Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for change in career path

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hello everyone,

I've been going mad with all the questions going around in my head lately so I'm going to ask for your opinions and advice please!

After doing the LC I decided to do a degree in Journalism (even though I much preffered art to english). I enjoyed first year, but looking back now I realise it was only for the student lifestyle and not the course itself which was a complete let down (with only 10/12 hrs a week it felt like a joke!).

But out of fear of my mother (:P) and the fact that I don't like to quit I kept at it. I took a year out before final year hoping it would do me some good and get me motivated again but when I started back this year I couldn't even bring myself to even think about going to class never mind actually going in to do work!!
    I realised I've been so unhappy with what I was doing that it just got the better of me and I finally picked up the courage to drop out and plan to start all over.

What I really would like to do, and what I've always regretted not doing in the first place, is architecture.
    But after such a 'doss' course I'm just so afraid that it'll be all too much to handle!
    I'm only just gone 23 which isn't too bad, i'll still be at least 29 when I finish though - am I crazy? Should I look into something similar but slightly easier/shorter? Or will I just live to regret not giving it a go?

I have applied to do a plc course in architectural studies for next Sept to give me a bit of a feel for whats ahead - is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of getting into DIT? And to give me a taste of whats ahead?

If anybody has been in any similar situations, or are doing architecture themselves, any advice you have from your own experience will be greatly appreciated!!

(Sorry for the long post - haha it could have been longer!!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Hi DLMP,

Sometimes you just have to go for it. DIT offer a degree in architectural technology and it has been discussed here. You can also have a look in the Art & Architecture forum where this course has also been discussed.

Advertisement