Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions league draw

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

rossie1977 wrote: »
    fergie hinted at draw fixing after last years pairings.

i have always felt the draw was rigged so doesn't surprise me in the least

With Chelsea's draw I suspect Roman the Russian may be passing some chunky brown envelopes around UEFA ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

roma for me are not much more than a uefa cup team. Middlesborough beat them 2 seasons back says it all really.

they had their day in the sun against madrid, it will be a walk in the park for man utd:)
    :pac::pac::pac: Yes, I hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭kev_s88

Melion wrote: »
    When they beat roma?

yes WHEN they beat Roma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

DesF wrote: »

WOAH!

I'm not making a call on this, but it's not tin-foil hat territory to say there's corruption in high level football organisations.

gosplan wrote: »
    WOAH!

I'm not making a call on this, but it's not tin-foil hat territory to say there's corruption in high level football organisations.

not yet anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

kev_s88 wrote: »
    yes WHEN they beat Roma

The same Roma team that put out Real Madrid?

For all the "zomg it wuz rigged" people.

What possible reason reason would they have had for rigging it in the way they have?

They want ManYoo to win? Why this season? Why not last year?

They want Shalke to progress further, maybe to the final? Why?

Come on lads, it's all very saying it was rigged, but why the fook would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,310 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

If they were going to rig it they would have Liverpool and Man Utd playing now as then there is no chance of both getting to the Final and some major fighting happening

• Advertisement

The same Real Madrid that havent made the last 8 in 4 years?!!:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If they were going to rig it they would have Liverpool and Man Utd playing now as then there is no chance of both getting to the Final and some major fighting happening

DING DING DING!!

/ this pointless conspiracy nonesense?

yes the same Roma team that put out Real Madrid.also the same Roma team who United have scored 10 goals against in the last 4 times they played

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭ditpoker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

why? there's one glaringly obvious reason Des, revenue.

• Advertisement

why? there's one glaringly obvious reason Des, revenue.
    They'd make money off the games no matter who played who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Here's the original thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You can bet on the outcome of the draw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

yes and liverpool lost to west ham with a peno 3 minutes into injury time, dropped 2 points against wigan in the last five minutes, dropped a point against man utd with their only shot on target, should have gained 3 points against chelsea but for terrible peno decision, totally outplayed city but couldn't score, these things even themselves out over the season.

have liverpool gone backwards this season (i will have to check) or are arsenal just having a good season like everton do every 3 or ipswich had a while back or reading 2 seasons back. Man utd are 5 points worse off than this time last year despite scoring the same amount of goals and conceding 7 less, have they gone backwards???

2006/2007 Final Premier League Table:

1 Manchester United (C) 89 pts
    2 Chelsea 83 pts
    3 Liverpool 68 pts
    4 Arsenal 68 pts
    5 Tottenham 60 pts
    6 Everton 58 pts

2007/2008 current Premier League Table:

1 Arsenal 66 pts
    2 Manchester United 64 pts
    3 Chelsea 61 pts
    4 Liverpool 56 pts
    5 Everton 56 pts
    6 Aston Villa 49 pts

I think it's fair to say from viewing these figures that yes, Liverpool have gone backwards. In 2007 they were nowhere near the Premier League title, finished ahead of Arsenal in 3rd place due to a goal difference of +2 and comfortably secured Champions League football.

In 2008 they are again nowhere near the Premier League title, are now significantly behind Arsenal - who have made great strides and are now top - and find themselves just ahead of Everton in 5th due to goal difference.

I would class that as a step backwards for Liverpool and for Arsenal, a massive step forwards.

Obviously there's still time left in the season but other than winning the Champions League, which personally I don't see happening, I think you'd have to chalk this season off as a disappointment.

As Steven Gerrard put it:
    'You don't get any prizes in football for finishing in second place, never mind fourth.

'I don't think that the fans would accept fourth as an accomplishment and for me it's not nearly good enough. We need to improve dramatically and even if we do finish fourth, it doesn't mean we have had a good season.

'In the position we find ourselves now, fourth is the least that is acceptable. But we have bigger ambitions than that.

'The only way we can fulfil those ambitions is in the Champions League. And I am not going to pretend that even winning that trophy - and we are a long way away from it at the moment - will make up for the disappointment of the league campaign.

'I'm pretty gutted every time I look at the table and see the gap between us and Arsenal at the top, and even the gap between us and second and third.

'We believed we had the players to challenge for the title, and we wanted that one more than any other trophy available to us. I still believe we have the squad to be a hell of a lot more competitive than we are right now.

'I'm getting tired of saying the same thing over and over again.

'We can't keep talking about next season all the time. There are only so many times you can say it and believe it. Sooner or later we have to make one season the season we make it happen and do the talking on the pitch.

Sums up how I'd view things really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭micks

What possible reason reason would they have had for rigging it in the way they have?

Who knows?

To ensure there wasn't 4 english clubs in semi's?

Or maybe more realistic it is a real draw but just not live ?
    something very dodgy about it though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

2 Chelsea 83 pts
    3 Liverpool 68 pts
    4 Arsenal 68 pts
    5 Tottenham 60 pts
    6 Everton 58 pts

1 Arsenal 66 pts
    3 Chelsea 61 pts
    4 Liverpool 56 pts
    5 Everton 56 pts
    6 Aston Villa 49 pts

I think it's fair to say from viewing these figures that yes, Liverpool have gone backwards.

I would be expecting at least 13 points from our last 9 fixtures, if not 20+. so if we do finish that way then we will have improved if only a small bit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

We had 68 points total last seasons. We now have 56 with 9 games left which means we could end up with 83 points, a significant improvement on last year even if we dont win the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

2 Chelsea 83 pts
    3 Liverpool 68 pts
    4 Arsenal 68 pts
    5 Tottenham 60 pts
    6 Everton 58 pts

1 Arsenal 66 pts
    3 Chelsea 61 pts
    4 Liverpool 56 pts
    5 Everton 56 pts
    6 Aston Villa 49 pts

I think it's fair to say from viewing these figures that yes, Liverpool have gone backwards. In 2007 they were nowhere near the Premier League title, finished ahead of Arsenal in 3rd place due to a goal difference of +2 and comfortably secured Champions League football.

In 2008 they are again nowhere near the Premier League title, are now significantly behind Arsenal - who have made great strides and are now top - and find themselves just ahead of Everton in 5th due to goal difference.

I would class that as a step backwards for Liverpool and for Arsenal, a massive step forwards.

Obviously there's still time left in the season but other than winning the Champions League, which personally I don't see happening, I think you'd have to chalk this season off as a disappointment.

Err. The season isnt over yet. Last season we were 21 points off the top by the end of the season. This season we are 10 points off the top with 9 games to play. If we finish within single digits to the top team, that represents progress.

Because someone paid them to?

Why would Mexico get the world cup twice in four outings in the 70s/80s

Because the second time they were the standby for some other country who had been due to have it, but as it turned out couldn't host it.

Colombia I do believe.

edit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1986_FIFA_World_Cup
    Colombia was originally chosen as hosts by FIFA in June 1974. However, the Colombian authorities declared in November 1982 that they could not afford to host the World Cup under the terms that FIFA demanded. Mexico was selected on May 20, 1983 as the replacement hosts, beating the bids of Canada, and the United States

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

'86 World Cup was suppossed to be in Colombia but a major earthquake ruined their planning....Mexico had the infrastructure to step in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Because Columbia the origonal hosts for 86 told Fifa in 82 they couldnt afford to host it so 3 teams bid to host it with little time to prepare Mexico,Canada and the US. Mexcio at the time probably had the best footballing infrastructure of the 3 so it won the bid.

Because Columbia the origonal hosts for 86 told Fifa in 82 they couldnt afford to host it so 3 teams bid to host it with little time to prepare Mexico,Canada and the US. Mexcio at the time probably had the best footballing infrastructure of the 3 so it won the bid.

Ye actually this is right. I got my wires crossed about the earthquake I think?

Nunu wrote: »
    Ye actually this is right. I got my wires crossed about the earthquake I think?

The quake was actually in Mexico

from my previous link.
    A severe earthquake in September 1985, eight months before the tournament, cast doubt over Mexico's ability to organize the event; however, the stadiums were not affected and it was decided to go ahead with the preparations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭lpool2k05

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_headline=icliverpool-forums-swamped-by-champions-league-draw-fix-claim%26method=full%26objectid=20624591%26siteid=50061-name_page.html

icLiverpool forums swamped by Champions League draw fix claim

Mar 14 2008

By Vicki Kellaway, Liverpool Echo

THOUSANDS of football fans bombarded icLiverpool's Liverpool FC forum today after a message appeared to correctly predict the Champions’ League draw - more than 90 minutes before it was made.

The user claimed they heard a rumour the draw would pit Liverpool against Arsenal and forecast the other matches.

It also said bookmakers had stopped taking bets.

Experts said it was virtually impossible to manipulate the time of the posting - which read 10.28am.

And a number of forum users said they had seen the posting before the midday draw.

Uefa this afternoon said the person who posted the message "must have supernatural powers".

The forum user who predicted the Liverpool draw posted under the name "confused".

He also said Fenerbahce would draw Chelsea and Manchester United Roma

The forums’ mystery poster did not reveal the source of his information.

But he did claim bookmakers refused to take a bet on his draw predictions.

Several city bookmakers agreed this was the case - but said they were not taking bets on the draw anyway.

UEFA spokesman William Gallard said: "He must have supernatural powers. I know the people who did the draw and I am 150% certain it is completely honest.

"You might be able to fool a computer but everyone can see the teams are picked out fairly this way."

Steve Harrison, content manager for Trinity Mirror's websites in the North West, said: "The fact that a full prediction of the Champions League draw appeared on our forum site well before the live draw took place in Switzerland is quite remarkable.

"We are investigating the circumstances surrounding this posting. As a result the site - at http://forums.icnorthwest.co.uk/ - has experienced a dramatic increase in visitors."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Tusky wrote: »
    Err. The season isnt over yet. Last season we were 21 points off the top by the end of the season. This season we are 10 points off the top with 9 games to play. If we finish within single digits to the top team, that represents progress.

As I said before yes there's still time left in the season but unless the European Cup is won, the season would have to be regarded as a disappointment. Gerrard seems to think so too.

I would say what Arsenal have managed represents genuine progress whereas what Liverpool have managed is to fail yet again to mount a league title challenge. It wasn't too long ago that the 'sack Rafa' brigade were making their voices heard. I wouldn't be at all surprised if similar calls come out following the Arsenal tie.

I call shenanigans.

Here is the picture of the supposed thread.
    http://i29.tinypic.com/2i96mj8.jpg

Here is the url of the first forum that it was supposedly on
    http://forums.icnorthwest.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33755&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here is the url of the forum as quoted in that Mirror story
    http://forums.liverpoolecho.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33755

Now, same user, at the exact same time, on two different forums?

The one forum that can be accessed looks different to the one in the picture.

Bullshít tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

They seem to be the exact same forums though, not 2 seperate ones....same replies and everything?

Hmm, I remember stories about Mexico flying the UEFA heads out there at great expense and lots of allegations that they sweetened the deal somewhat.

Doesn't make it into the bastion of truth that is wikipedia though so I guess it can't be true :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I call shenanigans.

Here is the picture of the supposed thread.
    http://i29.tinypic.com/2i96mj8.jpg

Here is the url of the first forum that it was supposedly on
    http://forums.icnorthwest.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33755&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Here is the url of the forum as quoted in that Mirror story
    http://forums.liverpoolecho.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=33755

Now, same user, at the exact same time, on two different forums?

The one forum that can be accessed looks different to the one in the picture.

Bullshít tbh.

Des the icliverpool and liverpool echo sites are pretty much the same - same writers (Tony Barrett et al) same articles etc, id imagine the forum boards are simply the same, with different style around it depending on which one you linked through from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I thought one required 50 posts to get access to the Soccer forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping forums.icnorthwest.co.uk
    Pinging forums.icnorthwest.co.uk [62.44.69.172] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=52
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=52
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=64ms TTL=52
    Ping statistics for 62.44.69.172:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 64ms, Maximum = 83ms, Average = 70ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping forums.liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Pinging forums.liverpoolecho.co.uk [62.44.69.172] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=52
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=52
    Minimum = 63ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 64ms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

All I get is an error when I click the link.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

This is pretty much covered in the CL final draw. Loads of info in there in the final few pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

already a thread discussion on this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

DeadSkin wrote: »
    I thought one required 50 posts to get access to the Soccer forum
    Indeed.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055250649 - existing thread.

Can't argue with the ping test I suppose.

Sherifu wrote: »
    C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping forums.icnorthwest.co.uk
    Pinging forums.icnorthwest.co.uk [62.44.69.172] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=83ms TTL=52
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=69ms TTL=52
    Minimum = 64ms, Maximum = 83ms, Average = 70ms

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>ping forums.liverpoolecho.co.uk
    Pinging forums.liverpoolecho.co.uk [62.44.69.172] with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=65ms TTL=52
    Reply from 62.44.69.172: bytes=32 time=63ms TTL=52
    Minimum = 63ms, Maximum = 65ms, Average = 64ms

Sherifu does make a good point lads....... :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I don't mean to talk sense here, but surely this is just a publicity stunt by the forum, having changed the time of the post in the database after the draw? It's easy to do.

Hmm, I remember stories about Mexico flying the UEFA heads out there at great expense and lots of allegations that they sweetened the deal somewhat.

Doesn't make it into the bastion of truth that is wikipedia though so I guess it can't be true :D

Were they going for the European Championships?
    ...Surely they should have flown out the FIFA heads;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

dublindude wrote: »
    I don't mean to talk sense here, but surely this is just a publicity stunt by the forum, having changed the time of the post in the database after the draw? It's easy to do.

Would be a pretty stupid thing to do from the official Liverpool city website...and i dont think it is particularly easy to do, especially with the many many posters who posted before the draw on the topic. Considering the amount of traffic that board would receive when the draw is on, theres no way it wouldn't be spotted by loads of people. Can you imagine that working here on the draw thread?

Check this bit of banter for instance;
    Johnboy wrote:
    BloodRed wrote:
    Johnboy wrote:
    bet thats probably only the warm up draw.

I will give anybody odds of 100000000/1 that we wont get Arsenal now. Cool

WONT get Arsenal?

I put a fiver on it!
    £500,000,005m is a lota lota money! Very Happy

You will notice my username disapear from the boards shortly after the draw if this happens and a new name will appear which is definatly not me I promise Wink Laughing

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭james123

Yeah well im old school but that is not the issue here!!

james123 wrote: »
    Yeah well im old school but that is not the issue here!!

Old Skool 2005.

stfu n00b. :p:p:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement