Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Baldy Makes A Return

Options
  • 06-03-2008 8:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

From the posters on the door outside it looks like the Baldy is reopening next weekend, both upstairs and downstairs going to be open.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aye its no longer "Redz" its now back to the "Baldy Man" and rightly so. Stupdity changing it.

Upstairs wont be open all the time, just some of the time for bands.

At least, thats what everyones telling me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Yea, there will be a band every two weeks and upstairs will be open for each band. There will be a charge upstairs (€5) and I'm almost positive downstairs will be free in.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Have they changed anything else, besides the name?

Btw, I thought upstairs was for weddings?

They have a few new lights for the cocktail bar, but thats it AFAIK. Upstairs is a function room, so weddings, retirements, christnings anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 waterfordguy07

hey there minto
    who is djing in the baldy man now
    u ever going to get back the lads from beat i think there names were minni and paulie they were unreal thats the only reason me and my friends went u should look into getting them back at least u would have people that will come back to se them play

• Advertisement

I think Rob is djing next weekend, not sure of the lineup. I think a lad from Oxygen will be regularly djing too. I'm sure if enough people come back, we could get those lads from beat back. There is no point paying big money for big dj's if there is only gonna be 4 or 5 people in the Baldy, ya get me?

Your only gonna get 4 or 5 people if its gonna be ****e though. If you had good acts there, then people will go. So you get the DJs back and people will return.

Sully, I would assume next week is a test the water kind of deal. They have a great band booked on Sat night and the DJ (who I'm not 100% who it is yet) will prob be a big one. If it's a success it'll be easier for the staff to convince the management to getting bigger, better DJs and bands every week. But management isn't going to book big bands and DJs if people don't come. Hope to see ya there Sully!

Minto wrote: »
    Sully, I would assume next week is a test the water kind of deal. They have a great band booked on Sat night and the DJ (who I'm not 100% who it is yet) will prob be a big one. If it's a success it'll be easier for the staff to convince the management to getting bigger, better DJs and bands every week. But management isn't going to book big bands and DJs if people don't come. Hope to see ya there Sully!

The u2 tribute band, Zoo 2? Never heard of them myself, but that's a particular type of taste your aiming at. Hope it works out, The Baldy was always the place to go out clubbing in Tramore after the HiB days. Management don't seem to be that great when it comes for marketing in my opinion. Every promotion for the Baldy was awful, changing to Redz with ****e DJs and closing upstairs - though, that's a lesson ye quickly learned from. Then the Off Licence.. no delivery, no website, no phone orders, no idea wtf they have on offer etc. The Hotels website is pretty plan and boring, nothing special. Pubs always do well.. I like the ones the Sands have.

Anyway, next Saturday is the Boards Beers so ill pass :p

I'm sensing some bitterness in your post towards the Sands, Sully :p

• Advertisement

Aye well im just saying thats why I think both Redz and The Pier Off Licence failed. Plus, I do believe its quiet in the hotel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

i have to agree with u sully there is definetly something wrong when we have one of the most modern top of the range nightclub and it cant do any business and people prefer going to a place that was thrown together

paul666 wrote: »
    we have one of the most modern top of the range nightclub

Sorry, would you mind telling me where this top of the range nightclub is located? Cos Redz sure as hell isn't modern or top of the range. Sure, it looks nice, the sound system is decent, the lighting is decent too, but nothing in there is top of the range, cept for maybe the service, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,249 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I think it's poorly designed, I was only ever in there once or twice, but both times it was fairly busy and hard to move around as the door (I think it may have moved now) was almost on top of the bar, as soon as you got in it was too hard to move around

It is by some distance however the nicest night club in Tramore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

tis better than the other place. its cleaner it has been recently done up and i can tell that the stuff that he put in there is an ok quality. id be talking about the general material. like the bar and the fixtures. of course its modern it was only done up recently

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ogankav

yes its back! upstairs is open zoo2 are playin ,and if u dont know who they are you must not be from these parts,there the best trib to u2 in europe they play all over the world with this show and only for they decided to stay local theyd b in new york as theyve done 4 the last 6 years!

Zoo2 have earned the reputation as being the best U2 tribute band around at the moment. Zoo2 have been following in the big boys’ footsteps now since 1993, and have rocked the United States, the UK and Europe with their electrically charged live performances.
    Their two-hour show covers U2 material right through from the 80s to the present day. Playing most venues to packed capacities, the band are a powerhouse of skill and leave the crowds wanting for more.
    With a state of the art sound rig and spectacular lighting effects, Zoo 2 guarantee a wild and entertaining evening for all.

downstairs will be open with the usual club thing happing
    band on at 12 5euro in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Mark81

Have to say, I’m not from Tramore my girlfriend is, have being out there a lot, Good to see the Baldy Man is back to way it was, I have being in Redz Twice, I have to say it is a bit small, and very cluttered, and a very small dance floor, it was designed badly. But as the saying goes if it’s not broken don’t fix it.

BUT, compared to the kip called Charlie Strings, it’s a palace, cant understand why people pack the place, its very tacky and as someone else said it looks like it was slapped together in a week.

The band they have booked for the weekend Zoo2 are excellent well worth checking out have seeing them playing a few times. Back to the club, I see a comment bring back mini and Paul, I have worked in Radio for the last 12 years in Radio in Wexford, and no matter what club your in unless its a Big Name Dj, will not make any difference, now don’t get me wrong, I have heard of the Dj that they have booked and he is excellent, I think I remember these 2 chaps mini and Paul jumping up and down in the Dj box when they had upstairs open, I had to laugh, Mixing was terrible, same music every weekend, even the lads in Oxygen would blow these 2 gimps out of the water, sorry to be harsh but that’s my opinion.

Back to the topic, I cant see much changing, Its like Wexford or Waterford, People are Like sheep , In Wexford it’s the Stores, Waterford is Rubys, and Tramore its Strings, its hard to break people from a habit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Paul Sands

Hi all

A few points to sort out.

1/ The hotel is not for sale!
    2/ Trade is good, this is a seasonal resort and in line with expectations - would always like it to be busier though!
    3/ We did originally close Redz to a burst pipe, however we looked at the time of year and local support vs cost e.tc. dj's, bands, security, blah, blah.
    4/ We have spent a lot of money and effort in refurbishing upstairs, which remains marketed at the function market, however due to demand and usability it was thought prudent that we could use the space for "special" occasions for big bands - we have some minor changes to make the venue look different for these events.
    5/ Redz is dead!
    6/ The Baldyman is returning but will be downstairs and yes, does look great, good service etc.
    7/ After trial and error, Steve Duggan is a radio Dj in Limerick who is our Dj for Sat 15th March, Sunday our resident DJ Rob.
    8/ We are charging €5 in on Sat 15th & Sat 22nd from 11pm as there are live bands.
    9/ The Baldyman is free in on Sunday
    10. The Baldyman is open from every Saturday hereafter. A decision will be made on Friday's soon. - Keep you posted.
    11/ Let me know if you have any thoughts, please post can do a lot can not always promise an evolution!

Paul Sands wrote: »
    Hi all

A few points to sort out.

1/ The hotel is not for sale!
    2/ Trade is good, this is a seasonal resort and in line with expectations - would always like it to be busier though!
    3/ We did originally close Redz to a burst pipe, however we looked at the time of year and local support vs cost e.tc. dj's, bands, security, blah, blah.
    4/ We have spent a lot of money and effort in refurbishing upstairs, which remains marketed at the function market, however due to demand and usability it was thought prudent that we could use the space for "special" occasions for big bands - we have some minor changes to make the venue look different for these events.
    5/ Redz is dead!
    6/ The Baldyman is returning but will be downstairs and yes, does look great, good service etc.
    7/ After trial and error, Steve Duggan is a radio Dj in Limerick who is our Dj for Sat 15th March, Sunday our resident DJ Rob.
    8/ We are charging €5 in on Sat 15th & Sat 22nd from 11pm as there are live bands.
    9/ The Baldyman is free in on Sunday
    10. The Baldyman is open from every Saturday hereafter. A decision will be made on Friday's soon. - Keep you posted.
    11/ Let me know if you have any thoughts, please post can do a lot can not always promise an evolution!

If you want to advertise, go somewhere else. Not on Boards please. I don't mind you coming to clear up any confusion or rumours, but I would prefer you didn't come just to plug your businesses. Thats an advanced warning, ill let the above slide as its harmful enough.

As I said in an earlier topic, all events - please put them up on local notice boards, local websites, or contact sales@boards.ie for advertising space on this site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Paul Sands

Hi, just intend to dismay rumours not intending to plug the venue.

Thanks for letting this message through.

Paul

• Advertisement

Thats grand, I just gathered you had planned on doing so or were considering putting up an advertisement (I spotted you were gawking with your attachments).

Addressing rumours (which, I still cant see who said the hotel was up for sale?) is fine. Anything you spot as false, let me know and ill have it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ogankav

i heard it was up 4 sale today thanx 4 the info nice to see the place back

Nah, I cant see that complex ever going up for sale. Now that Freddie has a family, im sure he will leave it to them when they are old enough.

Seriously getting out of control. Id appreciate if any Sands Employee or connectiong wants to represent the Sands Hotel in a "save the business" campaign they contact me or the admins before posting.

Ill close the topic and remove the new comment. Paul already addressed the issues, so lets leave it at that.

Topic Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement