Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Epic" songs?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Velvet Underground - Heroin, Sister Ray
    Sonic Youth - Teen Age Riot, Total Trash, Mote
    Smashing Pumpkins - Starla, Porcelina Of The Vast Oceans, Thru The Eyes Of Ruby, For Martha
    Radiohead - How To Disappear Completely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

You guys have a weird idea of what epic is. I think epic is "ride of the Valkyries". Something broad and expansive and growing and changing and envigorating.

The Doors, really, pfft
    Ian Curtis, ffs
    Dexys, good grief

Bohemian Rhapsody, perhaps
    Jungleland, maybe

But I can't actually think of any actual definitively epic rock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

nipplenuts wrote: »
    You guys have a weird idea of what epic is. I think epic is "ride of the Valkyries". Something broad and expansive and growing and changing and envigorating.

The Doors, really, pfft
    Ian Curtis, ffs
    Dexys, good grief

Jungleland, maybe

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

big b wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

If you have nothing to say, why bother? rolleyes is not a contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Epic by Faith No More
    Holding my Own by The Darkness
    songs by thephoenixmusicgroup mwahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

The Doors, really, pfft
    Ian Curtis, ffs
    Dexys, good grief

Jungleland, maybe

Why do these threads alway turn into a bitchin session, anyway, epic is prob different to people. I would say epic to me is a long song (more than the 3 min usual) and rouses some kind of strong emotion in the listener. Slagging off peoples personal choices is not cool. Offering a "check this out" or "to me this is epic" is preferable.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

When An Old Cricketer Leaves The Crease - Roy Harper
    Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me - Gavin Byars

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

kerash wrote: »
    Why do these threads alway turn into a bitchin session, anyway, epic is prob different to people. I would say epic to me is a long song (more than the 3 min usual) and rouses some kind of strong emotion in the listener. Slagging off peoples personal choices is not cool. Offering a "check this out" or "to me this is epic" is preferable.:)

Epic was meant differently to good which is what I think he was saying that a lot of people are ignoring with some of their suggestions. I'd agree with that.

It's the stages that make it epic imo. For example, Paranoid Android is epic whilst Fake Plastic Trees is not. Mogwai tend to have epic albums (Zidane OST ftw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

LSD by Hallucinogen
    2112 by Rush
    Teen Age Riot by Sonic Youth

Actually, fúck it, this post is so devoid of any logical selection process, I'm only posting songs that immediately came into my head when the word "epic" was mentioned, but tbh, it's an ill defined term in the context of this thread.

You know what's epic? This is fúcking epic:

Orphans by Teenage Jesus and the Jerks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Kold wrote: »
    Epic was meant differently to good which is what I think he was saying that a lot of people are ignoring with some of their suggestions. I'd agree with that.

It's the stages that make it epic imo. For example, Paranoid Android is epic whilst Fake Plastic Trees is not. Mogwai tend to have epic albums (Zidane OST ftw).

But maybe what one considers good is someone elses "epic" its too hard to define and will result in clash of opinions. I'm tired and confused now:pI'll stick with my initial Beatle-day inthe life and CCR - Heard it throught he grapevine but i could go on.. and on .. and on...

JC 2K3 wrote: »
    LSD by Hallucinogen
    2112 by Rush
    Teen Age Riot by Sonic Youth

Actually, fúck it, this post is so devoid of any logical selection process, I'm only posting songs that immediately came into my head when the word "epic" was mentioned, but tbh, it's an ill defined term in the context of this thread.

I think your right, with out a solid definition of "epic", its well... at best, a list of songs based on the various personal definitons....:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭big b

If you have nothing to say, why bother? rolleyes is not a contribution.

True, compared to your remarkable insight, mine pales into the shadows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Glosoli

'Glosolí' by Sigur Rós (hence my name).....the build up and the finale makes my hair stand on end!

Well worth checkin out...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eY5Gq2ckEM

This is the version used in 24 Hour Party People, right?
    the screen saver pic would seem to suggest it is. :)
    Yeah that's the song, was used in the film indeed, the final scene in the Hacienda, the very last song play before it shut its' doors. It was a scene where Wilson was walking through the club saying goodbye. It fitted in nicely. But they used the Carter Remix of "24 Hour Party People" as the title which I think is a well mixed song, class actually!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Comfortably Numb by Pink Floyd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭co_co

Yesterday by Beatles:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Loose Yourself-Eminem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

Play Dead by Bjork

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

'Lose yourself'

That is the definition of epic.

The start of the second verse is *can't describe the emotion''

Then when he starts talking about a struggle for food stamps..pretty damn epic. Sort of just shows the line between success and failure.
    Loose Yourself-Eminem

We heard you the first time man!

You're so wrong though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Here's a fantastic definition of epic:
    Surpassing the usual or ordinary, particularly in scope or size

Now, this would easily translate to musical composition, so I don't think anyone here should be too puzzled by what epic means in a music context. It wouldn't be your usual 3 minute verse/chorus/verse pop song now, would it? ;)

Now, all the stars has said Play Dead by Bjork, and this is a good example, the orchestration gives the song a very grandiose, 'big' and powerful sound, something you could certainly call epic.

Someone mentioned Dream Theater earlier, another terrific example of epic. The sound on the vid here does the DVD no justice at all, you should really hear this with 5.1 surround, absolutely breathtaking:

I'd also consider this to be very epic in sound as well:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

+1 on all the Pink Floyd suggestions!

I don't think epic in musical terms is very closely associated with a regular definition of "epic". Length would be a factor, but length alone doesn't make a piece of music epic. I can think of a 70 minute piece of music that I wouldn't consider to be any more epic than your average 4 minute pop tune. I reckon its a combination of length, compositional structure, and a number of oft-used tricks like dramatic glissandi/crescendos/really loud guitars with lots of reverb at strategic points.

I don't think "epic" music necessarily has any more or less depth than non-epic music, its just another mood applied via a compositional style, like "angsty" or "camp" or "melancholy" or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭fillmore jive

soundgarden-like suicide

chunnnnnnnnnnnne and a half

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Samuel Taylor Coleridge/Iron Maiden collaboration
    Rime of the Ancient Mariner...it took nearly 187 years between writing lyrics and music:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

Shiina Ringo - Shuukyo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMBdbUJNqY

Have a listen, ridiculously sweet song from, in my opinion, one of the best albums you never heard.

pinksoir wrote: »
    Shiina Ringo - Shuukyo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOMBdbUJNqY

Have a listen, ridiculously sweet song from, in my opinion, one of the best albums you never heard.

Hmm, very interesting song, but 'epic'?

Why not epic? I think it has all the elements - orchestra, apocalyptic drums, it's about the singers disillusionment with religion, major lifts and minor falls, long outro...

What constitutes an 'epic' song? G 'n R 'November Rain'?

What constitutes an 'epic' song? G 'n R 'November Rain'?

Never said that, did I? Just interested in a little elaboration, far too many people are just popping in, namedropping, and leaving the thread without any further discussion.

Indeed. Incidently, havin read your blog, I see you have quite the interest in Asian arts. Have you ever heard Shiina Ringo's album 'Karuki Zemen Kuri no Hana'? It's the album this song opens. Pretty epic album altogether.

Indeed. Incidently, havin read your blog, I see you have quite the interest in Asian arts. Have you ever heard Shiina Ringo's album 'Karuki Zemen Kuri no Hana'? It's the album this song opens. Pretty epic album altogether.

I've not, I'm afraid. I may just give it a look though.

Speaking of Japanese music though, one musician in particular I'm almost obsessed with is Hiromi Uehara. I'd say this would be one of her most epic songs:

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

A few from Spiritualized would definitely be considered epic - in particular the 17 minute long 'Cop Shoot Cop' from the excellent 'Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space'. I'd also consider 'I Think I'm in Love' to be epic too.

http://www.discogs.com/release/533668

An excellent electronic/dance example would have to be 'Smokebelch II (David Holmes Remix) by The Sabres of Paradise. One of the most amazing pieces of dance music or even any music ever made :eek:

http://www.discogs.com/release/35246

And actually, while on the subject of the Sabres of Paradise, the Jam J EP with James is another definitely of epic proportions :) An amazing release -

http://www.discogs.com/release/134059

• Advertisement

I've not, I'm afraid. I may just give it a look though.

Speaking of Japanese music though, one musician in particular I'm almost obsessed with is Hiromi Uehara. I'd say this would be one of her most epic songs:

Wow. That was...erm...

That was one of the best things I've ever heard. Thank you.

Unbelievable.

Advertisement