Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my driver's license again!!

Options
  • 07-03-2008 3:20am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

It's becoming a joke. This very same thing happened last December - and I don't just mean losing the thing, I mean losing it exactly a week before I have a flight (and therefore need it for ID). Why can't it be my bloody college card or something that gets lost instead?!

Does any have a number for the GPO, or would I have to go there during the day (to the Drum or something)? Would the Garda station be able to tell me if it was handed in over the phone or would I have to go in and ask?

I'm hoping it's in someone's Corrib Village flat but I really don't have much of an idea where it could be...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

If you need ID for travelling I think if you have proof that you're travelling you can get a fast-tracked passport. Afaik it's 5 working days so it'd be cutting it a bit tight. But I don't know of a way to get a drivers licence any faster than that.

If you've a habit of loosing IDs maybe you should get a passport anyway so at least you've a chance of still having something to use. Also it means you can travel outside the EU.

Good luck!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

fozzle wrote: »
    If you need ID for travelling I think if you have proof that you're travelling you can get a fast-tracked passport. Afaik it's 5 working days so it'd be cutting it a bit tight. But I don't know of a way to get a drivers licence any faster than that.

If you've a habit of loosing IDs maybe you should get a passport anyway so at least you've a chance of still having something to use. Also it means you can travel outside the EU.

Good luck!

My passport was stolen last year, when I applied for a new one the (English) police were really fecking unhelpful (wouldn't sign/stamp parts of the form that explicitly required them to) so I've been meaning to sort that out.

I hate having to carry my license for ID - I applied for an AgeCard in September and haven't heard anything since. Should have known better than to rely on the Gardaí I suppose.

My only hope now is to turn up at Shannon and plead that they accept my college ID. There are no laws saying they can't - AerLingus accept pretty much any form of ID including bus passes, it's just RyanAir being their usual unhelpful selves. What do you reckon my chances are, if I get a nice RyanAir employee (they might even speak English!)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Ryanair don't normally budge an inch i'm afraid.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Go to your local MTO.
    Get a D800 form.
    Bring it to your local Garda station to be signed and stamped.
    Back to MTO with €5, photos and filled form and explain your predicament.
    Bring several proofs of your address and hope they may do it on the spot or post it ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

My only hope now is to turn up at Shannon and plead that they accept my college ID.

Might work, but what about the return trip? Assuming there is one.

• Advertisement

Go to your local MTO.
    Get a D800 form.
    Bring it to your local Garda station to be signed and stamped.
    Back to MTO with €5, photos and filled form and explain your predicament.
    Bring several proofs of your address and hope they may do it on the spot or post it ASAP.

What's an MTO? This is a UK driver's license. Unless there's a way to get an Irish provisional license that quickly?
    galwayrush wrote:
    Ryanair don't normally budge an inch i'm afraid.
    Aye they're bastards in general, but I have noticed they can be a bit relaxed at Shannon - not weighing your hand luggage and stuff. I was thinking about telling them I rang yesterday and was told my college ID would be okay... yeah it's not entirely honest but I'm pretty desperate here...
    nipplenuts wrote: »
    Might work, but what about the return trip? Assuming there is one.
    I'm back for 2 weeks so I'll have enough time to get another license then. Probably not for a passport though. I don't have a flight booked yet so I could always use AerLingus and use my college ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

What's an MTO? This is a UK driver's license
    Motor Tax Office. :)

It might have been helpful to have stated in your OP that it wasn't an Irish Licence. The fact that you are posting on a Irish Forum, with an Irish name and an Irish location, it would have been reasonable enough to expect that you were referring to an Irish Licence. :)

Motor Tax Office. :)

It might have been helpful to have stated in your OP that it wasn't an Irish Licence. The fact that you are posting on a Irish Forum, with an Irish name and an Irish location, it would have been reasonable enough to expect that you were referring to an Irish Licence. :)

True enough - but sure isn't Ireland full of foreigners now anyway :D

How does one go about getting a provisional license over here? Does it take a while? If this AgeCard bollocks is anything to go by I'd say I haven't a hope lol

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

> how does one go about getting a provisional licence?

Book a theory test.
    Study for it, while waiting X weeks.
    Sit and pass the theory test.
    Go to MTO with birth-certificate, theory-test-certificate, passport photos and eye-exam results, fill in the form, pay the 15-eruos.
    Wait up to a week for them to post it out.

Ohh .. and I think there may be a question about whether you've got a licence from another jurisdiction ... suspect that if you say "yes, the UK" they may refuse to issue to you, on the basis that you should be trading the UK one in.

Have you ever thought about catching the ferry instead of a plane? Only half ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ring your embassy. they should be able to issue you with emergency travel documents or something similar if you're situation is that bad.

and get a money belt for gods sake!

• Advertisement

JustMary wrote: »
    Have you ever thought about catching the ferry instead of a plane? Only half ;)

Aye but then you're talking about getting down to Rosslare, and getting from Wales to London O_o We did it before with the family, driving, and it takes yeeears.
    and get a money belt for gods sake!

Bleh, I'm not a tourist. Sounds like good advice though!

My AgeCard just arrived (after a 6 month wait). Does anyone know if RyanAir accept it? They should do, it carries just as much weight as a driver's license and it's probably harder to forge too!

Advertisement