Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

in car cd player help

Options
  • 06-03-2008 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

right I'm an idiot i know, i bought a cheap ass cd player from France on some website, i installed it into my vw transporter, grand no problem plays away fine, only problem was when i removed the key i lost the stored radio station and the cd would start from the start as apposed to continuing playback, feck it i thought, cheap ass stereo i thought, you pay peanuts you get monkeys, so today i bought a snazzy new pioneer cd player and installed it again, all wires into appropriate sockets, well there is only 3, but to my surprise the same problem, losing all the memory when i take out the key, i knew then it was something wrong on my part, i googled my problem and it seams I'm not connecting the radio to the battery, just the ignition, so its losing power and memo when i unplug, trouble is i dont see any other wire for the battery. the wires I'm connecting are kind of a double plug that goes into an adaptor that goes into the radio, the other wire i have is the antenna, so wheres this bloody battery wire i need, the last radio worked fine, no cd player but it always stored the stations, any help appreciated

its a 99 vw transporter if that helps

thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I'm no expert on these sort of things but I vagely remember reading before that VWs have a seperate connection of something for the memory on the radio and not a direct connection to the battery.

Have no links but it just rang a bell with me. Sorry I cannot be of any further help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

cheers mate, i googled what u said and found this
    Although VW use an ISO connection block for their stereo wiring (the same as all aftermarket stereos) you cannot simply plug it straight in. On the late VW's the pin configuration of these 2 power wires is reversed. Therefore if you plug it straight in the stereo will work fine, but as soon as you switch it off it will lose all of its memory setting.

To solve this problem you will need a VW wiring adaptor, this will plug into your VW wiring harness at one end and into the aftermarket stereo at the other end. In between these 2 points, the adaptor swaps over the location of the 2 power wires, curing the problem
    ill source a vw wiring harness, no biggie,
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

BOBBY wrote: »
    cheers mate, i googled what u said and found this
    ill source a vw wiring harness, no biggie,
    thanks

Before spending more money......

Try swapping the red and yellow power wires out of the back of the radio. If it's anything like mine they have a "split" halfway down the wire to make it easy to do this. This will solve the loosing all stations issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

R.O.R wrote: »
    Before spending more money......

Try swapping the red and yellow power wires out of the back of the radio. If it's anything like mine they have a "split" halfway down the wire to make it easy to do this. This will solve the loosing all stations issue.
    ya man spot on, thats great works perfect, i owe u a pint

Advertisement