Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses & Grants

Options
  • 07-03-2008 3:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I need some information, hope someone can help me.

I am working at the moment but i would love to go back and do a college course. I wouldnt be able to pay for a full time course and continue paying my rent, bills etc, however i know that you can get grants for these courses from the department of education.

I have a few questions about this:

1: Are there particualr colleges that are covered with these grants?
    2: Can i still work part time if receiving this grant?
    3: how do i go about applying for a grant?? Is there someone i can contact to discuss the possibility of a grant??

As you can see i really have no idea what way to go about this and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

There is information on grants and back to education allowances here.

Greetings! The link smashey put down contains (within it) more links to various grant and back to education schemes, so it's definitely a good spot to start.
    I have a few questions about this:

1: Are there particualr colleges that are covered with these grants?

All public colleges are covered by the grant schemes, as long as the courses are full-time.
    2: Can i still work part time if receiving this grant?

Work? Yes, as long as the course is full-time. There is an income limit which, if you exceed it, you might not be eligible for the grant.
    3: how do i go about applying for a grant?? Is there someone i can contact to discuss the possibility of a grant??

As you can see i really have no idea what way to go about this and any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

There's lots of places (again, highlighted by smashey) but the only people who will give you accurate information are your local County Council or VEC, since they are the ones administrating the scheme.

Feel free to ask any other questions if you are unsure about anything :)

Dónal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Barberella27

Thanks for the replies..Especially your detailed reply dònal, it helped alot. If i have anymore questions (which is probably a given) i will be in touch.. :)

Thanks Again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭sarahirl

i went back to college as a mature student (in 3rd year now) and i never qualified for a grant, didn't even bother applying cos i read through the guideline and saw that being in prison can actually count towards the qualifying period for BTEA... http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?pcategory=10900&ecategory=19304&language=EN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭twasantis

as far as i know..grants are means tested on the previous years earnings..once u earn above 16000 it begins to influence the amount u can recieve, not sure as to wat point u are not eligible for a grant. also think u need to be unemployed for 6 months to recieve back to education allowance...

but besides all that its worth it, i went back in october last and lovin it :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement