Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league draw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Like the 1996 cup final all over again

CANTONA!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

Chelsea and United really do have a great draw for the Quarters anyway

Im predicting a Liverpool Schalke FINAL!!!Ive gone MAD :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is that the massive GULF where Arsenal only drew 1-1 at Anfield in the legaue this season and were destroyed 4-1 last season in the league.

Oh but your going to come back with the 6-3 carling cup game, where both teams played mostly back up players, or the 3-1 FA Cup game where Carra made a mistake at 2-1 when liverpool where coming back into the game, that left Henry one on one with Jerzy Dudek.

Actually I'm going to come back with the fact that Arsenal totally dominated Liverpool in the game that finished 1-1, where their football was acclaimed even by Liverpool fans, and the fact they are currently gunning for the Premiership title whereas Liverpool are scrapping with Everton for fourth place.

To me that IS a massive gulf and I think if you compare the quality of the two teams there is no contest.

I'm prepared to eat humble pie if Rafa and his men get the win. Don't think I'll need to however. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

All i will say is that it will no be a blood and guts English Premier League game with a European ref in charge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭elbow316

Is that the massive GULF where Arsenal only drew 1-1 at Anfield in the legaue this season and were destroyed 4-1 last season in the league.

Oh but your going to come back with the 6-3 carling cup game, where both teams played mostly back up players, or the 3-1 FA Cup game where Carra made a mistake at 2-1 when liverpool where coming back into the game, that left Henry one on one with Jerzy Dudek.

You seem to have forgotten the first league game last season, where we walked over you 3:0.

Liverpool's luck just ran out.

• Advertisement

Unearthly wrote: »
    CANTONA!!!!!!!!!!!

Yea at least this time Liverpool players will not wear a cream suit.

I think UEFA are hoping this will not happen. But then again those Moscow cops will not take any crap from thug fans supporting either team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

there is no massive gulf between arsenal and liverpool, liverpool and arsenals away records in the league are identical with liverpool having drawn something like 6 matches at anfield to arsenals 2.

liverpool finished 16 points clear of arsenal two seasons ago and ahead of them again last year yet arsenal knocked them out of both cups at anfield.

having said that arsenal will be hot favourites to progress based on the AC Milan result and performance, their league position and the fact they won so easily against liverpool in both cups last year

is fate playing a role in this years champions league
    2004/5 AC milan vs Liverpool = Liverpool
    2005/6 Barcelona vs Arsenal = Barcelona
    2006/7 Ac Milan vs Liverpool = Ac Milan
    2007/8 Barcelona vs Arsenal = Arsenal??????

elbow316 wrote: »
    You seem to have forgotten the first league game last season, where we walked over you 3:0.

Ahh well glad Liverpool got another English team will go into the game as underdogs in a lose lose situation.

Lose the game Liverpool are not as good as Arsenal
    Win the game ahh they were just lucky

brilliant now the liverpool and arsenal fans can be at each others throats in here for a change!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Im suprised at people thinking Roma is an easy draw. United have struggled against in 3 of the 4 games we played them in over the last two seasons. Last time out they looked to have improved considerably and with the history between the clubs it will make for a fiery contest.

Liverpool were in fact the only team I would worry about playing. They defy all laws of logic, physics etc in the champions league!

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    there is no massive gulf between arsenal and liverpool, liverpool and arsenals away records in the league are identical with liverpool having drawn something like 6 matches at anfield to arsenals 2.

I'm not sure Steven Gerrard would agree about there not being a massive gulf between the two sides in light of some of his recent comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Happy Mods I'd say.

No Liverpool vs Utd in the CL this season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

brilliant now the liverpool and arsenal fans can be at each others throats in here for a change!!

There's not enough of them and anyway, most United fans would still stick their oar in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

.....Liverpool's luck just ran out.

What luck would that be???:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So the aggregate score over the 2 games last season was 4-4...what a massive gulf, i may require the Worlds Largest Pole to vault across it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

DesF wrote: »
    Happy Mods I'd say.

No Liverpool vs Utd in the CL this season.
    CL Final Des. :)

It'll be worse than you can possibly imagine :/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

sweetie wrote: »
    Premier league game!

Saturday, 05 April 2008
    Arsenal v Liverpool, 15:00

3 times in two weeks

3 times in 8 days no?

If there wasn't a massive gulf between the two sides then you'd see Liverpool challenging for the league title. As it is they're not even guaranteed Champions League football next season, unlike Arsenal.

Nope, no gulf there at all!

Melion wrote: »
    There's not enough of them and anyway, most United fans would still stick their oar in.

Well it'll certainly ease it a bit thank ****!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,169 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Last season Arsenal finished 4th. This season they seem to be doing a bit better than that, and Pool seem to have gone backwards. Go figure

• Advertisement

Well it'll certainly ease it a bit thank ****!

Definitely, until the final rolls around and its Liverpool - United. At least 20 bans handed out i think

Ahh well at least we dont have to travel far after the Everton game and they can stay in London after the first leg to play the league game

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Liverpool have today announced the dates of their Champions League quarter-final clash with Arsenal.
    The first leg will take place at the Emirates Stadium on Wednesday April 2, 2008.

The return at Anfield will take place the following week on Tuesday April 8, 2008.

The Merseyside derby against Everton, scheduled for Sunday March 30, 2008, is unaffected and remains on this date.

lol 3 game in 6 day between liverpool and arsenal?

If there wasn't a massive gulf between the two sides then you'd see Liverpool challenging for the league title. As it is they're not even guaranteed Champions League football next season, unlike Arsenal.

Nope, no gulf there at all!

What the gulf that was cut in half almost in 3 games?

I'm not sure Steven Gerrard would agree about there not being a massive gulf between the two sides in light of some of his recent comments.

at the end of the day liverpool were second some 1 or 2 points behind arsenal on 7th December and then went on a terrible run until late January/early February where they only won 1 or at most 2 league games. about a month ago arsenal were 18 or 19 points clear of liverpool now its down to 9

nyways league positions have nothing to do with cup matches, how did portsmouth knock out man utd last sunday, how did barnsley beat liverpool and they are not even in the same division or oldham beat everton 2 divisions above them or liverpool beat chelsea in 2005 when they were 30 points clear or chelsea beat arsenal in 2004 when arsenal were far ahead

What the gulf that was cut in half almost in 3 games?

Sorry mate but the gulf between Liverpool and genuine title contenders remains in place.

I read an interview with Reina on teletext where he spoke of the need to bring in more world class players to make Liverpool title contenders.

Recent good results don't negate the fact that Liverpool have had a miserable season and that there manager remains under pressure. If Arsenal put Liverpool out do you think Benitez will be assured of being in charge next season?

Yea liverpool have had a bad season again in the league with far to many draws.

Past two seasons they have finished ahead of the team who are currently sitting top, and lost less games than the team sitting in 2nd.

United should walk to the Final
    Its going to be Liverpool Barca Final

6 minutes between these two posts!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

Change mind much?!:pac::pac:

Definitely, until the final rolls around and its Liverpool - United. At least 20 bans handed out i think

Jesus, the server would explode and the mods would all kill themselves!

• Advertisement

Change mind much?!:pac::pac:

Yea change it so often i cant decide what to eat sometimes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Arsenal are very, very beatable, especially being away in the second leg. Shame it's not being played this weekend because Liverpool are much stronger on current form.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    nyways league positions have nothing to do with cup matches, how did portsmouth knock out man utd last sunday, how did barnsley beat liverpool and they are not even in the same division or oldham beat everton 2 divisions above them or liverpool beat chelsea in 2005 when they were 30 points clear or chelsea beat arsenal in 2004 when arsenal were far ahead

I believe the fact it is over two ties will mean Arsenal will get the win. I'm sticking my neck out on that one! In fact, United-Roma is the one tie that I can't call. I'm not as confident about that outcome as others seem to be.
    Yea liverpool have had a bad season again in the league with far to many draws.

Past two seasons they have finished ahead of the team who are currently sitting top, and lost less games than the team sitting in 2nd.

I agree with you about the number of draws but if I recall correctly Liverpool were quite fortunate to escape several of those games with a point.

As for the past two seasons Liverpool finishing ahead of the team currently top, doesn't that show that whilst other teams have been making progress (ie Arsenal) Liverpool have been going backwards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Arsenal vs Liverpool is a mouthwatering clash. I fully expect Arsene Wenger to show Benitez and hs boys the exit. One look at the Premiership table shows the MASSIVE GULF between the two sides and Liverpool will be outplayed over the two ties.

on the other hand it could be 3 victories in 2 weeks for liverpool against the arse....

Call_me_al wrote: »
    on the other hand it could be 3 victories in 2 weeks for liverpool against the arse....

It could be alright. I don't want to give off the idea that I think Liverpool are muck because I don't and they certainly could defeat Arsenal...I just don't expect that to be the outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Arsenal have gone backwards in the last month or so, while Liverpool are finding some real form. There may be a 10 point difference in the league table at the moment, but I don't think it'll be that big come the end of the season. Just look at the last six games Liverpool: WWWWWW, Arsenal: DDDDWD. Now everyone knows form goes out the window in Europe, but there's no manager better than Benitez at getting a result over two legs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the way i see it is, that Liverpool and arsenal have both struggled for consistency. on their day however they are both formidable teams, but from watching the Milan match i think it's fair to say that when Arsenal are playing well they play at a level above and beyond Liverpool's best.

the key in this tie will be possession i think. At times Liverpool are very poor at retaining the ball, and while Inter didn't really punish them for this, Arsenal most definitely can. I think it will be very interesting to see what Rafa plan's for this, i'm not sure their more typical counter attacking approach would garner much joy.

What the hell happened this morning. The draw was leaked hours before it was made "live"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

What the hell happened this morning. The draw was leaked hours before it was made "live"

what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Killme00 wrote: »
    what???

The thread itself cant be accessed because theres so many people viewing it. Heres a screen shot of the first post. Statistically, you have less of a 1% chance to guess the draw correctly. VERY fishy.

http://i29.tinypic.com/2i96mj8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

Tusky wrote: »
    The thread itself cant be accessed because theres so many people viewing it. Heres a screen shot of the first post. Statistically, you have less of a 1% chance to guess the draw correctly. VERY fishy.

if true..GULP!!!

• Advertisement

I agree with you about the number of draws but if I recall correctly Liverpool were quite fortunate to escape several of those games with a point.

yes and liverpool lost to west ham with a peno 3 minutes into injury time, dropped 2 points against wigan in the last five minutes, dropped a point against man utd with their only shot on target, should have gained 3 points against chelsea but for terrible peno decision, totally outplayed city but couldn't score, these things even themselves out over the season.

have liverpool gone backwards this season (i will have to check) or are arsenal just having a good season like everton do every 3 or ipswich had a while back or reading 2 seasons back. Man utd are 5 points worse off than this time last year despite scoring the same amount of goals and conceding 7 less, have they gone backwards???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

in All Previous European Meetings Between Two English Teams - The Team Who Is Lowest In The League Standings At The Time Of The Tie Has Won.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Tusky wrote: »

can't say I'm surprised at that. there have been suspicions about the validity of the draw on numerous occasions, if I'm not mistaken.

edit: and the chance of getting it correct is MUCH smaller than 1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Well that pic is interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Arsenal are favourites. And rightly so. But it's a cup game. Chelsea were favourites both times in the past three years. We'll give it a lash. And if the game still hangs in the balance when it comes back to Anfield we'll give them a ****ing fright. We can win. Lets goo.

I read through the whole thread(had to refresh A LOT), very very suspicious. I think Sky, BBC etc will be made aware of it very soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

im just happy that United have a non-English path to the final

obviously im not saying that they will easily get past Barcelona when they beat Roma, but i think they have a better chance against them than against any of the English teams

fergie hinted at draw fixing after last years pairings.

i have always felt the draw was rigged so doesn't surprise me in the least

kev_s88 wrote: »
    im just happy that United have a non-English path to the final

obviously im not saying that they will easily get past Barcelona when they beat Roma, but i think they have a better chance against them than against any of the English teams

When they beat roma?

roma for me are not much more than a uefa cup team. Middlesborough beat them 2 seasons back says it all really.

they had their day in the sun against madrid, it will be a walk in the park for man utd:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement