Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To diesel or not Diesel?

Options
  • 07-03-2008 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭

HI,
    I am trying to buy a second hand small hatch back car at the moment. One of the reasons why I was getting a small car was fuel efficiency and cost.

The Diesal TDI seem to get by far the best fuel efficiency. So what's the catch? is it just a simple case, they'll cost more?

Will you save that money only if you do a lot of miles?

Comments welcomed...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Best economy is "usually" diesel-automatic combo in a newish car.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Fuel economy is as much about how you drive as the engine itself IMHO.

For example, I recently drove a petrol 1.6 and got 400 miles to the tank.

I have since bought a 1.9 TD and on my first tank got over 500 miles to the tank (same size tank as the 1.6 as far as I can recall) but recently got just over 400 :eek:

Quoted figures from the 1.9 TD are 40+ (officially and anecdotally), so something ain't right and I'm betting it's largely down to me 'showing off' in the more powerful new car-since I have learned how to monitor my MPG via the trip computer, I am gradully adjusting my driving habits. In time I expect I will drive the diesel less aggesively and benefit from the potential fuel economies that the engine offers. (There is also an issue with EGR valves on the Alfa JTD that can cause fuel economy and power problems, but as the power seems fine, I don't think this is the issue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

HI,
    I am trying to buy a second hand small hatch back car at the moment. One of the reasons why I was getting a small car was fuel efficiency and cost.

The Diesal TDI seem to get by far the best fuel efficiency. So what's the catch? is it just a simple case, they'll cost more?

Will you save that money only if you do a lot of miles?

Comments welcomed...

You need to work out your current running costs including miles per gallon and approximate depreciation and also the same on the Diesel in question, then you'll know if it's worth while.
    There's no point in spending €10,000 to "upgrade" to a diesel car only to save yourself a fiver a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Putting it simply:

Diesels cost more to buy, but usually hold their value better, so one cancels out the other.

Diesels do require slightly more frequent service intervals, but are generally more reliable in the long run.

If you are buying a pre-2008, car then Diesels and petrols cost the same to tax.

Insurance is usually the same on petrol & diesels.

You will usually get better MPG on diesels, but the cost of diesel is increasing at the pumps. If this trend continues, the MPG advantage will also be gone...

Although, with the change in VRT rules, there should be a notable increase in the number of diesel cars on the road. This will tighten the balance between petrol & diesel cars and hopefully bring the price of fuels closer together at the pumps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

The new breed turbo diesels with direct injection are often more rewarding to drive that their petrol equvilant.
    Large torque figures mean more oomph when accelerating.
    You have to drive one for yourself to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

prospect wrote: »
    Putting it simply:

Diesels cost more to buy, but usually hold their value better, so one cancels out the other.

Diesels do require slightly more frequent service intervals, but are generally more reliable in the long run.

If you are buying a pre-2008, car then Diesels and petrols cost the same to tax.

Insurance is usually the same on petrol & diesels.

You will usually get better MPG on diesels, but the cost of diesel is increasing at the pumps. If this trend continues, the MPG advantage will also be gone...

Although, with the change in VRT rules, there should be a notable increase in the number of diesel cars on the road. This will tighten the balance between petrol & diesel cars and hopefully bring the price of fuels closer together at the pumps.

What about if I buy a diesal up the north this year and register it for vat this year? What happens then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭fabsoul

prospect wrote: »

Not true any more. most of the new diesels cars would be 15k to 20K service intervals.

Advertisement