Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Haddock- Interesting Recipes???

• 06-03-2008 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

I absolutely love haddock but I can't find any interesting recipes, has anyone got any suggestions. If you could, try keep anything spicy to a minimum, I suffer from crohns disease and the stomach ain't able for it!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

This was a recipe that Ray D'Arcy used on The Restaurant on RTE. The judges all loved it. I tried it myself and it is worth giving it a shot. Try and get some lightly smoked fish.

SMOKED HADDOCK WITH POACHED EGG
    Serves 4

Ingredients
    4 x 200 g haddock fillets (naturally smoked)
    1 tblsp vegetable oil
    75 g Rudd’s black pudding
    4 organic eggs
    For the champ
    700 g potatoes
    40 g butter
    8 scallions, trimmed and sliced
    Salt and black pepper

Method
    First peel the potatoes and place in some cold salted water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15-20 minutes until they are tender, then mash thoroughly. Put the butter in a hot frying pan and stir in the scallions. Cook gently for 3-4 minutes until they are soft and slightly brown. Stir into the mashed potatoes, season well and keep warm.

In hot frying pan, place the haddock flesh side down with a little oil and cook over a medium heat for 6-7 minutes. When ready the meat will be cooked through and the skin can be peeled off easily.

In another frying pan, fry the black pudding slices until they are crispy, then use a fork to crumble them into small pieces.

To make the poached eggs, line 4 cups with Clingfilm and place one egg into each cup. Season with a little salt, and twist the Clingfilm tightly so that you have an egg ‘bag’. Place the eggs in a pot of simmering water and gently poach for 3 minutes, so that the yolks are soft.
    Place some champ on the serving dish, and put a slice of haddock on top. Remove the Clingfilm from the eggs and place on the haddock and sprinkle the dish with some crumbled black pudding.

Linkeh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I've only ever put it into fish pie (smoked haddock) but as it's such a wonderful fish I probably wouldn't mess about with it, cooking it in milk and using the milk to make a white sauce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

A nice one is -
    Goujons with minted pea puree:

2 eggs
    200ml milk
    Seasoned flower
    Breadcrumbs
    Sesame seeds

250g frozen peas
    2 cloves of garlic
    1/2 med onion
    50ml cream
    Freshly chopped mint
    Seasoning

Cut fish into strips - prep three bowls:
    1. Seasoned flour, 2. egg & milk mixed together, 3. breadcrumbs with sesame seeds

Pop the fish in each bowl in order. Heat up a wok (or deep fat fryer) with vegetable oil. And deep fry the fish until golden. You can pop it into the oven to finish off if your goujons are kinda big.

Pea puree: Fry off onion & garlic until browned. Add in peas and cream and cook until soft. Blitz with a hand mixer until chunky and add seasoning & fresh mint.

Use any white fish really - John Dory, haddock etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

I remember seeing the Restaurant with ray darcy and that dish looked absolutely gorgeous! I completely forgot about it though!!!

Love Chicken goujons so That would be worth giving a go I'm sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I like smoked haddock in kedgeree for a relaxed brunch on a Sunday morning. Made with just a pinch of tumeric and about 10 cardamon pods (crushed, the seeds ground in a heavy pestle & mortar). Soft hard boiled eggs - a little of the yolk still runny. Plenty of chopped parsley and a dollop of butter to enrich the rice and fish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement