Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDF vehicles

• 06-03-2008 10:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭

i've asked a couple of times but never got a reply and i cant seem to register with Imo,so here it goes lol

are the cav getting mowags with 105mm guns
    will these be the replacement for the amls

also they was a tend for light armoured tactical vehicle was a sutable vehicle found?

also i heard the scorpions were getting a re-fit would this mean the would see over-seas service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

are the cav getting mowags with 105mm guns, will these be the replacement for the amls

That's the rumour, and a 105mm Mowag would be used in the AML 90 role. But it's still just a rumour.
    also they was a tend for light armoured tactical vehicle was a sutable vehicle found?

There was a competition a while back, but it was stopped as they felt that nothing on the market met the needs. The word is that they're looking at this again.
    also i heard the scorpions were getting a re-fit would this mean the would see over-seas service

There is meant to be a re-fit soon, but I doubt they'd send them overseas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

cushtac wrote: »
    There is meant to be a re-fit soon, but I doubt they'd send them overseas.

is there a reason why they wouldn't send them over-seas

is there a reason why they wouldn't send them over-seas

There's not enough of them. There's only 16 of them compared to about 35 AMLs.

how many would be required for overseas

There needs to be spare vehicles available for replacements and for training at home. Given the small number of Scorpions in service, the number that could be deployed might be too small to be of use & therefore not worth sending.

• Advertisement

thanks i see not many people on this board dont like talkin about DF vehicles/equipment

does anybody know if df got anything new recently and any pics if they did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭cp251

Are you a spy for the Russians or something, you ask too many questions?;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Ready for Chad,
    wsjwn8.jpg Scania 6x6 Troop Carrier

Ready for Chad,
    5js9s3.jpg Scania 8x8 LHD Drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

IMO you should remove the Licence Plates from the Pics. They could be seen as Sensitive.

• Advertisement

in the second pic whats the tanker carrying is it fuel?

and nice pics anymore?
    and im nt with the russians;)

The Chinese then? Al Qaeda? C'mon cough up.

Those pics of the Scanias make me pine for the old Bedfords. OK, I'm joking. I remember sitting on the bus ready to return to Dublin after annual camp once. Onto the bus comes an NCO looking for 'volunteers' to travel back on the trucks. Noticeably all the old sweats ducked down behind the seats. Fortunately there were recruits enough who eagerly fought each other to get on the trucks. Poor saps, the would have arrived choked by fumes, teeth lose from the vibration and then of course they would have had to unload the bloody things.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

IMO you should remove the Licence Plates from the Pics. They could be seen as Sensitive.

I don't think their feelings will be hurt :D

Why should the registration plates be blotted out, they are Irish and we should be proud of them, and take a closer look and see whats on the windscreens

and nice pics anymore?

Some of the drops will have water tanks and there will be smaller tankers for the Nissans.

cp251 wrote: »

Those pics of the Scanias make me pine for the old Bedfords. OK, I'm joking. I remember sitting on the bus ready to return to Dublin after annual camp once. Onto the bus comes an NCO looking for 'volunteers' to travel back on the trucks. Noticeably all the old sweats ducked down behind the seats. Fortunately there were recruits enough who eagerly fought each other to get on the trucks. Poor saps, the would have arrived choked by fumes, teeth lose from the vibration and then of course they would have had to unload the bloody things.:D

i would put my identity at stack if i was to say:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,443 ✭✭✭Riddle101

cp251 wrote: »

I found myself travelling at the back of those trucks on my annual camp, not a pleasent ride but somehow i still managed to get some sleep

Riddle101 wrote: »
    I found myself travelling at the back of those trucks on my annual camp, not a pleasent ride but somehow i still managed to get some sleep

That was probably the carbon monoxide been sucked in from the exhaust.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Oilrig

PanhardPL wrote: »
    Ready for Chad,

Note suitable camo... :o

Oilrig wrote: »
    Note suitable camo... :o

would they need it as there on a peace keeping/enforcing no at is they are on the attack

• Advertisement

First Rule: Show them you're serious...

Oilrig wrote: »
    First Rule: Show them you're serious...

i dont think we have the "machinery" for that type approuch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

scania dealer in strokestown, co roscommon has a new one in its yard ready for collection same as first pic, they had an ordannance vehicle there a few months back also

wont the vehicles going to chad be sprayed white with the un on the side

wont the vehicles going to chad be sprayed white with the un on the side

It's not a UN mission, it's an EU one.

ah i see my mistake:rolleyes:

what would be the spec on an ordanence vehicle

Could be something for transporting EOD kit, but I could be wrong. I thought they were using Duros for that.

Have a look at this book: http://www.amazon.com/Irish-army-vehicles-Transport-armour/dp/0954341309

It's a good book on DF vehicles.

cushtac wrote: »
    Could be something for transporting EOD kit, but I could be wrong. I thought they were using Duros for that.

Have a look at this book: http://www.amazon.com/Irish-army-vehicles-Transport-armour/dp/0954341309

It's a good book on DF vehicles.

yeah your ight they do use duros in eod dont no what the story is with the scanias

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Irish_duro_6x6.jpg

it said eod on the side and it was a scania dealer?:confused:

• Advertisement

shakin wrote: »
    it said eod on the side and it was a scania dealer?:confused:

did it lokk like the vehicle in the pic or was it a scania

jr2po7.jpg Scania EOD.

i dont think we have the "machinery" for that type approuch

but they don't know that...

thats prob it so lol:D

any more pics you have put up some good ones so far

spot on with the last pic, although the front wasny given that paint job, nice looking job, any idea what they cost?

24xnd5u.jpg Scania EOD side view

• Advertisement

any more pics of any DF vehicle panhardPL

edit: any 1 got any pics of the inside of a mowag esp the drivers postion just curious to see what its like

Here's an Acmat Artillary truck. As I'm not Arty I'm not entirely sure what role this vehicle serves.

Mairt wrote: »
    Here's an Acmat Artillary truck. As I'm not Arty I'm not entirely sure what role this vehicle serves.

That Acmat is a Mobile Workshop unit. Do you have a registration number for it, as I may have a photo of it in UN white.

PH, I had a look. Seem's I pixelled over the original. But I do know it was 98D... its also a right hand drive and if memory serves me correct I think most of the Acmats were left hand drive.

This one is still in service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

and nice pics anymore?

Their for Water;)

• Advertisement

the timoney apc how long are or were they in service and what was they point of buying them any info on them would be greatful

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

Timoney also developed a new APC in partnership with Singapore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terrex

wonder why ireland hasnt bought any to support irish industry. maybe they aint good enough?

daithicarr wrote: »
    wonder why ireland hasnt bought any to support irish industry. maybe they aint good enough?

Timoney reportedly offered one of their designs for the last APC competition, but it failed to meet the requirements. There was talk of some low-scale production of the Mowags at the Timoney plant back when the PIII was chosen, but that never came to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭daithicarr

Pity , it would be good to see the goverment trying to invest in Irish industry to help support it. even though the APC didnt meet the cut, they could as you said assemble the Mowag in Ireland if the facilitys are here, try and provide some locla work. but then the goverment spending practices are a completely different topic for a different forum :)

daithicarr wrote: »
    Pity , it would be good to see the goverment trying to invest in Irish industry to help support it. even though the APC didnt meet the cut, they could as you said assemble the Mowag in Ireland if the facilitys are here, try and provide some locla work. but then the goverment spending practices are a completely different topic for a different forum :)

I'm not sure of the reasons they didn't decide to assemble in Timoney, but it's a small enough place and it's possible Timoney wouldn't have been able to produce enough vehicles within the time frame.

so what was the response of the timoney apc that were in service or still are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭return guide

so what was the response of the timoney apc that were in service or still are

Is this a question?

yeah but my question mark button is broke on my keyboard lol

do you think we could with a fire support vehicle(fsv) within our forces

this months "an cosantoir" meantions about the need for 1 and a lmv

PanhardPL wrote: »
    That Acmat is a Mobile Workshop unit. Do you have a registration number for it, as I may have a photo of it in UN white.

I can't believe the DF are still buying/using this rubbish

The ACMAT has to be the definitive piss take in terms of a military vehicle.

Mobile workshops... under powered (Perkins 120bhp) dodgy brakes - once you've pressed the pedal thats it, releasing your pressure results in no brakes, you've got to press them again etc, no modulation as per your civvy car.

Cable operated brakes? link from pedals to hydraulic actuating cylinders is by cable?

The ACMAT in my time was despised by everyone.

Strange that the ACMAT agency was held by an ex PDF Officer...

They were allegedly modelled on the M35, but failed miserably IMHO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement