Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

glanza-s

• 07-03-2008 11:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

yo again if i was to maybe supercharge a glanza s or chip or some crazy sh*t like that i culd have a powerful car with cheap insurance basically i want a glanza s with the power of a turbo to piss all over a v this is possible maybe??? ideas:D or maybe putting a turbo into a 1.4 quicksilver 106 pug p.s waiting for my ncb to build up is not an option & money is no object:Dthanks again any ideas or advice welcome:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

first of all dude, its a huge job supercharging or turbocharhing something that wasnt meant for it. you would have to uprate the internals of the engine, and run it on standalone management. not to mention sourcing the parts you need for it. by the time you get the internals forged, buy a turbo/supercharger kit, get it mapped with the ecu, you will have spent ridiculous amounts of money on something that will blow up. would you not be better spending it on insurance on a reliable faster car as standard??

also, if you bolt a turbo onto a car, and dont tell the insurance, you might aswel be insuring a glanza turbo as a non turbo. if youre that worried about your ncb, buy a 106 quickie, or saxo 1.4 vtr, drive it for a while and wait til youre old enuf to insure the car you want. have you tried transferring your policy onto another car yet? nowhere would quote me on a glanza v, but it only cost me 50 quid to transfer my policy over from my saxo vtr onto one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

any modifications that increase the power of your car that are not declared to the insurance will void your insurance, especially chipping and especially turbo or super charging!!

p-nuts advice is spot on, what your talking about doing is fairly stupid to be honest, the car will cost a fortune to make and if not done to the highest standards will not last long.

as young people we all had to do our stint in slow cars to build up our ncb, its part of maturing as a driver too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭pecker1992

i dunno dude its a long shot i read somewhere that u can take the supercharger from a mini cooper s and with maybe a grand or 2 have it functioning in another car different story man i will tell them about it but it will be after i insure it so by the time the next renewal comes round id have a full licsesnce as opposed to my learners permit it supercharger and chip id b talking bout really rather than a turbocharger id say bout 2000 maybe 2500 then again i dont go to collage i work constantly so id probably afford it i jst aint gettin raped by insurance man if i wanted i could change to a vtr 4 free man if i wanted i woz gonna at one stage.....

well why dont you see how much it would be to change to a glanza turbo then?? wouldnt be too much more i'd imagine. lad, its more hassle than its worth supercharging a car, a chip would be handy enough, but i wouldnt expect phenominal gains with one on a 1.3 starlet or a 1.4 saxo/106. either just spend the 2k you would supercharging it on insurance, or just wait til you can insure it for a reasonable price

you make a good point p-nut but all the glanza v drivers in my town use the 1.3 log book scam crap id just love 2 show them that u actually can get better cars and with a bit of modification piss all over them and their skanger attitude if u get my drift i am in a confusing situation at the moment u ever drive a superchared b4??

• Advertisement

na i've never driven a supercharged car before, prefer the high revving na cars myself. why do you ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭dfer

I agree, i'd prefare low to mid engine boost compared to top end boost, because to be honest your not going to be going over 120 on crappy greasy Irish roads imo! And also SC are alot harder to come by. People seem to be Turbo'in everything these days.

I was thinking of buy a Jackson Racing Supercharger for a sir civic but they are dammed expensive and take a bit of dyno tuning to get max potential. And i was also worried about the vtec crossover point with the SC on?!

I might turbo a ride on lawnmower seein as everyone loves turbos with this whole fast and furious generation!! lol 15 Psi tttiiisssshhh ..... BOV!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

a far better thing to do would be to buy a Glanza and change it to look like a 1.3 Irish model (no alloys, standard bumpers etc.) and then be able to keep up with the other Glanzas!

colm_mcm wrote: »
    a far better thing to do would be to buy a Glanza and change it to look like a 1.3 Irish model (no alloys, standard bumpers etc.) and then be able to keep up with the other Glanzas!

i like your thinking but ok everybody say i did do everything im talking bout what would be a quicker car supercharged glanza or turbo glanza???:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭KidCapree

its a little sad to spend all that money on trying to impress other people to be honest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

why not get something other than a Glanza?

surercharged vs turbo is a silly argument.
    It's a bit like asking if a diesel Passat is faster than a petrol Passat.
    Depends on how much money you want to waste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Have to agree with the post above!

There are plenty of cars that would out do a glanza no problem.

Like come on its turbo charged and the best it can do its around 160 bhp (top of my head) which some other 1.3 car can do no problem without a turbo.

Even if you move up too a 1.4.

End of the day it depends on alot of things and also you must remember that it is a road car not a track car, and made for road use. So you should not race or rally the **** out of it, as you will find yourself in trouble or injured.

As you said, they look like fools, so why make yourself look like bigger fool? Racing around in a car that is better but has no style ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

I told p-nut to do that one of the first day he got his glanza, well without the illegal logbook thing just for sleeper effect

take a look at the starlet gi if youre looking for more performance, theyre lighter with the same 4efte dohc engine as the s but doesnt have air con etc weighing it down prob cheaper insurance and rarer too

woop wrote: »
    I told p-nut to do that one of the first day he got his glanza, well without the illegal logbook thing just for sleeper effect

take a look at the starlet gi if youre looking for more performance, theyre lighter with the same 4efte dohc engine as the s but doesnt have air con etc weighing it down prob cheaper insurance and rarer too

yeah and believe it or not but the gi is actually more powerful as standard aswel. the starlet gi was quoted to be 100bhp from the factory, and the glanza-s was quoted to be somewhere around 75bhp(i think). Another good car would be the vw polo 1.4 16v, also 100bhp from factory, with the added bonus of being a vw when it comes to resale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

my advice is go for this

peugeot 106 - serise 1 ( 1991 - 1997 ) and stick in a 1.6-1.9 205 engine

OR

diahatsu Charade 1.0 turbo or 1.3 gti - replace with a 1.5 - 1.6 GTI-R charade engine.... with with a short first and second and a longer 3rd you will beat stock subaru impreza in a 1/4 if thats to your liking ??

either way you can't go around , also glanzas arent insureable unless your second driver Or insure it under a company ( or just dont insure like most of them )

tuning is simple , need any more advice just ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Rotrex superchargers mate - They can be fitted to most cars, check out there website and give them a call...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Welsh Wizard

Or just buy my car.. €4,000
    IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

Oh ok are we all selling our cars - I've my t-bar non turbo mr2 for sale -€2500 if anyone wants it:D:rolleyes:

Or just buy my car.. €4,000
    IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0320.jpg
    IMG_0208.jpg

dont sell your car jay, you know you will regret it!! how many clean r5 turbo raiders do you know of knocking around?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

That looks very clean!

Links to the advert? Is it stock? Looks like you've lowered teh suspension. How much would VRT be?

• Advertisement

vw polo 1.4 16v,

yes you could insure that or if you had the money a arosa sport with the same engine, but if you like youre looks etc, i suppose it wouldnt be beefy enough but youd have little probs with insurance and youd have youre bita power

I feckn love that raider, seen a clio williams in the flesh there the other day didnt think id like it as much as I did

That looks very clean!

Links to the advert? Is it stock? Looks like you've lowered teh suspension. How much would VRT be?

Unfortantly it isn't stock... Many up-rated parts such as Clutch, Turbo, Carb, head gasket, Exhaust.

The suspension is lowered, but you'll see in i think the second pic that I raised it up a bit as it was too low, so whilst raising it i softened up the ride also..

Always wanted one... and becoming a rare sight nowa days..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

p-nut wrote: »
    dont sell your car jay, you know you will regret it!! how many clean r5 turbo raiders do you know of knocking around?
    And you should sell it to an enthusiast who will look after it properly, not someone who will roof it in half an hour!!:p

And you should sell it to an enthusiast who will look after it properly, not someone who will roof it in half an hour!!:p

Hopefully will do, then I'll know she'll be looked after, might get a couple of more quid for it..
    Pity I lost the keys for it on Saturday though...:rolleyes:

:eek::eek::eek:

Well it's like this, I drove it out to my work on Saturday to leave it there till tonight as I was going to watch the match.
    I know I had them on Sunday in the house somewhere but can't remember where...
    They'll turn up somewhere.. Hopefully.

Hopefully will do, then I'll know she'll be looked after, might get a couple of more quid for it..

Found 'em... Had left them in a friends car... Phew..!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

imo , i wouldnt touch a R5 with a barge pole for the same reason you wouldnt buy a range rover or bmw 5 serise.

the best choice is still either a pug 106 (though these can easily be made " Pugly ) or a little AX ( does anyone remember them or am i the only retro tuner here ?? )

butthats just my 2p

----

nom nom nom :pac:

i wouldnt touch a R5 with a barge pole for the same reason you wouldnt buy a range rover or bmw 5 serise.

and why is this?

*sits back*

• Advertisement

woop wrote: »
    and why is this?

*sits back*

id say he's lookin to start an arguement, dont humour him:p

id say he's lookin to start an arguement, dont humour him

but its soooo tempting!

id say he's lookin to start an arguement, dont humour him:p

:D:D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

R5 turbo has to be one of the cars u MUST own, mate an AX are u serious, i mean is there an uglier car out there?

FearDark wrote: »
    R5 turbo has to be one of the cars u MUST own, mate an AX are u serious, i mean is there an uglier car out there?

Thanks Fear,
    Clearly you know more than some people out there..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

wizard i like it alot very nice very clean but dont you think its time for a big boys car??? and as for the ax y would you even look twice!lol.
    but wat really wanna know is why no a 5 series???

• Advertisement

stecleary wrote: »
    wizard i like it alot very nice very clean but dont you think its time for a big boys car??? ??

True, Currently looking at a '03 Focus RS... This being the second car I've once wanted to own..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Modding a standard car in these ways (adding turbos etc) will also hit you in the pocket when it comes to sell the car on. Id try to be patient, get a few years under you belt and get something better then. So what if others a roaring around with Glanza V's. They are probably jealous of the guys in the Imprezas and B4's etc. Accept that no matter what you have, there will always be someone with a faster car. (Unless you have a Veyron in your driveway of course. :))

There are ways to extract fun from low power cars also, so dont get hung up on 0-60 times. My 1st car (Fiesta, 75bhp) was great fun on the right roads.

by the way pecker i take it you got rid of your lunch box!!!! sorry i mean corsa

I'd have that R5 off ya if I had the money!! absolutely stunning car.

Dont mind S.I.R, anyone that reccomends an AX clearly has no taste! :rolleyes:

eh think pecker got banned...........feel kinda bad, I defended his liking of his car:confused:

what was I thinking

• Advertisement

ah well he shoulnt have been such a winge about peps not likin his car!!! sure i jst wanted to get him goin again about been mr big and askin if we know who he is!!!!lol

Searched through the thread.... Pecker...?:confused:

pecker1992 he started the thread!! read the thread "my corsa... check it out" funny readin!!!

draffodx wrote: »
    I'd have that R5 off ya if I had the money!! absolutely stunning car.

Dont mind S.I.R, anyone that reccomends an AX clearly has no taste! :rolleyes:

i dunno now dude, i quite like ax's, only the gt/gti models tho. they're a cool little car, and drop the 1.6 16v outta my saxo into one and they're a little rocket;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Saab 93 turbo + some tweaks (bigger turbo, supporting mods,e85,remap )

if only it was rwd

That looks very clean!

VRT is E317
    here you go...
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=49871

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

favourite car since childhood... so so tempted...

Same here, Ever since one past me whilst i waited for a bus in the early 90's I've always wanted one.
    My brother also had a pearlscent white one.. which just added to the addiction of having to have one..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭DARCHA22

pecker1992 wrote: »
    you make a good point p-nut but all the glanza v drivers in my town use the 1.3 log book scam crap b4??

there is no such thing,

a log book never specifies if a car is turbo or non turbo.

IT IS FOR TAX PURPOSES ONLY, the log book has nothin to do with insurance.

I AM SELLING A GLANZA V, 97 white, sunroof, mods etc. may px

i dunno now dude, i quite like ax's, only the gt/gti models tho. they're a cool little car, and drop the 1.6 16v outta my saxo into one and they're a little rocket;)

tut you have no taste p-nut :p:p:p

joking, yeh the ax is a quirky care but i still dont like it, other cars you could stick the 1600cc engine into that would be better :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement