Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy two get one free

Options
  • 06-03-2008 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Earlier today I was in a well known retailer and was about to purchase some xbox games! I was pleased to find they are offering a buy two, get one free offer. I looked at the signs to see if there was any terms and conditions and there was nothing to indicate any restrictions.

So I picked out my 3 games and headed up to pay, only to be told that none of the games I had were included in the offer. Apparently, those games included in the offer have a sticker to indicate same.

I looked around the shop again at all their signs and advertising but nowhere did it state that the offer was in any way limited or subject to terms and conditions!

What do people think? Is this allowed? Surely their advertising is misleading?

Interestingly, I mentioned this to a friend afterwards and he said that he had EXACTLY the same experience! He too had gone into the same chain, picked out his 3 games etc...etc...

Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Well known ploy to get rid of old stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

yeah, figured as much afterwards. I guess they are hoping that if you have (mentally) committed to buying something, then you wont leave without buying something!

Surely there are consumer standards or laws that forbid their attempt to mislead the public tho? I felt very deliberately mislead!

Jab

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Were some games stickered and others not-stickered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

jabaroon wrote: »
    What do people think? Is this allowed? Surely their advertising is misleading?
    My guess is that legally it's exactly the same as having a mis-priced item on the floor i.e. if a shop puts a €1.99 sticker on an item that actually costs €199 they are under no obligation to give it to you for €1.99.
    Is it misleading? Yes. Allowed? Probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

As far as I can remember there is small print saying 'applies to stickered product only.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

The stickers aren't exactly difficult to miss. They're about an inch in diameter, yellow and say 3 for 2. They also say "applies to stickered products only". How could you have missed them while browsing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

where was the sign? where were the games? If they were both in the same place, and no games at all were stickered then you have some complaint? But if the sign was in a place where there was a bunch of games with stickers, then you can't really expect to pick up games without stickers in the offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

I assume you are talking about Xtra-Vision and to be honest it is fairly clear. All traded are in the one section alright,but there are ads beside half the games that have the offer on them and there are hanging cards on the ceiling over the traded games. Those in the offer have a fairly large sticker saying buy two get one free and also say stickered product only,the rest do not and while are in the traded section do not have the sticker. It's a bit stupid putting all games in the same section but clearly PS2,Xbox1 and PSP games have the stickers and Wii,DS,Xbox360 and Ps3 do not. it says stickered product only,so its quite clear when I look at it anyway.

Advertisement