Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A veteran returns to the battlefield

Options
  • 07-03-2008 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭

So, last night i reinstalled BF2, after probably about a year and a half or so away. When was road to jalalabad released? Yeah, that was the last time i played the game.
    Well i have to say time has been kinder to BF2 than most games ive played. I gave up BF2 in absolute disgust at how the BF series had secended into a shambles, amid rumours of futurustic sequels, in game advertising, paying for unlocks etc etc. "EA can go **** themselves", i thought as i hit the uninstall button on BF2. Clan life was over, no more matches, no more training, nothing.
    And jesus its made me realise that BF2 is actually a damn sight more enjoyable when youre playing it for fun, and not work.
    Starting from the very beginning as a private with no unlocks sounds intimidating but the medics AK47 for the MEC saw to it i ended up with an almost 2:1 KDR. 64 man strike at karkand was just fantastic. So not much point to this thread, other than to say BF2 is alot better than i remembered it being. And for people who had given up on it, its fun to go back to it from a non-clan perspective and just play for laughs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Counter Strike: Source was the exact same for me (except for the whole @EA can go......@ thing)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

CS:S is a game i could NEVER paly in a clan. I played one competitive match and got owned so badly i was like the german counter strike kid, but i do play it for fun aswell, and enjoy just having a half hour game or so. I just think clan life kinda spoiled some aspects of online gaming for me. Yeah its a great laugh playing with friends and all, but the clan rivalries, and the training, etc, makes it more of a chore to play at times than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm hooked on playing Wake Island on 64 man over and over.
    So much fun!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

Very tempted to blow the dust off the discs myself,had a few games of Bfv of late and really enjoyed battlefield again,As you say 0ubliette its class to get fun into it again without all the "play this way,play that way" chore feeling you get from playing with people/clans in order to suite they're tastes & wishes.
    Damn i missed the heli's in nam :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

whiskeyman wrote: »
    I'm hooked on playing Wake Island on 64 man over and over.
    So much fun!!
    Server IP, please:D

• Advertisement

the_syco wrote: »
    Server IP, please:D

TV2 servers. They've usually 2 64 Wake islands on good pings.
    2 others on 50 man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

It's not left my HDD in nearly 2 years :eek:

Admittedly, the HDD sectors where it sits may be a little dusty, as I only fired it up last night for the first time in nearly 5 months (lack of time to play, simple as :(), but it still rocks so much in both SP and MP. Even after recently completing the COD4 SP mode.

I can see myself updating/upgrading the desktop soon, and reinstall BF2 straight away, if only for the sheer pleasure of playing it with increasingly better and better performance (originally P4/Radeon9500/512/IDE, a fair few upgrades since and currently AMD64/Radeon9800Pro/1GB/SATA, so still a long way from anything "rockingly current" :D)

I take back any praise i had for this ****ing game already.

did nobody playest this dog****?? Because surely if they did they would have relaised that
    THE WEAPONS DONT WORK.

I remember now why i hated this game so much, because its not a matter of aiming and shooting, its a matter of aming, shooting, nothing happening, praying to god it hits, getting one hit, thinking youre about to kill someone, when some prick runs up and kills you with one shot/stabs you.

Not wasting any more time playing this crap again. Goodby BF2, you certainly sucked massive amounts of cock.

0b iz Fail :D:p

ambro25 wrote: »
    0b iz Fail :D:p

yer maaaaaa is fail :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

I was thinking your first post was a bit optimistic there alright, but I didn't want to say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

0ubliette wrote: »
    I take back any praise i had for this ****ing game already.

did nobody playest this dog****?? Because surely if they did they would have relaised that
    THE WEAPONS DONT WORK.

I remember now why i hated this game so much, because its not a matter of aiming and shooting, its a matter of aming, shooting, nothing happening, praying to god it hits, getting one hit, thinking youre about to kill someone, when some prick runs up and kills you with one shot/stabs you.

Not wasting any more time playing this crap again. Goodby BF2, you certainly sucked massive amounts of cock.

all I can say is... LoL... serves you right for the "pew pew" comments about 2142 :p

(but you're right. its really annoying an frustrating when you unload a clip into someone, the hits register and then he turns and drops you with a single shot from 30 metres away with a pistol........).

yer maaaaaa is fail :p

Yer dawg frags better :p

LoLth wrote: »
    all I can say is... LoL... serves you right for the "pew pew" comments about 2142 :p

(but you're right. its really annoying an frustrating when you unload a clip into someone, the hits register and then he turns and drops you with a single shot from 30 metres away with a pistol........).

i stand by my pew pew laz0rs comment!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭twinytwo

CS:S is a game i could NEVER paly in a clan. I played one competitive match and got owned so badly i was like the german counter strike kid, but i do play it for fun aswell, and enjoy just having a half hour game or so. I just think clan life kinda spoiled some aspects of online gaming for me. Yeah its a great laugh playing with friends and all, but the clan rivalries, and the training, etc, makes it more of a chore to play at times than anything else.

dude i gave up cs cause off all the noobs that plat it and battlefield is slowly sinking into a hole.... i mean how many people are sick and tired off the noobs that do nothing else than fly around in the helis all day???... and the air defence weapons in the game are useless... and on top of that they teamkill to make sure that thye get the helis??. Some serious alterations have to be made to the game

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

twinytwo wrote: »
    Some serious alterations have to be made to the game
    When EA moved onto 2142, BF2 didn't really get many more updates. TBH, look at the mods. Less n00blets, and more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was just playing some BF2 last night on our Karkie server and too realised how dam good a game it really is. Seems our lads might be getting back into it. We have our first BF2 match in 4 months this friday and may there be many more for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

Just Reinstalled it myself yesterday..
    Could only find about 5 servers :(

Wazdakka wrote: »
    Just Reinstalled it myself yesterday..
    Could only find about 5 servers :(

you mustn't have the uptodate patches installed!

Still plenty of servers out there with great games.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

whiskeyman wrote: »
    you mustn't have the uptodate patches installed!

I downloaded the Straight through patch to the latest version.... I think..
    What version be she running at these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

think i might blow the dust off the hd sectors where BF2 is installed and give it a whirl. Been hooked on COD4 on the 360 for ages but am feeling the need for some wide open spaces where i can drive a tank!

Anyone play any of the mods? I used to play Point of Existance 2 quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

One of my clan members asked a few of us to join in on a little scrim with another clan the other day. To say it was depressing is an understatement, we got owned. Now my side where mostly noobs, and I've only got sub-250 hours of play, but usually could hold my own in Karkand.

Anyway, it wasn't funny. 100 metre headshots/one shot kills while I was running just didnt seem right, and while not publicly telling them that they hacked, our clan was definitly thinking it. Yeah, they the other clan was seasoned(2500+ hours gameplay), it ruined the thoughts of going back to BF2.

Well, I may just stay with COD4 for a while longer, and maybe get a bit of 2142 play in instead. So much easier more fun to snipe with a Bauer, than getting completely owned with Medic AK in BF2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭twinytwo

One of my clan members asked a few of us to join in on a little scrim with another clan the other day. To say it was depressing is an understatement, we got owned. Now my side where mostly noobs, and I've only got sub-250 hours of play, but usually could hold my own in Karkand.

Anyway, it wasn't funny. 100 metre headshots/one shot kills while I was running just didnt seem right, and while not publicly telling them that they hacked, our clan was definitly thinking it. Yeah, they the other clan was seasoned(2500+ hours gameplay), it ruined the thoughts of going back to BF2.

Well, I may just stay with COD4 for a while longer, and maybe get a bit of 2142 play in instead. So much easier more fun to snipe with a Bauer, than getting completely owned with Medic AK in BF2.

oh mate u have no idea it has become a joke. the amount of times i have been killed with one shot where i know they have hacked because its just not possible to kill me the ways thery do. Or snipered as i fall off a building... but what i hate the most are the noobs who do nothing but fly around in the helis all day and teamkill just to make sure they get them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

The targeting is BF2 is completely off too, I'm sure of that. Even with a high ping in COD or 2142, you still get the kill, you might get lucky in bf2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Who did we scrim?? I didn't know we had a BF2 scrim recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Went back to 2142 and bf2 after a good bout of COD4, took some getting used to it again, takes alot more to out someone donw in 2142 and BF2, i don't know how many i thought i hit a guy enough and turned only for him to get me. Titan mode rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

played 2 games of bf 2 last night got horrible owned <sigh> so rusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭TheHairyFairy

bizmark wrote: »
    played 2 games of bf 2 last night got horrible owned <sigh> so rusty

You where never any good at BF2, now BFV thats a different matter. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Tis true tbh ;/

• Advertisement

The targeting is BF2 is completely off too, I'm sure of that. Even with a high ping in COD or 2142, you still get the kill, you might get lucky in bf2.

I dont know how in gods name DICE let the game ship with aiming/shooting like that. Its ridiculously inaccurate and yet you always seem to get killed by one shot to the foot from a pistol :rolleyes:
    Ah well, quake wars is taking up my time now so bf2 id free to languish unplayed in the pits of mediocrity.

Advertisement