Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Perlico Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 07-03-2008 11:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Hi,

New to this forum but just wanted to ask a question about Perlico Broadband. My OH's aunt got the wireless router from them at christmas but we've only had a chance to try set it up for her now. At first there was a fiasco about the password and username to set it up (as in, they never sent it to her, then she rang to get it and was twice given the wrong password, finally got it off them correctly then:rolleyes:)

So I went out to set it up as wireless (on first set up you have to use ethernet), that all went fine. She had an adaptor from argos that was easy enough to set up as wireless, I set up the WEP key and everything was connected no problems. Downloaded some programs for her like Adaware.

Restarted the computer with just the wireless adaptor (ie no ethernet) and it worked fine. This was all out in her kitchen I should say as we needed to plug in the phone and modem at the same time. I then moved the pc into the room where it was staying, turned it on, it connected to the net - although connection speed said 'very good' instead of 'excellent' like it did in the kitchen. But no access to the internet! I could get onto the router config page (198.160.1.1 i think) but it would not let either internet explorer or mozilla get online. I tried everything to get it working, changing the security settings, turning off the WEP key, everything. But on fairness I shouldn't have had to do this at all since it was working on the same settings 20 ft away from where I originally had it set up..

Has anyone got any idea how to resolve this? I can't understand how it would work in one room and not in the other, plus it says it connected so whats the problem?! :mad:

Sorry for the long post! :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

Don't mean to be smart or anything - but have you connected it to the phone line?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Croc

It seems like the issue is with the internet connecting to the router and u describe plugging in the phone and modem at the same time (not quite clear) but it seems like you had the phone unplugged the first time it worked before u moved the computer. If this is the case have you put dsl filters on each phone socket ??

• Registered Users Posts: 41 23Skidoo

OK yeah probably should have clarified. :o

On first set up of the modem (ZyXel I think its called) both the phone and the modem were plugged in using the DSL filters. The ethernet cable was also connected from the PC to the modem (i've not had to do this with any other ISP but its in the perlico instructions). So the first time we accessed the net it was wired access. Then you set it up to enable wireless access on the router config screen. Plugged in the wireless adaptor and had it configured with the right WEP key. Unplugged the ethernet cable and had the internet working solely on the wireless, with the modem still connected to the phone line (obviously :))

I restarted the computer at that stage just to make sure that once the adaptor was plugged in when the modem and machine were powered up, the connection would be establised straight away. This worked grand while the pc was in the kitchen. Every thing else was still plugged in as before, eg phone and modem plugged in with DSL.

Then moved the pc back into the spare room (without unplugging anything except the power cables and monitor - ie wireless adaptor was still in the same port and all). Turned it on, it showed that it was connected to the net but could not access any websites.

Does that make more sense? Sorry for the confusion!

Any idea what model of ZyXel its is,

But irrespective there should be a dsl sync light on the front is it a steady green color ????

There is also possibly ones for Internet & Wireless they should be flashing green lights

Is this the case ????

• Registered Users Posts: 41 23Skidoo

yeah they were all green. The internet one started to go red after a while but it was like that when it was working in the kitchen anyway iykwim

• Advertisement

23Skidoo wrote: »
    yeah they were all green. The internet one started to go red after a while but it was like that when it was working in the kitchen anyway iykwim

That going red would indicate to me that there is a problem with the internet coming into the router. Hence you being able to connect to the router but no internet access.

The Wireless light green indicates the router is broadcasting a wireless signal, which the computer is picking up, hence you can log into the router.

The green light on the dsl light indicates there is a connection to the exchange (i.e.) the router is syncing.

For some reason there seems to be a problem with the internet accessing the router i think thats where u need to start. Is it possible to connect a laptop to the router directly by network cable to see if my assumptions are correct.

If it can't get access to the internet then its defiantly a problem with the internet accessing the router i.e. something u did to the router.

There should be a reset button on it which would undo all that and reset it to the setting u had when it was delivered

Advertisement