Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On the right track?????

Options
  • 06-03-2008 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hey all :D Ok so I'm aiming for high points in June, hopefully 580. I just thought it'd be benificial to chat to others who are working towards high grades to see if i'm on the right track. How did the pre's go? What subjects are ye intending to count? Are ye leaving one subject go to concentrate on others? What courses are ye interested in? Study? IS IT WORTH IT??? :pI understand that everyone's different but still it might be helpful....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

Are you aiming for medicine? If so I'd aim for 590 if I were you. I'm aiming for 585 but unfortunately without geography field work that's the max I can aim for. It's quite possible the points will go up because a) people think the points are dropping this year so feel they'll have more of a chance and will stick it on their CAO, b) people want to get in before the points drop so they can tell people in years to come 'oh I got in when it was still high points unlike those other plebs'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tan90'

Ugh i get soooo miffed!!! I really dispise people who put down Medicine on their CAO just to "go for it" even though they have no interest and know they won't get the points - It makes it that much more difficult for people who are seriously determined to study it :mad: Ya i'm hoping for max points tbh, i'm not leaving one of my subjects go becuase i feel i'd be taking too much of a chance :D What subjects are you doing?? I've got Chem, Bio, Francais, Home Ec, Maths, Gaeilge, nd Eng.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Tan90' wrote: »
    Ugh i get soooo miffed!!! I really dispise people who put down Medicine on their CAO just to "go for it" even though they have no interest and know they won't get the points - It makes it that much more difficult for people who are seriously determined to study it :mad:

How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Tan90'

How?

Because demand drives up the points!
    Also being in a learning environment with people who are just there because they had enough points and "didn't want them to go to waste" is hardly conducive to productive learning is it? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭failsafe

Because demand drives up the points!
    Also being in a learning environment with people who are just there because they had enough points and "didn't want them to go to waste" is hardly conducive to productive learning is it? :confused:
    That's not the way the point system works. Only people who get the points affect the demand level. If there are 30 spaces (for example), the top scoring 30 who have the course on their CAO get offered the place, the points for that course are then what the 30th person scored. If 5 of those people don't chose to do medicine, the points level then drops to what the 35th highest scoring applicant got.

• Advertisement

I personally know people who are studying medicine and who shouldn't be there. One of them had no interest in it previous to studying at Leeson Street. What they told me- 'people are cut throat about getting into medicine here'. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I also have to disagree with putting it down 'just to see if you can'. Its wasteful. You'd get into medicine and because you had no real interest to begin with (lets say) you will drop out before you get qualified. This is a waste: its a spot better reserved for the people with the drive.

I once heard the story of a lad who got 600, twice, and twice was refused into his preference because of the number of 600 point students applying. Last I heard he had gone for a 3rd sitting of the leaving cert after that but I hope to god I heard wrong. It makes me sick to think he got outted by people who were there just because they could, not because they wanted to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Overheal wrote: »
    I also have to disagree with putting it down 'just to see if you can'. Its wasteful. You'd get into medicine and because you had no real interest to begin with (lets say) you will drop out before you get qualified. This is a waste: its a spot better reserved for the people with the drive.

I once heard the story of a lad who got 600, twice, and twice was refused into his preference because of the number of 600 point students applying. Last I heard he had gone for a 3rd sitting of the leaving cert after that but I hope to god I heard wrong. It makes me sick to think he got outted by people who were there just because they could, not because they wanted to be.
    3 sittings of the leaving cert and got 600 the 1st two times??

thats crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 32 robck1

Ugh i get soooo miffed!!! I really dispise people who put down Medicine on their CAO just to "go for it" even though they have no interest and know they won't get the points - It makes it that much more difficult for people who are seriously determined to study it :mad:

I have to disagree here, some people really want to study medicine and for whatever reason know that they will struggle to get the points, they put Medicine on the CAO in hope that the 2 weeks of exams will go the right way for them. CAO is done on personal perference not on what other people want. IF someone wants to put Medicine on their CAO but know it may not happen let them.

Also people with "no interest" may not have no interest because they feel they cant get the points and again put it down in hope of a good Leaving Cert. Rather than bitch about the fact it makes it harder for some people maybe encourage those who are struggling.

P.S I realise this is off topic but i had to make my point

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

Overheal wrote: »

But you can apply again using points from previous years so...

I guess it's good he got refused his preference cause he seems kinda dumb.

But then again, this story is obviously not true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

But you can apply again using points from previous years so...

I guess it's good he got refused his preference cause he seems kinda dumb.

But then again, this story is obviously not true.

it was one of those cuppa tea stories so I dont verify the details are accurate but it was his third sit of the certs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭me2gud4u

that story is a load of tripe!If you get 600, you go where you want regardlessof how many people apply and have 600. Sure there are a few on my course with 600 (ucd med) but just because it is medicine does not mean everyone is on 600.....this yr I'd say there are approx ten. Plenty of people are on 590, 585,580,575, 570. In fact i'd say the average points are around 575. we will all make just as good as doctors!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Fibonacci23

I'm aiming for med too!! Mocks: 555... could be better?? Anyone want to share some advice? :D

Perhaps it was for another course? Why repeat when he already has the points, why not just reapply with them?

Advice: learn every single little detail even if people tell you you don't need to. Find it works for me.

Advertisement