Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of Moving to Sligo!!!

Options
  • 07-03-2008 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭

Hi just thinking about locating to Sligo and was wondering What Tubbercurry and Ballymote were like to live in and what the schools and that were like plus if i did what kind of gaa clubs were arould the areas mentioned? thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

Hi! :)

You might find this thread useful, Lots of information there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

I can't comment on the Schools or GAA but I can tell you that both areas would be grand to live in.
    Tubber is the second largest urban area (behind Sligo) in the county.
    A lot of ppl have moved to these areas and they commute to Sligo.

GAA would be pretty strong in Tubber I would imagine.

Where are you from anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

I'm from County Wicklow and think i need a compleat change at the moment I personaly think the east coast is too fast for me and just need to chill for a few years!

gcgirl wrote: »
    I'm from County Wicklow and think i need a compleat change at the moment I personaly think the east coast is too fast for me and just need to chill for a few years!

There's a different pace for sure!
    Was in Wicklow last year for the first time.
    It's a beautiful place!
    You'll be glad to know that the scenery and greenery in Sligo is pretty damn good too (if not better!)
    Trouble is that we don't market our County properly! So much to offer!

I think i might as well just make the move from what i have seen on boards the communty in Tubber is quite good and they have resource centers as well we can't even say we have that where i currently live!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

When you're on the move sure you might as well keep going till you get to Donegal. Much better place and the natives are friendlier. ;)

muffler wrote: »
    When you're on the move sure you might as well keep going till you get to Donegal. Much better place and the natives are friendlier. ;)

Oi!
    Back of Donegal!
    We saw her first!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Maybe there should be a stickied thread with advice for all those thinking of moving to Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

:mad::mad:
    Yeah right, like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I'm sure Tubber or Ballymote would be lovely, once you've learned to live with the flesh eating trolls and infectious...wait. Nevermind. I'm sure you'll be very happy here:rolleyes::D

• Advertisement

MikeySligo wrote: »
    :mad::mad:
    Yeah right, like.

???
    Bad experience with our Neighbours?
    Most of the Donegal ppl I know are spot on (except Muffler of course:D;))

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Gillie wrote: »
    Most of the Donegal ppl I know are spot on (except Muffler of course:D;))

Mufflers a cuddly teddy bear.*

Hands off, Donegal, we got her first.

*Lots of bears round them parts I hears....

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sueme wrote: »
    Mufflers a cuddly teddy bear.*

Hands off, Donegal, we got her first.

*Lots of bears round them parts I hears....
    Is that bare or bear?m

Either or wud describe me ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Is that bare or bear?m

Either or wud describe me ;)

Like this
    http://www.flixster.com/movie/gremlins/photos
    and then one too many like pic in the corner. :eek:

Have you noticed have said nothing about the OP moving to Leitrim instead of Sligo.
    She will find out herself when she does her research. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

I'd have Tubber over Ballymote any day of the week.
    Ballymote..eugh. Bit of a town filled with shams and the like.

The Gah scene in Tubber would be better too.
    My advice, join Real Tubber.;)

I'd have Tubber over Ballymote any day of the week.
    Ballymote..eugh. Bit of a town filled with shams and the like.

Hah! And you reckon Tubber isn't filled with "Shams"?
    You've got to be kidding!

Both areas are grand to live in and overall are probably a lot safer than Sligo itself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

The safety thing is debateable, especially on a saturday night. Both towns have quite good GAA teams. Commuting from Tubber to Sligo is totally possible, but the road isn't exactly suited to it-you might go mad within a week being stuck behind trucks and tractors, especially in summertime (harvest and all). Ballymote is even more rural and have the roads to match. Actually both towns are pretty swamped with cars, etc on a daily basis, I haven't heard of too many accidents, but it doesn't make them very nice towns to walk around (and when there is an accident, like in Tubber a week or two ago, its takes HOURS to sort out).

Do you have a job lined up OP? I don't have to tell you that they are getting scarce on the ground, and while there are a few factories in both towns, you probably wouldn't have your pick of jobs. Even in sligo its tight enough-there aren't many jobs in this weeks champion. Thats only going to get worse imo.

I know these are all negatives but there are good things about sligo as well, but you don't have to put up with them if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Hah! And you reckon Tubber isn't filled with "Shams"?
    You've got to be kidding!

Both areas are grand to live in and overall are probably a lot safer than Sligo itself!

Rural living in the fields five minutes from town ftw!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

strandhill ftw...soccer,rugby and gaelic underage projects,new facilities etc all in full swing...plus living near the beach is always great..some lively pubs if thats you're thing and jade gardens is lovely restaurant...about 10-15 mins from the town centre,should really be checked out!...did i mention free tennis courts and a nice golf club there too:-)

• Advertisement

Where are the tennos courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

gcgirl wrote: »
    I think i might as well just make the move from what i have seen on boards the communty in Tubber is quite good and they have resource centers as well we can't even say we have that where i currently live!

Well gcgirl, have you made the move West?

Well gcgirl, have you made the move West?

July/August !!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Where are the tennos courts?

Beside the pitch. Turn in across from the Barracks like appartments. Lane goes between houses.
    not sure about the new facilities though. Overcrowded school avec portacabin, no community center, no public toilet, no creche (that I know of) and the bare minimum shop wise. Otherwise it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭crawlb4uwalk

so did you move to Sligo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

Keep away from Tubbercurry and Ballymote, they are not nice places to live in, I have friends that live in Coolaney (rural peaceful and quite) and only 15 mins from Sligo, houses are pretty cheap to rent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Ham Sambo wrote: »
    Keep away from Tubbercurry and Ballymote, they are not nice places to live in,

:confused: I have no doubt my friends would beg to differ on that silly sweeping generalisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Very old thread. Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement