Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

which is the better 4wd

Options
  • 06-03-2008 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭

cant make up my mind whether to buy a landrover discovery 3 series or a toyota landcruiser , both are 2005 and both are similary priced

to be honest , i perfer the look of the discovery and its a more comfortable ride but those i ask keep telling me that the discovery is bound to give trouble eventually as landrover constantly scores low in reliabilty charts
    the toyota while dull is allegedly flawless

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

ive been driving landcruisers for the last five years 03and 06both from new and never an ounce of trouble
    cant give an opinion on the discovery because ive never drove one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you want it to keep going - go Toyota!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭gordon_gekko

hiscan wrote: »
    ive been driving landcruisers for the last five years 03and 06both from new and never an ounce of trouble
    cant give an opinion on the discovery because ive never drove one

were they lwb or swb and is it true that the long wheel base is way more comfortable of a ride
    personally i think the lwb is ugly in appearance

were they lwb or swb and is it true that the long wheel base is way more comfortable of a ride
    personally i think the lwb is ugly in appearance

lwb i need it as i carry alot of tools its definitely more comfortable having drove the swb as well swb is very bouncy on the back roads down here in the west :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I'd imagine that as a family car the disco would be more comfy, but as a workhorse the landcruiser is hard to beat.

• Advertisement

JHMEG wrote: »
    I'd imagine that as a family car the disco would be more comfy, but as a workhorse the landcruiser is hard to beat.

its a comercial im looking for , should have mentioned that

its a comercial im looking for , should have mentioned that
    If I was paying for one out of my own pocket for my own business I would not even be entertaining thoughts of anything other that a Landcruiser or an Isuzu Trooper etc. Not them namby pamby yokes for yummy mummies.

If I was paying for one out of my own pocket for my own business I would not even be entertaining thoughts of anything other that a Landcruiser or an Isuzu Trooper etc. Not them namby pamby yokes for yummy mummies.

thought the trooper was a **** heap since about 8 yrs ago

stay away from the trooper had a 00 everything that could go wrong with it went wrong very unreliable

pre 98's were ok as far as i know the ones with the 3.1 engine

My Trooper experience is not recent, so they might well be. But my point was a 4x4 that's not a fashion statement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

Subaru Forester?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Landcruiser all the way, never have to spend a penny on them.
    Trooper??? OMG worst 4WD, of course thier great when they work but break easily and no part is cheap on an Isuzu. Cost you a fortun$$$$$$

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

if you NEED a 4WD and you're thinking of a landcruiser then a disco shouldn't even come into the equation. If you live in D4 and want to take your kid to pony riding practice then disco it is. ;)

I was in Oz about 10 years ago and if you wanted a serious 4WD the landcruiser was the no.1 choice. My brother was a salesman in a toyota dealership there and got me a job valeting the cars and he would reguarly borrow one for the weekend and they were pretty much impossible to stop.

more recently though I've bought a 96 2.8 TDi Pajero and I've really fallen in love with it. I can't vouch for the newer models, but mine is built like a tank and just keeps on trucking, so I'd have to add 'paj' to the equation. :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    I've bought a 96 2.8 TDi Pajero and I've really fallen in love with it. I can't vouch for the newer models, but mine is built like a tank and just keeps on trucking, so I'd have to add 'paj' to the equation. :D
    Which reminds me, a neighbour has a Shogun.. he swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,661 ✭✭✭maidhc

Which reminds me, a neighbour has a Shogun.. he swears by it.

el Pajero? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Landcruiser FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BnA

IMO, the Disco 3 is a beautiful looking Machine. And I wouldn't really be a fan of 4X4's in general.

However, all most other posters have said, if you want a practical, reliable 4X4 commercial, the answer is landcruiser, landcruiser, and landcruiser again. Most farmers down here in the sticks wouldn't touch anything else with a yard stick(or a cattle prod)

That Disco 3 is darned pretty though......

maidhc wrote: »
    el Pajero? :D
    No, it's called a Shogun:
    http://www.whatcar.co.uk/car-review/mitsubishi-shogun-sport-4x4/238/

His has full leather etc.

What Car only give it 1 star! Must tell him next time I see him!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

did you consider the nissan patrol , there a big oul bus but not only are they pretty reliable ( the army use em quite a bit ) ,theyve better presence on the road than the cruiser i think and there very good value 2nd hand
    heres one i saw earlier ,http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Nissan/Patrol/3.0-TD/915588

• Advertisement

ballooba wrote: »
    and in SPanish speaking countries it's called the Montero since Mitsubishi found out that Pajero is slang in some parts of spain for w*nker. :D

the wikipedia page on it has a little bit of info about that. no idea why they called it the Shogun in the UK, I guess it was another marathon/snickers thing. :)

and in SPanish speaking countries it's called the Montero since Mitsubishi found out that Pajero is slang in some parts of spain for w*nker. :D

the wikipedia page on it has a little bit of info about that. no idea why they called it the Shogun in the UK, I guess it was another marathon/snickers thing. :)

you cant bate a bit of useless info now and again

very amusing none the less

you never know, someone might be intending to buy one and then emigrate to spain. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i've driven the lot.....currently in a LC Amazon. We have another LC with 380k on clock......think we'll have to torch it to stop it working...incredible and gets dogs abuse. Toyota Landcruisers just do not stop. Just service them at the right intervals and they'll give you loyal service.

If its image your after go for the disco otherwise Toyota all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,415 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I was in Oz about 10 years ago and if you wanted a serious 4WD the landcruiser was the no.1 choice.

10 years is a long time ago in terms of Land Rover build quality. Back then reliability was terrible, now it is good. The off road capabilities of any Land Rover were always excellent
    But my point was a 4x4 that's not a fashion statement...

To most buyers it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

I know from experience that the Landcruiser is bullet proof. Land Rovers have come on leaps and bounds but they will always be the more fragile of the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

The company I work for run a fairly large fleet of 4x4's, over a 100. They dumped Landrover in favour of Toyota back in 01, but are introducing the Disco 3 back into the fleet now.

Some of the lads I work with have switched from the Landcruisers to the Disco's,and are gerenally happy with them so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I have a soft spot for the cruiser, i really like them, disco's ive never being sure about.
    Now the pajero ive recently being in the swb version and like alot. But i would also be interested in the Nissan Patrol.

So in order of my preference
    1)Cruiser
    2)Pajero
    3)Patrol/Disco 3!

This thread seems to be loving the toyota, but i haven't being in or driven the new discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Hey guys,
    For someone who wouldn't be able to finance the 3.0Diesel in the Land cruiser, would it make sense to swap in a 2.4 from a hilux? How'd it manage the weight difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I'd go with the Toyota if I were you. Landies were always a bit of an unreliable heap of ****e in the past but on the plus side they were relatively simple mechanically and therefore easy to put right.
    I know sweet bugger all about the latest Disco or LR3 or whatever you call it but I do know that it's a complex beast that weighs more than the Range Rover and is therefore unlikely to be mechanically simple. This means BIG bills if things go tits up reliability wise.
    Toyota for me.:)

Advertisement