Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - invisible files

• 07-03-2008 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭

I used msn messenger to save some zip files to a directory in c:\program files and then clicked on the open link which opened them with the 7-zip program. I extracted the contents of the zip to the same directory.

The files are invisible in windows explorer, even using search. They also can't be seen navigating through dos prompt, and a search doesnt reveal them either. Windows explorer is set to classic view, dont hide system files. I can still enter c: in the 7-zip address bar and navigate directly to the files. Any ideas what might be happening?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

My guess is you unzipped them to somewhere else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

My guess is you unzipped them to somewhere else.

I didn't - like I said I can use 7-zip to navigate to the files by typing in c:\ and traversing the directories as I would with explorer. 7-zip sees them in the expected location. Explorer doesn't.

Update: I extracted the zips again to c:\temp and copied them from there to the program files folder. That works. Still dont understand why explorer wont see files that 7-zip can clearly see.

Further update: windows refused to let me delete the directory containing the disputed files if 7-zip was browsing that directory at the time, proving 7-zip was looking at the same directory as windows explorer

Try it again but run 7-zip as administrator. I'm guessing permissions. Program files is protected by UAC in vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Is it something to do with the UAC not allowing you to unzip to program files?

Foiled!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭squibs

Could be down to the UAC alright - would have expected an error message from 7-zip though. Instead, it completes and shows me the files that only it can see.

• Advertisement

There is a holding area it puts them then. I've seen it before but don't remember the path. It's like a virtual/mapped program files folder for programs that don't have permission. Get the properties of the extracted files 7-zip shows you to see the path.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

C:/Users/ ?

C:/Users/Appdata or C:/Progdata

-something like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

Aha .... had exactly the same issue last night , I downloaded some template files for open office and when I unzipped them I could not find them using search or explorer , they were unzipped to the templates directory for open office.

Explorer would not show the files no matter what , it was like I was looking at an empty directory , yet when I went into office and navigated to the templates directory there they were !!

A bug or a twisted security feature maybe ?

Ok, found the link to what I was trying to explain above;

Your extracted files are most likely here-

c:\users\%username%\Appdata\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\....

Link

• Advertisement
Advertisement