Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "walking" displays on o'connell st

Options
  • 07-03-2008 2:34pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know what those 4 displays of male walking and female walking on o'connell st are all about? They look awful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

typical irish response to a piece of art on our streets :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

a) how do you know im irish?
    b) how is one supposed to know said objects are art or what they represent?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I likes em. I hope they stay...great seeing peoples confused reactions to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

I gotta say im a fan of them, something completely different, love the way the lady walks too :-)
    not sure how long they are goign to stay for, but I hope its for a good while et.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭TEDDYBEAR90

No idea why they put them up, completely pointless if you ask me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If it is art as some of you have put it, i dont really see how it adds anything to the street or cultural values.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

well I have to say I think they're nice, wtf were them Norsk things about last year, Janieeeeeeeeeeeeee Mack!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Art schmart...not fussed on anyone's definition of what comes under that particularly wide umbrella. They provoke a reaction, the very fact the people question why they are there and what they stand for is interesting enough for me. The more extreme the reaction, the more I like it.

Of course, it's all subjective and that's just my opinion. I think they help give a contemporary feel, alongside the spire, to the street, particularly at night.

faceman wrote: »
    If it is art as some of you have put it, i dont really see how it adds anything to the street or cultural values.

Well since you seem to know nothing about art, maybe you should just leave it be.

Next you'll be walking into the concert hall and saying
    "I hate this classical music sh1t!"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I'm with I am a pie. They are very cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

They're part of an exhibition being held in the Hugh Lane gallery.

http://www.hughlane.ie/exhibitions/exhibc.asp (scroll down, it's the second listing).

Like the bronze hares that were on display last summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Anyone know what those 4 displays of male walking and female walking on o'connell st are all about?
    A surplus of Lotto money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The female art exhibit is too flat-chested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

They are there till November... Celebrating Hugh Lane Gallery's Anniversary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

I think they look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭simona

the art's purpose is for you to question it! if you ask what did that mean,obviously piece of art did its work.
    my suggestion is that these people are going on a date.you know the spire is supposed to be dating place for lovers.But that's only MY crazy :o :eek: idea :)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Peteer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

I've said it before but I wish they had bought the hares that they put on display last year. I think nearly everybody liked them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mr.S wrote: »
    i think their amusing, especially when drunk.
    They get drunk?

Not your ornery onager

jdivision wrote: »
    I've said it before but I wish they had bought the hares that they put on display last year. I think nearly everybody liked them.

they were crap looking. You are the first person I have heard likes them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The hares were brilliant, hardly hard a bad word about them.

I'd have liked to have seen those stay.

I wish I was a dictator, I would feed you two to a pack of rabbits now for liking them :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Don't dis the kung fu hares! I want one for my garden. I was sad to see them go tbh.

I hardly give the digital people a second glance tbh but the displays don't evoke any negative emotion from me. I think the souless 1 dimentional element to them fits in nicely with O'connell street tbh. I kinda like the fact that it's usually just me and the stick people who walk the centre island as the masses shove each other in an effort to walk down the packed pavements on either side. The fact that they're being talked about is a good thing though so they serve their purpose without being intrusive. Art only exists in the individuals mind so the whole is it art question is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Jay D wrote: »
    they were crap looking. You are the first person I have heard likes them.

No, think you'll find most people did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I loved the hares!
    Terribly sad to see them go!
    Great Quality sculptures! Loved the anvil one

IanCurtis wrote: »
    Well since you seem to know nothing about art, maybe you should just leave it be.

Next you'll be walking into the concert hall and saying
    "I hate this classical music sh1t!"

What an idiotic comment.

What an idiotic comment.

True though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

a) how do you know im irish?
    b) how is one supposed to know said objects are art or what they represent?

:rolleyes:

Isn't art all in how you interpret it? I must go check em out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

They have no feet!!! :eek: WTF is with the lack of feet?

• Advertisement

They have no feet!!! :eek: WTF is with the lack of feet?

never mind their floating heads

Advertisement