Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big fire in city centre

• 06-03-2008 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Just when I was returning from KK at 6.20 this evening, there was a massive fire in progress down near Rice Bridge - I imagine not far from the junction of Thomas St and O'Connell St - and a big pall of smoke extending out over the river and across to Ferrybank. I looked up Thomas St as I was passing and it was just inky black - totally full of smoke.

There seemed also to be a whole bunch of fire engines rushing to the scene (as you'd imagine), but one was coming in the Dunmore Road, so I can only guess that it had been called in from Dunmore.

I just hope it was a derelict building, because it looked really bad. And seeing the smoke filling Thomas St, I must take my cap off to the firefighters. It takes b@lls to face that sort of thing. Let's hope there are no casualties.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Its the U-Decor place beside Downses.

The fire is still raging and they are trying to control it. Hopefully it wont get into Downses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

KevIRL wrote: »
    Hopefully it wont get into Downses.

:D

Just heard it mentioned on Today Fm

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

The fire is still raging and they are trying to control it. Hopefully it wont get into Downses.

:eek:

Holy sh1t! Let's hope not!

Although it might force them to clean up the place if it burned down, tee hee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Floyd Soul

Its the U-Decor place beside Downses.

God forbid, the number nine would go boom :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah sure, at least it will give a facelift to the street when they clean it up :p

And hey, Downses is nice the way it is. You dont get many places like it!

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Ah sure, at least it will give a facelift to the street when they clean it up :p

Bit harsh there Sully. People's busineses, jobs and livelihoods are gonna be affected by this. It appears as if there was injuries, so thats something at least. But I wouldnt be making jokes and wisecracks about it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

don't you mean there were no injuries... The flames can be seen form the top of the hill at Abbey Park and smoke is blowing across the Rockshire Rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

looking at the size of the fire i couldn't see Downses not been damaged by smoke if not fire? are the two not beside each other?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Bit harsh there Sully. People's busineses, jobs and livelihoods are gonna be affected by this. It appears as if there was injuries, so thats something at least. But I wouldnt be making jokes and wisecracks about it myself.

I thought the building was derelict?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Thankfully it has started raining... although the high winds may not have helped earlier

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Fire started in U Decor, at the mo, smoke damage to the Lounge part of Downes, fire has affected the back part, but it hasnt reached inside the bars (and hopefully will not) - firemen are trying to keep it out of Downes, as someone already mentioned, the whiskey still is a big worry.
    When I was down there, the flames were reaching over the buildings, huge inferno, U Decor will be reduced to a ball of ash I'd say.

Here's some pics, excuse the crapness of them, taken on a phone...

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Forgot to say, it would be a sad sad day for Waterford to lose an establishment like Downes. Will not find any other place like it in the SE, if not Ireland.

Hopefully old Johnny will sort this out from on high and make sure the fire doesn't spread to the pub.

RTE have amateur footage. It doesn't work for me though. No reports of injuries.

Ill head down there in a while and take a few shots on the awl camera and try get a report of wtf is going on.

There are places like Downses, like Powers Pub in Tramore. You dont get places like that much, and those two are on the list of "different" pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Just saw the video on the rte website. It looks like a fairly big fire alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

trishw78 wrote: »
    don't you mean there were no injuries... The flames can be seen form the top of the hill at Abbey Park and smoke is blowing across the Rockshire Rd.

Yep, typo there, I did mean no injuries

I thought the building was derelict?

You Decor? Nope not at all.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

**** thats not looking good at all,

Ill be back lads with photos. Ill see how close I can get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good luck Sully, hell I could go down (but won't).

Where is that footage from? Fire service or casual onlooker?

Mike.

Ill be back lads with photos. Ill see how close I can get.

Personally I think it'd be better to just leave hem alone. There's people down there evacuated from flats, people watching their businesses go up in smoke. Im sure the last thing they need is a load of snap happy people around trying to close for good pics. There will be plenty of pictures in the papers I'm sure.

I lived on that street up till a couple of years ago, I cant imagine what the people there are going through tonight. Not a nice night to be evacuated from yer home either...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭TheFlatulator

I used to live 2 doors down from U decor, there plenty of raw wood and saw dust in the so it will be hard to deal with, its such a pity about downes. Maybe ppl who frequented there can help out when the time comes.

mike65 pics look like they were take from the garden centre/ carpark there, the video seems to taken from penrose lane in the apartments up high there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭Mini

Just looking at the pictures that you guys have posted, it looks really terrible down there.

fair play to those brave fire fighters that are there tackling it, they are there from Kilkenny and Wexford as well.

The RTE news on Network 2 is going to show some footage from there also, just saw it on the headlines.

Whether buildings are destroyed or not it doesn't really matter as long as there are no injuries or casulaties from it. Buildings and belongings can be replaced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Downes isn't damaged (on the surface anyway). The locals popped up to the Old Ground to have a pint and sit out the fire.

Was chatting to John there and he went down around 9-9:30 and had one at the bar in Downes to make sure everything was ok, he said the wall adjoining You Decor wasn't even warm.
    Apart from the obvious intervention of the Fire Brigade, I reckon the strong wind blew the flames down hill and that's what helped save the pub.
    The building down the road from Y D was being renovated for the past few years now and wasn't inhabited.

I think that's twice YD has caught fire now.

However, judging by the cracks that appear everytime some building work happens on that street the real damage may not be known for some time.

Well done to the lads from the various fire services, and to the Old Ground for having us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 98MK1

Downes has escaped... minor smoke damage, the birth place of my teenage drinking lives on. Must head in there soon again.......
    ThomasST-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Amazing photo MK. Last time I saw the town in smoke like that was at the hills over by the train station

Personally I think it'd be better to just leave hem alone. There's people down there evacuated from flats, people watching their businesses go up in smoke. Im sure the last thing they need is a load of snap happy people around trying to close for good pics. There will be plenty of pictures in the papers I'm sure.

Iv a bit of experience with dealing with Emergency Services and know when its safe to take pictures etc. There well used to having journalists down there, and general public. I never get in the way, and the Fire Service are always polite and will kindly tell you if your pushing your luck.

Anyway, the area is swamped with Fire Service, Guards and Ambulance. There not letting anybody down for safety, and there isn't much to see from the road as its pitch black (street lights cut) and covered in emergency services. I got down just before Downses and most of the damage is to U Decor. Nothing to really take photos of as I was a bit back and it was hard to see.

I had a chat with some of the fire service who were taking a break. No idea of the source of the fire, some apartment blocks near it were evacuated. Witnesses say it was fine at 5.40. The footage on RTE is from the apartment directly across from it which I don't think were evacuated. Downses was closed on arrival, at about 6PM. If any damage, its water and smoke but very little. They wont be inspecting surrounding buildings until its fully out as at present there are many pockets of fire.

I assume portlarige will be on within the next few days to give us a decent update!

• Advertisement

its good to hear that Downes escaped....

According to breaking news this happened as well to a place called Downes and U-Decor in Kilkenny city burned as well

http://breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojkfsnsnid/

Advertisement