Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Favourite pubs in Leitrim

• 07-03-2008 4:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭

This forum has been a bit dead lately. Thought I'd start a sister thread to the one on Sligo.
    I'll kick it off. my favourites are Gunning's (Conway's) in Drumshanbo, Flynn's and Dunne's in Carrick, The Poor Scholer and Smyth's in Ballinamore and McMurphy's Mountain Tavern (formerly Doherty's).
    Honourable mentions to Stanford's in Dromahair, McGurl's in Ballinamore and Carty's Lock 17 in Leitrim (village).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,332 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The Horses Head would be good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

il gatto wrote: »
    I'll kick it off. my favourites are Gunning's (Conway's) in Drumshanbo, Flynn's and Dunne's in Carrick
    Honourable mentions to Stanford's in Dromahair.
    +1 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭tulipandthistle

Stanford's +2 :D

Joe Gunnings is my favorite too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Gertie's in Kesh too. Haven't been for a while, but it's a great spot when there's a crowd or on a nice sunny evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Mmm.... I suppose Smith's is a nice pub but I prefer Prior's in Ballinamore.

I like Prior's too. They usually had better music there too. Couldn't get friends into it as they felt it was "too far" from the rest of the action. But then they'd drive from Molloy's to the Mill Race if we were out in Drumshanbo. Lazy feckers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

Gertie's in Kesh too. Haven't been for a while, but it's a great spot when there's a crowd or on a nice sunny evening.

I remember when Gertie was there, my god thinking back it was surreal. You could buy a pint and a loaf of bread and go up to the living room where the fire was always roaring.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭congress3

Lads, Lads ye left out Manorhamilton.
    I think the Castle pub is one of the best in Leitrim :D

I quite like Lock 17 in Leitrim village.Then again,I may be biased!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KerryM

Brilliant, yet another useful thread, not being exactly a temperance household!

We are about 5 miles from Ballinamore and haven't plucked up the courage to visit any of the bars yet, fearing a Strongbow moment possibly !:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Well first port of call for you should be Drumcoura City just over the road. You'll find lots of locals over there on a weekend. Very nice locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

we used to play trad sesiuns in smyths in ballinamore, great pub!
    the fleadh is on in drumsna this weekend so should be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KerryM

Hi Stepy

You're right, Drumcoura City is just down the road,
    I could almost stagger it.

We have our Sunday dinner there, but haven't imbibed without grub yet,
    I shall make it a priority!

~K~

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Berlin_100642

Fowley's in Dromahair. A real old-fashioned pub with a great pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Jabby

This forum has been a bit dead lately. Thought I'd start a sister thread to the one on Sligo.
    I'll kick it off. my favourites are Gunning's (Conway's) in Drumshanbo, Flynn's and Dunne's in Carrick, The Poor Scholer and Smyth's in Ballinamore and McMurphy's Mountain Tavern (formerly Doherty's).
    Honourable mentions to Stanford's in Dromahair, McGurl's in Ballinamore and Carty's Lock 17 in Leitrim (village).

Has anybody been in O'Briens bar in Mohill lately? They have had the coolest old wall murals painted by someone a couple of years ago. All based on some historical events that happened around Mohill etc. They really add to the place. Nice to see someone making an effort to make his premises more atmospheric. Worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 maggie797

i go to drumcoura city when I go home, its just down the road for me as well! Had my hen party there great craic and I was there for the new years party last year, great craic. some great pubs in ballinamore too, Priors was always an old favorite, Smyths is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

The Leitrim Inn & Lock 17 (Leitrim Village)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭rvd156

Smyths and Priors are great pubs and also Frank Flynns (Pat joes) and the poor scholar....As long as the pints are nice and your with the right people you will have great craic in most pubs in ballinamore bar a few....:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭VH

Dunne's in Carrick
    Does anyone remember this before Mr Maye turned it into a Super Pub?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭Frisian

Fowley's in Dromahair. A real old-fashioned pub with a great pint.
    I second that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

THE SWAN LAKE INN

i live 3/4 of a mile from kesh, and i would rather go the 3 miles up the road to club effernagh ,than sit with the "tycoons" in my own village,

the best pub in the county by a long shot

THE SWAN LAKE INN

i live 3/4 of a mile from kesh, and i would rather go the 3 miles up the road to club effernagh ,than sit with the "tycoons" in my own village,

the best pub in the county by a long shot

Is Gerties still going strong?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Oarsman in Carrick, helped greatly by the fact that they stock the award-winning Galway Hooker Pale Ale (which is brewed in Roscommon as it happens)

That Galway hooker is only average.I heard great things but when I tried it i was distinctly unimpressed.

That Galway hooker is only average.I heard great things but when I tried it i was distinctly unimpressed.

Haven't tried it but I just don't get ale. Apart from the very occasional pint of Smithwicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

GH has just won Irish Beer of the Year at the annual Irish Beer Festival in Cork, for the 2nd time.

I find it to be a lot nicer to the factory mass produced stuff like Heineken etc.

JHMEG wrote: »
    GH has just won Irish Beer of the Year at the annual Irish Beer Festival in Cork, for the 2nd time.

I find it to be a lot nicer to the factory mass produced stuff like Heineken etc.

Yeah, but you'd have to like ale to start with. I'll take your word on it:) Oarsman is a nice place though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hooleygan

Biddys bar in Manor is a cracker. The customers are all mad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

Gings is my local when I'm in Carrick, so I go there quite a bit.
    I like the old bar in Cryans for a pint too when I'm with a few friends and want a chat.

Oarsman is lovely, I love sitting beside the fire in winter with a glass of wine, whisky or hot chocolate! My bf like the selection of beers there too, and he's usually quite fussy!! Also think it's one of the only places in town that serves Kopparberg, so thats a plus for me!

The Boardwalk in the Landmark is lovely for cocktails, some of the best I've had in Ireland, the raspberry mojitos are amazing!! The Black mint bar is beautiful upstairs, but never really seems to be open after 10/11 on a Saturday, I think they do a lot of private functions there though, so that might be why.

Been into Armstrongs a few times for pints and it's pretty random, it's tiny with all the shoes and everything, but i like it, really different!

If I'm going to the cinema for a movie with friends, we usually visit the wine bar before hand and share a bottle of wine, they let us bring it into the screen to finish it too, it can make the film seem a little blurry though!!

I like the wine bar in the dock too, love the photos of all the local publicans on the walls!

Flynns can good for drinks at the weekends, but can get too packed sometimes.

I really like how the Swan is since they did it up, went there for a few events, parties etc, but never seem to go there for drinks, don't know why though, the smoking area is lovely with the little stove!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 TG859

any1 know the club house out by dromkieran i love that place :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭leitrim lad

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Is Gerties still going strong?

as far as i know ,i think the sh2t is starting to flow again now that the boom is over ,remember the 90s ,backwards parades, non excistent parades, sinking barges and so on

Advertisement