Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Front hubcaps on 2005 Opel Astra Very Dirty

Options
  • 07-03-2008 1:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭

I see this on my own and every other Opel Astra out there, but not on any other type of car (as far as I can see) - basically the front hubcaps get extremely dirty over time (they almost look like they're getting covered in soot), while the back ones are fine - no matter how much I clean them, it just keeps on building up. Is this a sign of a dirty engine or something?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Sounds like dust off the brake pads. You see it a lot on alloy wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

redtom wrote: »
    I see this on my own and every other Opel Astra out there, but not on any other type of car (as far as I can see) - basically the front hubcaps get extremely dirty over time (they almost look like they're getting covered in soot), while the back ones are fine - no matter how much I clean them, it just keeps on building up. Is this a sign of a dirty engine or something?

I had the same thing on a Vectra a couple of years ago, but it had alloy wheels. From my experience it was brake dust and particularly bad on Opels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

It's brake dust! Happens on every car, some more noticeable than others, depending on alloy/wheel trim design. Happens on rear wheels too if you have rear disc breaks rather than drums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭redtom

Thanks for the replies - can it be taken as a sign your breakpads need to be changed or is it because they may be new and after awhile there won't be as much dust?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

It's just regular wear from the pads. The dust clings to the alloys on my Astra. Car wash doesn't even get them clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

JoeA3 wrote: »
    It's brake dust! Happens on every car, some more noticeable than others, depending on alloy/wheel trim design. Happens on rear wheels too if you have rear disc breaks rather than drums.

There will always be more dust from the front regardless of type of brakes due to far higher braking forces at the front

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Brake dust. Most decent motor factors will have some sort of spray on cleaner that will help remove the grime. High pressure washes do the business in this regard but you will get wet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't get cleaner that is too strong or leave the cleaner on too long, or the paint will come off the trims.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

i use this stuff on my plastic hubcaps on a 07 Ford Focus.....

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Wonder_Wheels_Cleaning_Kit__5334056

i saw it in Halfords today so they definitely sell it but i got it in another auto stores in Cork city a few weeks ago. 16 -17 euros but it should do at least 20 runs on all 4 wheels.

it melts off the brake dust when you apply it with a little paint brush (supplied) very easily and then you rinse it off.

so much easier than struggling with a coarse brush and getting nowhere. just make sure you follow the instructions correctly and always wear gloves just in case ;)

Advertisement