Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had the choice, would you kick the present government out?

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

If you had the power to, as the public, would you kick the present Government ( Greens and all) out?

I would. There are just too many mistakes and flaws that are yet to be rectified and even with questions over our Leaders financial dealings, I would be inclined to vote yes, if we could kick the current government out.

EDIT: I would make a poll but obviously I can;t in this forum.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

If you had the power to, as the public, would you kick the present Government ( Greens and all) out?

I would. There are just too many mistakes and flaws that are yet to be rectified and even with questions over our Leaders financial dealings, I would be inclined to vote yes, if we could kick the current government out.

Yea why not, I'm sure that would solve all our problems :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I'm not implying it will solve all our problems, it certainly won't, but I don't think it would do any harm either. I would like to see how the country does with someone else.

You have to admit, the current goverment hasn't done exactly a splendid job on running the country recently. I am mostly leaning towards our health system, in the light of the report being published yesterday but among other things, transportation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Rosser

I'm not implying it will solve all our problems, it certainly won't, but I don't think it would do any harm either. I would like to see how the country does with someone else.

That's what elections are for, the people have spoken and clearly felt that it might well do some harm with someone else. I'm not sure that if there was an election tomorrow that the result would be any different. I didn't vote for them but I think the Greens are doing a credible job so far.

They have gone back on a lot of their views also though, from the pre-election.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You have to admit, the current goverment hasn't done exactly a splendid job on running the country recently. I am mostly leaning towards our health system, in the light of the report being published yesterday but among other things, transportation etc.

did you only realise today that our health service is an absolute inhumane disgusting jokingly run sham by those incompetent f**kwits for the past 11 years?

to answer the thread topic, of course yes, sure i voted the government out last May and the party i voted for brought them back in :rolleyes: as unconvincing Fine Gael and Labour are there are simply the lesser of the two evils and the lesser of the two incompetent f**kwits. as much as my disdain for the the current crop of unprincipled turncoats the Greens are, i would not trust Fine Gael and Labour to get this country on the environmental path so i would want a FG/Lab/Green coalition.

but hey we got our voice last May and 40+% of us wanted another 5 years of incompetence, lies, brown envelopes, e-voting machines and Willie O'Dea so i can only dream

• Advertisement

Hmm. As reguards to the realisation that the health service only being shocking after that report, I became aware of it much earlier after other shocking reports of it's incompetence and complete disreguard.

And as you said, we only have ourselvles to blame as we stupidly voted them in for another 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

If you had the choice, would you kick the present government out?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

prob not considering what the alternatives are....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

DrumSteve wrote: »
    prob not considering what the alternatives are....

Care to elaborate or are you proclaiming the best of a bad lot theory beloved of the brain dead?

Part of the previous alternative is the Green Party, Finian Magrath and the clown from Kerry! Now some poor folk voted for these in the hope of change and what they got was even worse. Betrayal by the Greens in return for fancy ministerial salaries and mercs.

Those Greens who vehemently opposed St Patricks Day junkets are now on the boarding list for same.

Yes sir, your comments are very illuminating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Auditor #9

to answer the thread topic, of course yes, sure i voted the government out last May and the party i voted for brought them back in :rolleyes: as unconvincing Fine Gael and Labour are there are simply the lesser of the two evils and the lesser of the two incompetent f**kwits. as much as my disdain for the the current crop of unprincipled turncoats the Greens are, i would not trust Fine Gael and Labour to get this country on the environmental path so i would want a FG/Lab/Green coalition.
    I agree with you there and voted the same. Greens can be Left and Labour can be green, policy-wise, so I believe those two would work together well.

FG on the other hand are financially prudent which is agreeable to a lot of us (and would be I believe to their partners in govt) but obviously not to the right amount of people who have interests. The cost of land purchase for infrastructure and the loose lending practices which have somewhat made wages slaves of a restless people at the best of times may not have been allowed under an FG govt. Does anyone know if CPOs would be different under such an administration?

Trouble is, the culture which FF have engendered here now of doling out plenty to the expanding mushrooms might not be compatible with the idea of a prudent govt of FG/Lab/GP. In the minds of voters, this doesn't add up to support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭duggie-89

i would in a flash. (as my sig.... would suggest)

but it has just been one long joke after another. but again thats what southern politics is like. it has been one long joke after another, it kind of reminders me of kenya where the politicans see it as a job and not a service to the people.

i would suggest that a SF gov or at least a SF lead gov would get the jobs done. lol lol ok before anyone freaks out and starts the attacks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Heinrich wrote: »
    Care to elaborate or are you proclaiming the best of a bad lot theory beloved of the brain dead?
    Brain dead? I don't think its him whos brain dead.
    You have several choices. None of them are good. Some aren't as bad as others. You choose the least damaging one, if you have any sense.
    I don't subscribe to that arguement myself, but if you believe that they are all bad, but you think some are worse than others, then it makes sense to keep the least damaging people in government.
    Understand? Or do I have to use puppets?

Auditor #9 wrote: »
    FG on the other hand are financially prudent
    Not really. They talk about it, but if you actually look at their record in government, they always allowed themselves to be stymied by Labour whenever unpopular decisions had to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭partholon

no.

i dont like this government and i didnt vote for it. its lack of accountability and its apalling policies on health and other issues disgust me.

but the people have spoken. thats democracy. just cause i dont like the result doenst mean i dont respect the outcome.

christ i dont think half the referendums ive voted on came out the way i want. all you can say afterwards is "its not my fault it turned out that way. i voted differently".

gives you a bit of moral superiority :)

i dont fancy a dictatorship and even with the best of intentions thats what you'd end up with. all in all we have a pretty good system. just look a the lisbon treaty , NO ONE else is getting a vote on that because , IMO ,their systems arent as robust as ours.

bertie'd kill to be able to just sign that into power like the rest of europe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I say keep them in.

They created an economy too reliant on a housing bubble, if the opposition got in now, they would get the blame for the housing crash and its consequences.

Let FF take the flak for what they have created and deal with it, then the electorate will see how bad they are at mismanaging the economy when it hurts them in the pocket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭pfkf1

Brain dead? I don't think its him whos brain dead.
    You have several choices. None of them are good. Some aren't as bad as others. You choose the least damaging one, if you have any sense.
    I don't subscribe to that arguement myself, but if you believe that they are all bad, but you think some are worse than others, then it makes sense to keep the least damaging people in government.
    Understand? Or do I have to use puppets?

Not really. They talk about it, but if you actually look at their record in government, they always allowed themselves to be stymied by Labour whenever unpopular decisions had to be made.

There is a clear alternative, with very talented intelligent people on the opposition benches, to name a few:

Enda Kenny
    Richard Bruton
    Alan Shatter
    Leo Varadkar
    James Reilly
    Brian Hayes
    Phil Hogan
    Fergus O Dowd
    Simon Coveney
    Olivia Mitchell
    Olwyen Enright
    Pat Rabbitte
    Eamonn Gilmore
    Brendan Howlin
    Ruairi Quinn
    Joan Burton
    (I know I am Forgetting some names)

That doesn't include the Greens who would have been involved with the Rainbow, in that party you have Eamon Ryan, John Gormley, Trevor Sargent.

To say that none of these people are good, is an idiotic uneducated comment. As for removing this government, obviously I would love to see it, but we are in a democracy and the Greens decided to give this government a stay of execution, we will have to wait until the next time out.

Anyone who voted for FF/PDs have no right to complain about anything over the next 4 years, as they have decided to keep things the same, we will have to wait until the next GE, to remove this government fro office, thats how our democracy works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

gurramok wrote: »
    I say keep them in.

They created an economy too reliant on a housing bubble, if the opposition got in now, they would get the blame for the housing crash and its consequences.

Let FF take the flak for what they have created and deal with it, then the electorate will see how bad they are at mismanaging the economy when it hurts them in the pocket.

Exactly, if FF was voted out of office at the last election they would have got off the hook now that the "celtic tiger" party is over. A bunch of infants could have managed the economy when it was in boom times (and probably run it better), so lets see FF manage the economy now that we are heading for a downturn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

its stupid when people say theres no alternative, if people/aprties lose trust in bertie or something else happens, you have an election, even if FF get back in, that's what elections are for.

Advertisement