Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PDF vehicles

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Oilrig wrote: »

They were allegedly modelled on the M35, but failed miserably IMHO.

The M35 was a terrible truck too, as anyone who was in the earlier UNIFIL trips will tell you. Like the Acmat you had one go at the brakes on the M35 and that was it.

Btw, that Acmat in the photo here isn't in service so far as I know.

Not a great photo..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Oilrig wrote: »
    I can't believe the DF are still buying/using this rubbish

The ACMAT has to be the definitive piss take in terms of a military vehicle.

Mobile workshops... under powered (Perkins 120bhp) dodgy brakes - once you've pressed the pedal thats it, releasing your pressure results in no brakes, you've got to press them again etc, no modulation as per your civvy car.

Cable operated brakes? link from pedals to hydraulic actuating cylinders is by cable?

The ACMAT in my time was despised by everyone.

Strange that the ACMAT agency was held by an ex PDF Officer...

They were allegedly modelled on the M35, but failed miserably IMHO.

Well the Defence Forces have sent two Acmats to Chad alongside the latest Scanias, one being a Mobile Workshop and a Recovery Truck, so lets wait and see how they perform in the type of climate they were designed for.It might be worth checking and you will see where the SAS have bought some Acmats, so they can't be as bad as what you make them out to be. Even our own Rangers have used them overseas in the past and were liked by all and who knows, they may in time get some Acmats to replace the Fords. Finally could it have been the fact that the agency for Acmats in Ireland was held by an ex PDF Officer, the reason why they were not liked by certain sections of the DF??

Has the Acmat ever been used by the IDF?.

I remember the last time I was on the Israeli border seeing vehicles which looked very similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭PanhardPL

Mairt wrote: »
    Has the Acmat ever been used by the IDF?.

I remember the last time I was on the Israeli border seeing vehicles which looked very similar.

Take a look at the following site and it will give you some information on Acmats, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ACMAT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭ChapOfDRyans

can anybody shed any light on this months an cosantoir were they refer to a fire support vehicle.

Is this a mowag with a 105mm or atgms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

There's been no talk of ATGWs for the Mowags, so it's probably referring to a 105mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

Mairt wrote: »
    PH, I had a look. Seem's I pixelled over the original. But I do know it was 98D... its also a right hand drive and if memory serves me correct I think most of the Acmats were left hand drive.
    This one is still in service.
    I think you'll find that the reg plate was 89D rather than 98D, and this was the last time they were bought by the DF.

These vehicles were bought for the S&T (for those who still remember them) and consisted of RHD Recovery Cranes, which were later adapted with Holmes recovery attachments, and Mobile workshops which were fitted out with a very comprehensive set of equipment including a generator which was capable of putting out up to 3 phase! The was also a tent that attached to the side and the frame was blown up by the commpressor

One workshop was later given to signals as a mobile comcen, but they had to remove the generator as it was so loud the radios could not be heard over it, so it was later bounced around and from the original photo I would say this is the one pictured as it ended up with 2FAR in McKee .
    QOUTE:can't believe the DF are still buying/using this rubbish
    The ACMAT has to be the definitive piss take in terms of a military vehicle.:QOUTE

Well the lads who used the Acmats in Somalia swore by them, and these were lads who were dreading going driving them in the desert!

The desert however seems to be the place for them and that is why the French Foreign Legion are still using them, I'll bet the lads are seeing them in Chad

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

cushtac wrote: »
    Timoney reportedly offered one of their designs for the last APC competition, but it failed to meet the requirements. There was talk of some low-scale production of the Mowags at the Timoney plant back when the PIII was chosen, but that never came to pass.

Not surprised. The costs of tooling up for the sake of forty vehicles just would make the per-unit cost of the vehicles far more than the Irish taxpayer would need to pay.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Not surprised. The costs of tooling up for the sake of forty vehicles just would make the per-unit cost of the vehicles far more than the Irish taxpayer would need to pay.

NTM

Anyone who's interested in the idea of tooling up a small production line for an item already in mass production should think again. I suggest reading Lewis Page, "Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs" - which covers generally finanical and strategic blundering in british defence, with particular reference to producing the Apache in the UK at a staggering cost - in order to safeguard jobs.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

neilled wrote: »
    I suggest reading Lewis Hamiltons, "Lions, Donkeys and Dinosaurs" - which covers generally finanical and strategic blundering in british defence, with particular reference to producing the Apache in the UK at a staggering cost - in order to safeguard jobs.

Good God.. In between challenging for the Formula 1 world championship, he's also doing books on the military procurement system? He's good.

NTM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Good God.. In between challenging for the Formula 1 world championship, he's also doing books on the military procurement system? He's good.

NTM

My bad, that should have been lewis page!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lions-Donkeys-Dinosaurs-Lewis-Page/dp/0434013897

Advertisement