Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new to fishing...need some help

Options
  • 07-03-2008 1:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 30

hey all ive just taken up coarse fishing for the first time since i was 12
    which is 13 years ago now, only problem is ive lost most of my knowledge
    on the subject,

id like to know when is the best time day/weather etc to go
    and bait i should use,
    ill be fishing in or around the dublin canals

any help would be great thanks.

PS is it illegal to coarse fish on the liffey around lucan?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

While the water is cold the daylight hours should be good.
    In the lower light levels of evening or on overcast days, you might get in among some bigger roach.
    The "carpark" stretch at CPI, on the Lower Lucan Road, is owned by the Dublin Salmon Anglers Assoc, but they allow coarse anglers to fish unhindered, so long as a salmon angler can "fish through" when moving downriver. And since there is no salmon fishing on it this year .....
    The canals can be difficult, but rewarding when you find good spots. roach, perch, some tench in places, and small to medium pike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i used to fish a lot on the canals near leixlip we used to get some great tench...biggest was 5lb 4 oz...id try collins bridge on leixlip where its pegged...the best ones were pretty much concentrated on the left of the boathouse stretch...but you can find some more easily..lots of roach etc...the barbberstown stretch is good too, thats the bridge before collins bridge..plenty of tench early (5am) and late...

i didnt know that about cpi..i used to fish that years ago..quality gudgeon out of there..used to be good for roach, as did the resevoir there..i also had some pike from it too...

moving out towards enfield is also a winner for tench - i have never had much success for bream - although my mate had a 4.5 pound hybrid from a stretch of the royal canal past kilcock..maynooth is also meant to be good!

early morning and late at night are the best times
    red maggots are probably the best bait..sweetcorn/worms are good too

i cant really help you with the grand canal area -- never really fished it much apart from edenderry..seem to be more bream/roach in there..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bittermusicman

Im also new to Fishing.. I love it and would really like to get the knowledge that is essential to beginners. is there any goo dwebsites out there that can give you the basic knowledge like, What line and bait is needed for certain fish, The best times or the year to catch certain types of fish etc. all the basic stuff. I'm teaching myself you see and have no one to ask these sorts of questions too. I could be doing some fundamental things wrong and not know about it.

Any help would be greatly apprecieated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

My best advice to you would be to join a club, Ive been a member of a few fishing clubs for years now and were always welcoming new members and any member would be glad to pass on his/her knowledge,
    If you are in the dublin area and want to learn the basics, take a trip up to Corkagh park in Clondalkin and speak to Godfrey, one of the soundest lads you will come across and what he dosnt know about freshwater fishing(espicialy pike) isnt worth knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 STIX001

yeah same as myself musicman even simple things like casting right,
    ive looked up on the eastern fisheries site the corkagh park web page
    im gonna go there this week if the weather improves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 STIX001

PS thanks guys for all d info great help!
    no point knowin ur stuff if u dont know where to fish i guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bittermusicman

I'm in the Cork/Kerry Area. www.swrfb.com is helpful in some ways.

Advertisement