Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi TT Quattro 225

Options
  • 07-03-2008 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

I am in a bit of bind I have found two audi tts i am interested in mainly based
    on looks and accessories. One is a Audi tt quattro 225 coupe the other is Audi tt 1.8 coupe
    how much of a step up is the 225 as regard performance. I want to see does it justify spending an extra 1,500 on the quattro and larger bhp + obviously the higher insurance premium. Also in general how bad are the tts in relation to petrol consumption for both models??

thks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If both cars are bog standard, and in equal condition, it's all down to value for money. If you're stretched to buy either, then the 180 is a fine car - I've had 2, and it's moot whether you 140mph vs 148mph (or whatever......) Both can get you 12 points, big fine, and a long ban.......:p

If, however, there is a bit of latitude on the money front, it's all down to which is the best actual car, in terms of condition, colour etc etc.

Insurance - check it out. AFAIK, both are the same insurance - but - it wasn't always so - there used to be a big difference between the two. I think Hibernian did away with the difference (because in the UK they rated them the same anyway.....), but do check.

Fuel, etc? Well, the 180 should return around 31mpg most of the time, and better in a trip, the 225 marginally worse, maybe 28mpg. However, the 225 is more often to be found tuned, than the 180, so a tuned can be.........quite bad! There's one outside my window, remapped to 270, and it does about 21mpg.

Servicing etc, is the same on both, essentially. Tax is the same.

Have a look HERE at the TT forum for lots of good info - and, if you're buying from the UK, I advise getting the car inspected - there's a guy on there (WAK), who inspects TT's for a living, and I've used him - very good. His site is HERE

Do remember, though, that a lot of TT's have.......'issues' - coils, MAF's, Dashpods(clocks), at least 3 suspension recalls (iirc...), and so if you're paying good money, make sure it has had all issues attended to, otherwise budget to have them fixed. And not cheaply, either.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would look for quattro regardless of bhp. I had a 180 bhp quattro. brilliant car. Just be prepared to spend your time avoiding potholes, manhole covers etc. Its the first car ive had which didnt wear wishbones very fast which I assume is down to the quattro. And before anyone replies, I know the rear wheels are not permanently driven but it certainly takes the pressure from the front in alot of hard acceleration situations

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

It did'nt wear wishbones because it has Strut front suspension!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ocallaghanpaddy

I'm selling this if your interested (please ignore the darkness!!!)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/TT/180bhp-Quattro/949586/

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

I have the 180 bhp.....as far as I know all models except for the 150 bhp models they brought out towards the end of the mark 1 version were quattro...certainly the 180 I own is (a 1999, very early model).

As the previous poster mentioned I would go for the better suited model in terms of condition, colour, etc rather than worriing about the 180 or 225 bhp, both are a lot of fun.

I have no connection to ocallaghanpaddy but his car looks excellent, well worth a look, just check that the timing belt was done (should be done around 50K or 5 years). If not you should have some scope for negioation as it can be a pricy job, espically if you go through a main dealer.

good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 ocallaghanpaddy

Thanks Bruce! Timeing Belt was done at around 40K. They are a good car to live with but you must remember that the back seats are unuseable so be prepaired. i.e. don't ever ever have kids!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭bruce wayne

Back seats are useless, other than somewhere to place your coat ;0)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭sonners

Back seats are somewhat useable, I've fitted 2 adults in mine, they were'nt at all comfortable but they got home :D

Children are actually easier to transport in them, I regularly have my niece and nephew (3 and 10) in mine and they fit fine. My niece (3) even has a bumber seat which fits in too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

All old style TTs were quattros in Europe, bar the 150 bhp Cabrio model.

Thanks Bruce! Timeing Belt was done at around 40K. They are a good car to live with but you must remember that the back seats are unuseable so be prepaired. i.e. don't ever ever have kids!!!! :)

Sorry, but +1 for sonners on this - the TT is no problem for kids. They fit the small seats, and a bit of a search will find you a babysit or booster that fits the back, no probs.

It's when they get bigger you need something more sensible. Like my sig car :D

All Mk1's up to the introduction of Tiptronic on the 1.8's in this country are Quattro, irrespective of 180 or 225.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I'm selling this if your interested (please ignore the darkness!!!)

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/TT/180bhp-Quattro/949586/

Nice - I like the grey interior - makes change from all the black ones out there. Only one thing worse - have you seen blue interior ?? OMG ! :eek:

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement