Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licence Question

Options
  • 07-03-2008 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

basically i believe i read here a long time ago that you can upgrade a shotgun licence to a rifle licence depending on your fo of course, now is this actually written into law or does it depend on your fo super??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They normally will insist on a fresh rifle application being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

newby.204 wrote: »
    basically i believe i read here a long time ago that you can upgrade a shotgun licence to a rifle licence depending on your fo of course, now is this actually written into law or does it depend on your fo super??

Actually written in law:
    1964 11
    Change of firearm to which firearm certificate relates.

11.—(1) Subject to subsection (3) of this section, the Minister or the commissioner may substitute for the description of a firearm in a firearm certificate granted by him or her (2006 54) the description of another firearm and, upon such substitution, the certificate shall have effect in relation to that other firearm and shall not have effect in relation to the first-mentioned firearm.

(2) Subject to subsection (3) of this section, the Superintendent of any district or any member of the Garda Síochána in any district duly authorised to do so by the Superintendent of that district may substitute for the description of a firearm (other than a restricted firearm) (2006 54) in a firearm certificate held by a person residing in that district the description of another such (2006 54) firearm and, upon such substitution, the certificate shall have effect in relation to that other firearm and shall not have effect in relation to the first-mentioned firearm.

(3) A substitution under this section in a firearm certificate shall not be effected unless the rate of excise duty chargeable in respect of a renewal of the certificate after the substitution does not exceed the rate chargeable immediately before such substitution.

The italicised bits are those that were subsequently amended in the 2006 CJA.

Subsection 3 makes it clear that you can only substitute firearms of the same or lower license fee amounts. In other words, a rifle/pistol for a rifle/pistol, a shotgun for a shotgun, or a shotgun for a rifle/pistol.
    (the first being the new firearm).

Advertisement