rev-happy little bro was on the pedal btw!)

The first was after a 6mile drive home.

I'll try and getting a clearer video for you.

If you rev do so gently and slowly.

Mike.

Try that one Mike.....rename the file to *.mp3

You can make out what I'm hearing around the 24/25 sec mark. I normalized the volume on this one so it's louder.

Cheers again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

There can be lots of reasons. Could you just tell us what the sound is like with a bit more detail. Can't really hear it good on the video. Is there anything rattling?

• Advertisement

Can't listen to doc file :)

Mike

Plug wrote: »
    There can be lots of reasons. Could you just tell us what the sound is like with a bit more detail. Can't really hear it good on the video. Is there anything rattling?

The sound seems like it come and goes. More so when the car is cold but it's generally always there. It's "inside" the engine....or at least whatever is causing it is out of view from the engine bay. It just sounds like a rapid ticking or knocking sound. Increases with speed as I rev the motor.

mike, I can't upload mp3 as attachments. You'll need to rename the file with a .mp3 extension.

Maybe my phone is just not good enough to capture the sound I guess. Or maybe hopefully it's my imagination!

Edit:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?p=1293730

This guy describes it alot better. Same issue for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

I had the same (or if not the same, very similar) noise in my old 01 Astra... Drove it for a while, it got worse... then one night (New Years Night) in the back arse of nowhere, my timing belt disintegrated!!

If it is the timing belt, get it sorted post haste. Cost me over 2.5k to put right, needed new cylinder head, valves, head gasket. Not to mention the timing belt, pulleys, tentioner and water pump!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Change the oil, Problem solved.

LarWright wrote: »
    I had the same (or if not the same, very similar) noise in my old 01 Astra... Drove it for a while, it got worse... then one night (New Years Night) in the back arse of nowhere, my timing belt disintegrated!!

If it is the timing belt, get it sorted post haste. Cost me over 2.5k to put right, needed new cylinder head, valves, head gasket. Not to mention the timing belt, pulleys, tentioner and water pump!

Thanks for that. The belt was done 6000 km ago. (84,000km)
    You can actually see that marking in the video actually :)

Would be worth getting re-checked then.
    I'm changing the oil come Saturday and I'll see if I see an improvement. Also, I'll see if my local mechanic will throw an eye/ear on it.

Will be just my luck tomorrow when the arse falls out of her on the way to work :rolleyes:

Cheers lads.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

LOL...this thread is great,using a message board to get advice on an engine.Good idea OP.

Sorry I have nothing to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

As suggested, begin by changing the oil. If that doesn't cure it then I'd be inclined to suspect the valve lifters or maybe low oil pressure. The first clip does have the sound I'd associate with little or no oil in the engine so hopefully an oil change will cure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wahey70

sounds like your water pump is knackered, very common problem on that model astra. because you got a knew timing belt fitted there is more tension on the water pump cos its older. hope that helps :)

I'll be doing the oil this evening. If it was the head gasket would it be alot more noisy?
    wahey70 wrote: »
    sounds like your water pump is knackered, very common problem on that model astra. because you got a knew timing belt fitted there is more tension on the water pump cos its older. hope that helps :)

Cheers for that. If it turns out it is the water pump, is it a big job to DIY a replacement? I'm handy enough when it comes to the hands on side of things.

Must get a Haynes manual for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Dub13 wrote: »
    LOL...this thread is great,using a message board to get advice on an engine.Good idea OP.

Sorry I have nothing to add.

No need for the sarcasm. While here in particular might not be ideal, marque-specific forums are often the best places to ask for information on vehicles if you can't afford or don't want to (for whatever reason) consult a mechanic. And you could still get very good and relevant advice on a non-specific one too.

I've done a successful engine management unit swap on a Fiat Punto MK2 - diagnosed from a misfire via help on forums - saving about 1600 quid on what a certain Dublin 15 dealers quoted.

if you fitted the new timing belt should be no problem to ya. if not the t-belt has to come off again..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

The_Edge wrote: »
    Cheers for that. If it turns out it is the water pump, is it a big job to DIY a replacement? I'm handy enough when it comes to the hands on side of things.

Must get a Haynes manual for her.

Where did you get the timing belt done on it? From Opel the timing belt comes in a pack with the water pump so the two are done at the same time. At least when I got mine done a few months ago they were done together and came together.

if it was the head gasket it wouldnt be noisey at all, there would be a couple of different
    things going on, you might have overheating or water in the oil or oil in the water....

by the by it sounds very bad so you should get it sorted quickly, if the t-belt breaks under the pressure you might be looking for a new engine.

Advertisement