Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marks brothers.

Options
  • 07-03-2008 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember marks brothers on the bottom of Georges st,just before dame. They made fantastic sambo's,huge they were,and very nice soup too. They closed down several years ago now,just wondering if they reopened somewhere else under a different name. I'd travel for one of their sambo's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

can't remember them but that big Spar on Camden st gave me a massive sambo last week, not sure whether it's their policy or just a generous Chinese lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭BDubliner

They're still in prison, They got twenty to life hard labour for interfering with sheep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Good News!!!

It is still around, now called 'Simon's Place' and it's within a stone's throw of the old spot. You'll find it just up the street at the west entrance to the George's St Arcade. As a Brucie Bonus, you'll also find that the menu has barely change with the exact same bread, cheese, soups, cinnamon buns, etc... all at decent prices.

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

Thanks tricky,I'll check em out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

tricky D wrote: »
    Good News!!!

It is still around, now called 'Simon's Place' and it's within a stone's throw of the old spot. You'll find it just up the street at the west entrance to the George's St Arcade. As a Brucie Bonus, you'll also find that the menu has barely change with the exact same bread, cheese, soups, cinnamon buns, etc... all at decent prices.

enjoy!

Still the same, thank goodness! And a decent staff ethos too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Was thinking about Marks Bros recently. On top of the best soup, salads and sangers served there the atmosphere was electric particularly on Saturday when a lot of well known faces would drop by.

My usual order was:
    Tuna Sandwich
    Bowl of General Vegetable Soup
    Cauliflower Cheese Salad
    Coffee
    Cinnamon Scroll

I know Simon has kept the same menu and vibe but there was something unique about Marks Bros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I really like Simon's Place. The coffee can be slightly bitter bu thte sandwiches are great and it has a lovely atmosphere.

Plus there's a girl that works in there who is perfect. Seriously. Just perfect. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This is the same Simon's Place (beside the George's Street arcade) that just throw out limp sambos wrapped in cling film whenever I'm in there?

Nice place to sit and watch the street all the same. Nice looking, friendly staff too.

stovelid wrote: »
    This is the same Simon's Place (beside the George's Street arcade) that just throw out limp sambos wrapped in cling film whenever I'm in there?

I quite like the sandwiches there. Never found them limp - good country-sized cheese sandwiches with fresh tomatoes and a bit of mustard. Lovely!

Dropped in a while back. The same cracker sambo's but it must be 1/10th of the size of the old marks,shame because it always seems packed.I suppose that's good for buisness and rep,but a pain to find a seat and relax.

• Advertisement

dubtom wrote: »
    ...but a pain to find a seat and relax.
    If you are lucky to get a seat at the window you can literally stay there for hours chatting and watching the world go by. Simon is a very friendly chap too. He always makes an effort to have a chat even though he always seemed to be doing the job of the dish pig for some reason :D

dubtom wrote: »
    Dropped in a while back. The same cracker sambo's but it must be 1/10th of the size of the old marks,shame because it always seems packed.I suppose that's good for buisness and rep,but a pain to find a seat and relax.

There's seating downstairs too but it's not as good when you're not by the window.
    dSTAR wrote: »
    He always makes an effort to have a chat even though he always seemed to be doing the job of the dish pig for some reason :D

Cause you can't trust women to wash up properly, now can you?

dSTAR wrote: »
    If you are lucky to get a seat at the window you can literally stay there for hours chatting and watching the world go by. Simon is a very friendly chap too. He always makes an effort to have a chat even though he always seemed to be doing the job of the dish pig for some reason :D
    Oh,so your the reason I can't get a seat:pac:

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Cause you can't trust women to wash up properly, now can you?
    No comment ;)
    dubtom wrote:
    Oh,so your the reason I can't get a seat :pac:
    Mate haven't been there in nearly 10 years.

But I'll be back :P

Advertisement