Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google indexing sitemap

Options
  • 07-03-2008 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭

hi,

i have created html and text and xml sitemaps that i have linked from the bottom of each page so as its very easy for search engines to spider. however now i see that those pages are indexed (when i search in google the actual domain.com/sitemap.xml is in result set).
    is there any way i can specify that i want the spider to follow that link (and therefore visit all pages on my site) BUT not to index the actual sitemap pages ?

tnx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

????????????
    Did you try submiting the sitemap.xml to Google Webmaster Account?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ianhobo

You probably don't want to block indexing of your sitemap page. After all, the main reason you most likely but it there was to aid indexing. It is the one page which centrally links all other pages in your website.

Just because your other pages aren't showing in google results doesn't mean they haven't been indexed, they probably have, but given that your site is new google may not have assigned any value to the pages to this. The easiest way for them to solve this is to give the user your site map - a list of all your pages, and let the user select the page they want there by letting the user value the pages for google.

Its common for new sites to only have one page listed for results, despite differing search terms

Advertisement