Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PCI Graphics card?!

Options
  • 07-03-2008 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Ok, so having established that I have a crappy computer, I want to make it just a little bit better, but as the motherboard is crappy, I have no AGP or PCI-E slot for a gfx card.

So, within the small range of PCI cards, I'm looking for people so suggest what is the best one I can get?

The model of my machine (i painstakingly found out) is a packard bell imedia 1418, you'll see what I mean when you check the specs!

I just want to use it to play World of Warcraft, so I just need it to run a bit more smoothly than how it is currently running.

Also, its rather loud, only one on-board fan for the heat-sink, could it be the PSU?

I'm still a n00b, go easy on me!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

PCI cards are a lot slower then their AGP/PCI-e counterparts, and obviously the best PCI card available is still painfully slow in comparison to even a low end card from either of the other formats.

The prices are also ludicrious, and totally uneconomical. My suggestion would be to look for a PCI card on either Ebay or adverts.ie - 20-30 euro should net you something adequate for WOW, which is fairly hardware friendly. Aim for an Fx5200 class card.

Otherwise, this isn't too bad from Komplett. As I said, there are better PCI cards out there, but the prices are so high I couldn't justify recommending them to anyone (looking at about 200% the price of the pci-e counterpart, with about a mere 50% of the performance).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

From looking at the spec on the PB website it shows a pic of the motherboard. It looks like it has a 1x and 4x pciE slot. Perhaps you could get a 4x card or mod the slot to accept a 16x card...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In that case you should be able to use the 4x slot for a 16x card, if its open ended straight off the bat, if not you should be able to mod it. Even a 40 euro budget pci-e card will absolutely destroy any current pci card available performance wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Smiley012

oh so it looks like i could use a PCI-E? I was told by a computer shop i took it down to told me that it was pci only, so i'm confused!!

can anyone suggest the best card to buy from seeing the specs? iMedia 1418, will post link later on.

Here's the link http://support.packardbell.com/uk/item/index.php?i=spec_callisto2gv&ppn=PB34207601
    I could be wrong but that looks like 1x and 4x pciE slots...

• Advertisement

Well as far as I can see, I can only see two slots at top left side of the mobo, so whatever they are, I need to be able to fit a gfx card into one of them :) thanks for the help by the way guys...

my WoW runs very slowly and jittery and just looking for something to make it run a bit smoother!

The white slots in the top left are normal 32bit pci slots.
    It's the brown ones to the right I'm referring to.

oh really? the small brown ones to the right of the pci slots? cool, i have no idea what they are! i need to get hardware lessons... desperately.

Don't let their size fool you ;)

ha! brilliant.

so do we know what smiley should buy? if smiley is told, smiley will buy.

• Advertisement

There's lots of people in a similar position to you after buying a cheap Dell server a few months ago. They have a discussion in the tweaking/modding forum regarding what card to get and how to modify the 4x slot.
    Have a read..
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055196950

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

Once modified.. you should buy a cheap graphics card as the computer is barely worth upgrading anyway to something such as:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=332301

As for the sound problem... open up the computer and find the source of the sound.

Advertisement