Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Marathon 2008

• 06-03-2008 7:20pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone on here doing this? or did it last year?

It'll be my second marathon, feeling rather nervous though as due to how busy I've been lately I've been doing very little training. Can still go and run 16-20 miles in one session on a sunday so physically I know I'm still perfectly capable especially if I keep myself on track during the next 3 months...however I'm a sucker for wanting to beat my times and the like, no matter how often others tell me time doesn't matter, it matters to ME(why do people find that so hard to understand?) need some hard work over the next two months before the taper(how do you taper after doing **** all? :eek:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,

What time did you do in your first marathon?

I ran Cork last year and enjoyed it - well up until mile 22. Did 3.40ish I think so determined to do better this year and enjoy more of it :-)

Running Conn in a few weeks so in theory I can tick over until Cork.

Regards,

SJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Dear MP1972,

I am on for this as well (and the Connamarathon half too). This will be my third marathon but the first that I have set a target time for. So much like you I am getting anxious about my level fitness and preparation. 16-20 miles at his stage is pretty impressive. I am using a runner's world schedule that allows you to select your target time and gives you a custom (of sorts) schedule. I am in fact using a Garmin ready one, so it downloads to the unit and tells you when to run, when to stay in bed etc.

You might have a look and see where you fit in on the schedule for your desired time etc. It could be that you are spot on or off a bit. The more advanced schedules give speed work exercises and the like so it is not all about distance. Using it has already knocked 15 minutes off my half marathon PB.

Have a look and see what you think. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm no good at following schedules. I was looking at those schedules before Dublin last year but it confuses me I don't like going out with it fixed in my head that I'm going to do 1M jog, then fast 8 x 400m with 200m jog recoveries, then 1M jog it'd probably take some of the boredem away on the days when I don't really feel like it but it makes me feel under presssure, I'd usually just go out run my 10 milerr or 6 miles(9 laps of the local park) then do some speed drills. With exams, college and work life is pretty hectic at the moment so I just run when I can, joined the gym when things started to get hectic to keep myself in shape and just go on my way to/from college/work, if I came home with the incentive to put my running gear on it wouldn't happen. With the brighter mornings now though it will hopefully get easier I'll be able to get up at about 6:30 and get in a good 6-10 miles most days and fit my long run in on sundays. the next 6 weeks are vital for me big time.

Slogger we don't talk about my first marathon time. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Seriously thinking about Cork now.
    Would love to do one in the summer months and it would give plenty of time to recover and get back on the horse for Dublin in October.

Am at 10m long runs for the last month or so and do another 3 10ks a week at least.

Looking at a final LSR of at least 22m (18m was far from sufficient last time :) ) that'd be mid May I'd say giving around 8/9 weeks to step from 10 - 20 miles.

Was wondering what kind of milage increases ye are looking at following lads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

The general rule for mileage increases is no more than 10% a week, that's both the length of your longest run and your total distance shouldn't go up by more than 10% week on week.

Don't forget that it's not just mileage increases that can cause injury or over-training; trying to run too fast too soon can be as bad. try and keep speedwork on a gentle linear increase as well.

All of that said I really reccomend having a look at a proper, structured training program rather than winging it. Have you done a marathon before?

• Advertisement

The general rule for mileage increases is no more than 10% a week, that's both the length of your longest run and your total distance shouldn't go up by more than 10% week on week.

Don't forget that it's not just mileage increases that can cause injury or over-training; trying to run too fast too soon can be as bad. try and keep speedwork on a gentle linear increase as well.

All of that said I really reccomend having a look at a proper, structured training program rather than winging it. Have you done a marathon before?

Did Dublin last year for the fun of it as something to aim for over the summer, was going grand in training till early Sept (2 weddings and a holiday within a few weeks).
    Got back and was chasing miles and ended up messing up my knee so am going to take it handier this time.
    Will try to keep it to a 1 mile a week increase until mile 19/20.

Would you suggest an easy week (shorter lsr) every 4 or is that too often?

You can probably step it up by more than a mile a week - in fact you'll probably need to to get to the right distance without burining yourself out.

Fallback weeks are really important - they help prevent overtraining and give your body a break. Every 3 - 4 weeks is perfect.

I still think that the ideal solution would be to follow a proper plan though! I thik that this one is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

In response to MP1972, absolutely whatever works for you. I am afraid I am one those people who lacks the experience (but mainly self-discipline) to create my own programme, so a structured one works for me.

Indecently, I have been having trouble with shins of late (very early shin split onset) and I have been having therapy etc. The therapy has hurt more that the injury but has greatly helped. In the meantime my wife bought me the Chi running book and having read that combined with a one-day workshop, I have managed to change my posture and stride.

Whereas my stride and footfall would change during the course of a run, from predominantly heel strike to go old foot slapping and anything in between I can now run a nice controlled mid-sole strike. Having completed a 15-mile LSR on Sunday I have none of the usual aches and pains. I am still working on it (have 8 miles tonight) but I am impressed so far.

You can probably step it up by more than a mile a week - in fact you'll probably need to to get to the right distance without burining yourself out.

Fallback weeks are really important - they help prevent overtraining and give your body a break. Every 3 - 4 weeks is perfect.

I still think that the ideal solution would be to follow a proper plan though! I thik that this one is excellent.

Thanks for that Amadeus, compact enough to print out and stick on the wall.
    Most important thing now is to start the intervals I think as I haven't done them before, have a years running under the belt now so it's as good a time as any to introduce them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Thanks for that Amadeus, compact enough to print out and stick on the wall.
    Most important thing now is to start the intervals I think as I haven't done them before, have a years running under the belt now so it's as good a time as any to introduce them.

Of the three key workouts the intervals are probably the least important for marathon specific training. For most the order of importance usually goes:
    long run > tempo > interval

You will see better returns if you can safely up your total miles and introduce a quality tempo run.

I made a jump from 3:15 to 2:55 doing this. I ran few if any interval sessions during that transition. Intervals have their place but they can be hard to get right and for some they are an injury magnet. Target some tempo running first.

• Advertisement

I'm a bit slower than that but I'd second that advice. According to the books I've read intervals are designed to boost your VO2 max (the amount of oxygen you can use when exercising). While a high VO2 max is essential over shorter distances (like a 10k) it's the least useful indicator for marathon success.

You are better off working on getting your base fitness right and building endurance speed by running shorter runs at your planned marathon pace. So for example in the last two weeks I have completed one 15 and one 12 miler close to my planned race pace.

Off teh top of my head I can't remember what the speed sessions are in the FIRST plan but hills, fartlek, strides and tempo runs are useful sessions for endurance speed training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭islandexile

Cork Loon Plans Next Adventure

Madcap Corkman Colin Carroll has not got a leg to stand on - and time is running out.

Winning a gold medal at the world elephant polo championships in Nepal was not enough.

Being Ireland's first wrestler at the world sumo championships in Japan left him thirsting for more fame.

So now the 35-year-old lawyer who has turned silliness into a sport is hunting for the perfect partner to set a Guinness World Record time for the three-legged marathon.

The current record is held by identical twins Nick and Alastair Benbow who completed the 1998 London marathon in a time of 3 hours 40 minutes and 16 seconds. They were tied together at the wrist and shared a three-legged pair of running trousers.

Carroll hopes to go one better in June when his hometown of Cork in western Ireland stages its marathon.

'I take being silly very seriously,' Carroll told Reuters.

'I am very determined. I really want this so I am now launching a global hunt for a marathon runner ready to be tied to me.'

'He was to run with his best friend who pulled a hamstring a month ago. 'It's a cruel world but I am not going to carry him on my back,' said Carroll, launching his three-legged quest on his NoPriorExperience.com Web site.

Only serious contenders need apply and the ever optimistic Carroll hopes the marathon hopefuls might even include his future wife.

'This is a stepping stone to end my quest and bring a smile to my mother's face. It would be just like walking up the aisle. I would love to find a lady to do it with. It would be like looking in the mirror running with a fellow wacko.'

All the hopalong hopefuls are to be rigorously tested.

'We hope to have trials like a reality TV show. First they will be asked why they want to be a spare leg.'

Candidates would need to have already completed a marathon and would be put through a VO2 Max Test at the University of Cork's high-performance laboratory to check their stamina.

The three-legged marathon is Carroll's big challenge for 2008. Next year he will be staging the 'Paddy Olympics' in Ireland.

He plans bathtub races, backwards running and an egg-and-spoon 100 metres. Instead of discus throwing, there will be mobile phone-throwing.

Qualifying would be 'a dedication to silliness', he said. 'I am much more dedicated to wackiness than seriousness.'

Few perusing his curriculum vitae would dispute that.

In 2005, he won gold at the world elephant polo championships. In 2006 he risked life and limb at sumo but had to sign a death waiver first because of his pint-sized frame.

He has also appeared in a boy band in Poland and joined the Irish bobsleigh team in Latvia.

His quest to be world champion at just about anything ranges from the Welsh sheepdog trials to the rickshaw world championships in India.

'The purpose of my life is to make my tombstone difficult to write,' he said.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm sooooo tempted to email him and 'apply] :pac:

Advertisement