Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government Anti-Irish?

Options
  • 07-03-2008 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Something I've come across more and more is the view that the government is actively trying to suppress the Irish-language. Especially when gaelscoils are involved, Irish-language activists are convinced that there is a hidden agenda.

There's certainly a case for saying the government is damaging Irish through reckless policies, but I think it's ridiculous to suggest that there is a deliberate attempt to do away with it.

What do ye think?

Comments

Two words, incompetence & indifference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭905

Two words, incompetence & indifference!

No, that's just a clever ruse. They actually hate the language in some sort of post-colonial, Stockholm syndrome way; I don't know what the logic is.
    So you haven't noticed the viewpoint I mentioned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Maybe on the QT they regard it as essentially pointless? Obviously no government could say it.

Mike.

I say incompetence & indifference because they have had more than sixty years to revive & restore the language. One of the key elements of language revival is practicing what you preach, this has simply not been done.

If the government made Irish the working language of the civil service then the rest of the country would take it seriously.

There is no doubt that the government has given up on reviving the language. This is hardly a secret. But they can't give up on maintaining it because it is too popular and important to a lot of people.

If they gave up supporting the language it would suit a lot of Irish language activists because they see the official status as something of a liability. All tokenism etc. Maybe they're trying to chase the government out of the Irish language movement altogether?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

We have no culture left.The goverment only have a token interest in the Irish language.We're Rhode Island or Manchester.

berliner wrote: »
    We have no culture left.The goverment only have a token interest in the Irish language.We're Rhode Island or Manchester.
    We have plenty of culture left. Rhode Island and Manchester don't have Taoisigh. And if you think that doesn't matter then you know little about what matters to Irish people.

The government has an active interest in the voters. The interest of voters in Irish may be tokenistic but it's still very important to them. Or do these people not matter?

Advertisement