Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Science

Options
  • 07-03-2008 4:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭

Heya guys,
    Its my first post in this forum. Im looking for any advice on returning to college to train to become a vet. I only have an honours degree in French/English from Ucd-is this enough to make eligible as a mature student?-
    What are my options re colleges or indeed studying abroad? Also any ideas of the cost involved would be greatly appreciated?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭AlanSparrowhawk

To the best of my knowledge:

Entry to vet in ireland is very competitive. mature entry is even more competitive. application is through CAO and applications are judged on their application form and a gamsat exam. more info here http://www.ucd.ie/horizons/vet_med.html

Technically an arts degree will suffice but it is not very valuable. It's not unusual for people with PhDs in Biology to apply for this course. However a lot of weight is also given for practical experience (farming, volunteering with RSPCA, working in a vet's clinic)

A lot of science graduates wishing to pursue veterinary studies apply to the UK and Hungary. My impression was a good zoology/agr/animal science degree from irish university and $$$ will guarantee your entry into the vet school in budapest.

It's not impossible in your situation but veterinary nursing/assisting/other animal care roles may be more realistic.

An idea for costs ~10000 euro per annum for "fees" plus living expenses. Cost of living is less in Hungary. Between 4 and 6 year course depending.
    Don't let me put you off, do your own research and decide if you want to make that commitment and effort.

Advertisement