Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army Bargains

• 07-03-2008 9:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

I was in Army Bargains on Little Mary street Wednesday afternoon to have a look around when i noticed a chinese fella that worked there was following me around the shop.

I was over looking at the combats & he was standing there, so i went around the other side were the bush hats are & he followed me around there too at this point i was feeling very uncomfortable with him.

I wasnt there to rob, like i had €300 in my wallet, no wonder the place was empty if people are getting followed around the shop & cant relax & enjoy looking around.

I was afraid to pick anything up & look at it, thats the way he made me feel. I left the shop pissed off, the reason im putting it up here is to see if this has happened to anyone else in Army Bargains?

Its a good little shop a bit pricey with things, but good. But that dude pissed me off real bad, i felt like going back & askin him what he was playing at.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Next time you go there, eat a lot of beans and keep farting in his direction when he is following you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Should this not be in 'consumer issues'?.

Anyway, no its never happened to me in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

They've been doing that it there for years. Always made me feel dodgy, I rather having a wander around and ask for help if needed. They work like shops in US where the staff pester you as soon as you walk in the door.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Did it to me and some friends the other day and then a few young lads that come in. they left us alone and focused on them. Apparently they got alot of attempted thefts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

this happened to me but an irish person who worked there came over and was helpful after he heard me complaining about it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

I always get that,

I stare back the dude with a smile and say something 'how are ye? Are you alright yeah?'
    They usually back off like c90 said the irish guy comes over and tries to make you feel more welcome, as he has a bit more cop on to realise you're genuinely shopping

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The guy is just doing his job, I wouldn't take offence. It's a rough enough area and shoplifting is a make or break factor for small shops/businesses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

ha ha Army "Bargains"?! You must be joking, those lads would try sell ice to eskimos. Some lads came back from there with Plastic Mess tins.

Good for specialized gear, but expensive and they will try talk you into buying the shop.

For certain items I find Millets better and cheaper (And you still get your DF discount).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

I find the easiest way to avoid being followed is to say hi to the staff on your way in and look like you know exactly where you're going. They then get to know you and automatically deduct your discount. That said, army extortions would be a more appropriate name. Or civvy extortions, seeing as they sell very little army equiptment other than that which appeals to civvys. At least not halfway decent stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Bam Bam

They used to have a pretty sweet assault vest/chest rig, also they sold CLP break-free. Their tilly lamps and gas stoves are okay too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Beano7

i think the place is class, i got a full british DPM bdu and vest and boots for 140 euro,and a balaclava. and the reson they follow you is to ensure you wont rob em, i was there today ad a shop was robbed 3 doors away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Hagar wrote: »
    The guy is just doing his job, I wouldn't take offence. It's a rough enough area and shoplifting is a make or break factor for small shops/businesses.

Back in the day I worked a stones throw across the way in Millets on Mary Street and then to the Outdoor Adventure Store on liffey street and shoplifting was a major problem in both areas. The amount of chancers that you'd get trying to lift something, anything at all was unreal. The guys just doing his job, unfortunately it comes with the territory when your dealing with stoned ejits coming in and asking "de ye have any of yizzer strangle wires bud?" (having mistaken a wire saw and a poor one at that for a garotte) on an average Saturday and then trying to make off with cammo cream, a kendal mint cake and a balaclava. Or the ones that come in and ask "schtorrreee, any columbian jackehs?" - instant shoplifter alert! Just a case of latching onto someone and following them until you'd made your mind as to whether they were a potential thief. Nothing worse than having the boss laying into over missing stock.

Having said that, I can't think of a reason to get anything out of AB, its mainly ex brit dpm which i can get cheaper at home (up north and my local surplus store does a good selection of german pattern waterproofs )and their boots are nothing special. When working in the aforementioned stores I used to deal a fair bit with PDF and RDF on sundays as AB was closed and they were after boots or something. I also developed an addiction to cost price outdoor gear which is problematic, now that i'm no longer working there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

I bought a Wynnster Snug Jacket (yeah I never heard of 'em either) for around 55 euro last year. I swear by it, its tough as old boots. Also got a reversible green/black undershirt shirt here for the same price. 2 great peices of kit. Saved a fortune on misc. bits of kit compared to the prices some highwaymen charge (e.g. that bandit in the Curragh)

Hard Larry wrote: »
    I bought a Wynnster Snug Jacket (yeah I never heard of 'em either) for around 55 euro last year. I swear by it, its tough as old boots. Also got a reversible green/black undershirt shirt here for the same price. 2 great peices of kit. Saved a fortune on misc. bits of kit compared to the prices some highwaymen charge (e.g. that bandit in the Curragh)

Wynnster would be pretty well known at the budget end of the spectrum in the UK - say on par with regatta/gelert. Distributions been poor in ireland as Gelert have most of the budget market captured.

neilled wrote: »
    Having said that, I can't think of a reason to get anything out of AB, its mainly ex brit dpm which i can get cheaper at home (up north and my local surplus store does a good selection of german pattern waterproofs )and their boots are nothing special. When working in the aforementioned stores I used to deal a fair bit with PDF and RDF on sundays as AB was closed and they were after boots or something. I also developed an addiction to cost price outdoor gear which is problematic, now that i'm no longer working there!

thats not true, they have loads of camo patters there and are way better priced then anywhere i saw anyway

Beano7 wrote: »
    thats not true, they have loads of camo patters there and are way better priced then anywhere i saw anyway

Read my post carefully - I stated that my home is up north where there's a plentiful supply of ex brit and german dpm in combats as well as goretex waterproofs. Trust me Beano, I worked across the street and knew what they sold. OK, it might be a useful place for an airsofter, but realistically if you were looking for outdoor gear you'd go somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭johnl

up north and my local surplus store does a good selection of german pattern waterproofs
    Where is your local surplus store up North?
    My family are from there, and I tend to head up from time to time.

Read my post carefully - I stated that my home is up north where there's a plentiful supply of ex brit and german dpm in combats as well as goretex waterproofs. Trust me Beano, I worked across the street and knew what they sold. OK, it might be a useful place for an airsofter, but realistically if you were looking for outdoor gear you'd go somewhere else.

i just mean for airsoft, i go airsofting every week

johnl wrote: »
    Where is your local surplus store up North?
    My family are from there, and I tend to head up from time to time.

There are any number of them and a heck of alot cheaper than the ones down south due to the larger supply of soldiers wanting to be rid of kit etc and direct access to surplus, whereas if your buying it down south the shop has probably went through a middle man to get what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Beano7 wrote: »
    i think the place is class, i got a full british DPM bdu and vest and boots for 140 euro,and a balaclava.

Did Sinn Féin reimburse you for that at all?!! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

GO AWAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

segaBOY wrote: »

:D:D

iceage wrote: »
    GO AWAY!

Yes Sir, it's only a joke Sir. :D

Apologies for that.. knee jerk reaction.. I'm sure you understand. ;)

Don't call me Sir, I work for a living :P

iceage wrote: »
    Apologies for that.. knee jerk reaction.. I'm sure you understand. ;)

Don't call me Sir, I work for a living :P

You must be a barrel of laughs at a comedy gig :o Right back to topic in hand!!

I don't find army bargains all that great tbh, not briliant quality in anything. The old army surplus shop in daunt square in Cork was good-think it's gone now tho

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Skyhawk1990

As far as i know there's a surplus shop around Cobh but I'm open to correction on that cause I was told that about that a year or two ago.

Expensive but it's a grand shop. I saw a pair of boots that I had there for about 140, but got them in protac for 99. Crazy!

segaBOY wrote: »

i actualy totaly agree, i look like a IRA recruit!:D

GO AWAY!! MkII.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

c-90 wrote: »
    this happened to me but an irish person who worked there came over and was helpful after he heard me complaining about it

This was the same with myself. Shop is also pricey just to let people know.

• Advertisement

Place in Middleton in Cork is supposed to be good, never been there myself but a mate of mine has picked up some really decent gear there at reasonable prices.

kind of place that makes you call back if you know what I mean.

Advertisement