Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big fire in city centre

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Anyone know the fate of Downses?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

Closed for a few days for clean-up, or so the Munster reported yesterday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Imagine a CLEAN Downes, the place hasnt seen a bucket or a mop in years:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭portlairge

the brigade are probably going to be returning to the scene on and off over the coming days due to what we call hot spots appearing these appear when the wind gets up and the inside of the timbers are still hot and the wind kinda fans it up and it combusts again this could go on for a couple of days... cannot say much more on the fire only it was a major one and used all our resources to their full.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 adebisi

In happier news, Downes is expected to reopen on Thursday next week - thankfully.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

portlairge wrote: »
    the brigade are probably going to be returning to the scene on and off over the coming days due to what we call hot spots appearing these appear when the wind gets up and the inside of the timbers are still hot and the wind kinda fans it up and it combusts again this could go on for a couple of days... cannot say much more on the fire only it was a major one and used all our resources to their full.

Are you able to comment on what happened with the Coach?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Did I hear that Penrose Lane was subject to a fire also? I could of sworn I heard it.. but I cant find where nor can I find any location of the fire..

Although, they have now closed of Thomas St. It wasnt closed the other day, they just had U Decor bordered up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

longshanks wrote: »
    you missing an arm or something?
    ooh, the wit

yes i am

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

deadly, a real life one armed bandit

Sully wrote: »
    Did I hear that Penrose Lane was subject to a fire also? I could of sworn I heard it.. but I cant find where nor can I find any location of the fire..

Although, they have now closed of Thomas St. It wasnt closed the other day, they just had U Decor bordered up.

the fire in you decor was also the fire in penrose lane as the fire at the rear of the premises had to be fought by us too..it was a big place.. these views are from the aerial ladder platform that we used to fight the blaze from above and are taken from the thomas st side looking towards penrose lane.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Thanks.. but the fire in Penrose lane, I thought it happened after the fires around You Decor.. Cause after the fire was put out the road was opened and now its closed again.. Did it start again?

Also, what is the purple area? Is it just the camera or the way the fire was burning (some sort of accelerant maybe?)

Sully wrote: »
    Thanks.. but the fire in Penrose lane, I thought it happened after the fires around You Decor.. Cause after the fire was put out the road was opened and now its closed again.. Did it start again?

Also, what is the purple area? Is it just the camera or the way the fire was burning (some sort of accelerant maybe?)

as i said in a previous post the brigade will be there on and off over the next few ays as hot spots flare up this is common with big fires.. as for the road closure it is for the safety of the public as the remaining of the building is unsafe..and the purple area is just a flame as different things give off a different flame and again it depend on the temp the fire is at too and the gass's the substance give off to be burnt in short its a chemical reaction.... i wont go into the science of combustion but see this link for some interesting info not enough space here to explain the theory of compustion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire#Chemical_reaction

and penrose lane was our rear enterance into you decor.. so thats why you will see the appliances there from time to time too.. if you look closely at the second picture you will see some firefighters on the roof of the building on penrose lane attacking the fire..

Thanks for that, tis very interesting. Any idea yet what caused it?

Also, I know the one up the road has no connection but whats the story with the bus on the Quay? Why did that go up on fire?

Once again, thanks for spending the time to explain it :)

Advertisement