Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Rf101?

Options
  • 07-03-2008 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭

Howya's!

Okay im selling my car privately and I just want to clarify a few things in relation to the "change of ownership" form.

When I get the new owner to fill out the form and we both sign it, do I hold onto it and post it off to the place in Clare or does he?

If he keeps it then he has proof of ownership of the car if a gard happens to stop him down the road. However if he is caught speeding than it will go on my licence. Right?

Is it good enough to just photocopy he completed form before I give it to him?

Also where can I get those special markers that check to see if notes are fake??

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The seller and buyer fill in and sign the relevant sections of the Change of Ownership part of the Vehicle Registration Cert (Vehicle Licensing Cert for pre 2004 reg cars). The seller then sends the form to the Department Of Environment in Shannon, Co. Clare. The DOE then update their database and post out a new Vehicle Registration Cert to the buyer who is the new registered owner of the vehicle.

Under no circumstances should the seller give the VRC or VLC to the buyer.

More info here:

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/change_of_ownership

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

"If you privately buy a vehicle, the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles) and return it to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Environment and Local Government.
    The new details will be registered and the amended certificate will be sent to you. The seller will give the Vehicle Registration Certificate for a pre-April 2004 vehicle to you when you buy the vehicle."

Does this not conflict with what you said!?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

The Vehicle Registration Certificate, which you also get when you buy a pre-April 2004 vehicle, should be given to the new owner at the time of the sale.

Im confused now.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

"If you privately buy a vehicle, the seller must fill in your details on part B of the Vehicle Licensing Certificate (Vehicle Registration Certificate for post-April 2004 vehicles) and return it to the Vehicle Registration Unit of the Department of Environment and Local Government.
    The new details will be registered and the amended certificate will be sent to you. The seller will give the Vehicle Registration Certificate for a pre-April 2004 vehicle to you when you buy the vehicle."

Does this not conflict with what you said!?:confused:

I'm confused myself now. I was always told send the VRC to Shannon not the buyer. Maybe this only applies to cars registered after 2004?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Never give the cert to the buyer. To protect yourself, you must post it in yourself. Say you give it to the buyer, and they never send it in. You get all the parking tickets, speeding fines etc. etc.

If a buyer insisted on me handing the cert over, I would not sell them the car.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

esel wrote: »
    Never give the cert to the buyer. To protect yourself, you must post it in yourself. Say you give it to the buyer, and they never send it in. You get all the parking tickets, speeding fines etc. etc.

If a buyer insisted on me handing the cert over, I would not sell them the car.

Solution: stick it in an envelope and post it in a public mailbox together

Advertisement