Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seasick steve, what do ye reckon....

Options
  • 06-03-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

just bought the album today after seeing him on a tv show, im liking the bluesey vibe, and the 3 string guitar is brilliant,some sound from just 3 strings!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Saw him on The Cafe recently - quite interesting & sounded really good - may invest in the album. The 3 string is quite cool too!

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Yeahhh!!! :D SeaSick Steve Rules!!! Jools Holland FTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I think he is great ... story tellin' raw blues. Great rhytyms, slides etc. Missed his show in Tripod, was away. Would have loved to gone

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

just bought the album today after seeing him on a tv show, im liking the bluesey vibe, and the 3 string guitar is brilliant,some sound from just 3 strings!:D

Yeah he's amazing, i've seen him live twice now, the gig in tripod being the last. He was amazing, such a great showman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

And he actually was a real Hobo!!! :) Isn't that great!?! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Aha,yes, it was the cafe that i saw him on too, its rare that one song would make me want to buy an album, but he sure did!!Its great to hear something so raw and bluesy.The fact that he was a hobo just makes it better!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

I'm not sure about him. His stuff is kinda modernized delta blues, would ye agree? I mean it's good, but considering the guy apparently used to open for Son House (google if you don't know him) in the 60s, I find it strange that his sound is similar enough but with more effects and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong, I like the album, I just don't think he's *as* good as the artists from back then, and while that could be said for many artists in many genres, it's tricky to compare Seasick Steve with modern day artists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Hmm..interesting angle, i didnt know he opened for son house back in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

First saw him on the BBC at Glastonbury and couldn't get his "3 string trance music" outta my head!! bought his album and saw him at dublin fringe festival last yr and more recently at tripod... 1st gig was amazing cause it was a real intimate show (he started by playing a song while walkin thru the audience to get to the stage!) and he was shakin ppls hand and signing stuff at the end of the show.. 2nd was just as good but different as well, he seemed to really appreciate the sell-out crowd and he's got a great gift for story tellin... a lot of the blues community really don't like him though but i think its just pure jealousy!!

Advertisement