Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FAO Aston Villa Fans

• 07-03-2008 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

As a Celtic fan and MON admirer Im interested in how Petrov has been getting on since his move.

Also, I have to say this, Agbonlahor is a fantastic player.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I'm not a Villa fan but I've seen him play and he's been woeful. My mate, a Villa fan, agrees. Wouldn't have near their first eleven.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Petrov has not been anywhere near as good for Villa as he was for Celtic. After a very impressive debut against West Ham his performance dipped and now most Villa fans would perfer to not see him in the first XI.

Gabby seems like a legend in the making... just hope he doesent end up as another Vassel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Have found Petrov very disappointing altogether. He seems way past his best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Has been consistently poor for us. Think he revelled in the opportunity of playing against poor sides in the Scottish league. I think if Villa were to play the same teams he'd probably be just as good. But he isn't upto playing against top players at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

DSB wrote: »
    Has been consistently poor for us. Think he revelled in the opportunity of playing against poor sides in the Scottish league. I think if Villa were to play the same teams he'd probably be just as good. But he isn't upto playing against top players at all.
    Harsh truth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Never got up to the pace of the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Maybe, but don't get carried away outside the top 4 or 5 the english league is poor, Petrov did well for Celtic but was starting to wain a bit around 2005 so i think the 7million celtic got was great buisness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

Badabing wrote: »
    Maybe, but don't get carried away outside the top 4 or 5 the english league is poor, Petrov did well for Celtic but was starting to wain a bit around 2005 so i think the 7million celtic got was great buisness.

I think youve got it spot on there badabing, Petrovs form had dropped massivly before he left, in fact im sure he started giving the im bored in a crap league excuses himself...i was surprised ONeil bought him at the time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yes Petrov has been very poor, that said I dont think its down to playing better teams/faster pace of the english game. In scotland he would bang in a few screamers from outside the box, much of which has nothing to do with the opposition, he still gets the chance to blast the ball but I think his morale is just extremely low at the moment and its not working out for him.

Agbonlahor is quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,346 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Spot on

• Advertisement

No doubting 7 million was a bargain for Celtic, but even the Villa, Everton, Man City, Tottenham, Blackburn, Portsmouths of the world would be better than Celtic and Rangers. And the rest of the English Premier would be also better than the rest of the Scottish clubs.

LMAO ... you are funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

LMAO ... you are funny!

how do you make that out?

neither of the old firm would break the top 8 in the prem, and no team apart from the old firm would have a hope of staying up

It is funny because it is arrogant and presumptious and comparing apples and oranges.. same goes for your comparison

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

how is it arrogant? im not part of the english premier league set up

i have nothing to gain by pointing out that the spl is probably just about a smidge above the eircom league, never mind being remotely in contention with the english premiership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

Helix wrote: »
    i have nothing to gain by pointing out that the spl is probably just about a smidge above the eircom league,

Ridiculous statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Helix wrote: »
    how is it arrogant? im not part of the english premier league set up

i have nothing to gain by pointing out that the spl is probably just about a smidge above the eircom league, never mind being remotely in contention with the english premiership
    armour87 wrote: »
    Ridiculous statement

Agreed, bar the old firm and maybe one or two others the EL is miles ahead of the spl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

but even the Villa, Everton, Man City, Tottenham, Blackburn, Portsmouths of the world would be better than Celtic and Rangers.

That is truely rubbish.Either Celtic or Rangers in the moneypit that is the Premiership would both be top 6 teams and with their financial windfall would push top 4 easily.Could any of the English clubs you mentioned actually qualify from champions league qualifiers ?I seriously doubt that.Celtic/Rangers are 2 huge clubs for all the wrong reasons and with the finances the EPL offers would píss all over the above mentioned clubs.

d22ontour wrote: »
    That is truely rubbish.Either Celtic or Rangers in the moneypit that is the Premiership would both be top 6 teams and with their financial windfall would push top 4 easily.Could any of the English clubs you mentioned actually qualify from champions league qualifiers ?I seriously doubt that.Celtic/Rangers are 2 huge clubs for all the wrong reasons and with the finances the EPL offers would píss all over the above mentioned clubs.

Sorry, I never mentioned what it would be like if Celtic or Rangers were in the Premiership. I don't deal with fantasy. But the teams I mentioned ARE better sides than Celtic and Rangers. This is reality. My version of reality granted, but I think most people would agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

But the teams I mentioned ARE better sides than Celtic and Rangers. This is reality. My version of reality granted, but I think most people would agree.

Going by yore reality , you can roll off their achievements Europe wise since the EPL was formed and compare them to the Scottish part-timers results wise ? Hmmm find me someone who actually thinks qualifying for the intertoto outways getting out of Champions league groups ? Or even better find someone who thinks the mid-table EPL teams would actually knock either of Celtic/Rangers out of any European trophy over 2 legs ? If liverpool don't perform to achieve 4th place well that makes the last 5 games interesting for some of those clubs you mentioned.If not they all compete for UEFA/Intertoto spots as per usual.Englands 2nd tier failed miserably again last night in Europe shock,horror.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i agree with d22ontour.

i'd rate Celtic and Rangers as highly as Villa,City,Everton,Portsmouth.

Unfortunately Villa don't have the luxury of being in Europe every season because there are actually other good teams in our league.

d22ontour wrote: »
    That is truely rubbish.Either Celtic or Rangers in the moneypit that is the Premiership would both be top 6 teams and with their financial windfall would push top 4 easily.
    You're delusional if you actually believe that.

There's obviously no way to compare so its all hypothetical, we all know Celtic can beat any team on their day in the CL, but the teams they play against week in week out in the SPL are truly awful. Do not fool yerselves that Celtic or Rangers would cut it in the PL without breaking a sweat, they would struggle no doubt. As we seen with Petrov and Maloney to a lesser degree, you would soon see how your so called stars are miles off the pace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

IMHO both Old Firm teams would be mid table for the first season or two, but given the MASSIVE cash injection that playing in the premiership would get them, and the lure of a bigger league helping them attract players,
    Coupled with the size of the clubs already, would be challenging the top four within 3 or 4 years.

Eirebear wrote: »
    IMHO both Old Firm teams would be mid table for the first season or two, but given the MASSIVE cash injection that playing in the premiership would get them, and the lure of a bigger league helping them attract players,
    Coupled with the size of the clubs already, would be challenging the top four within 3 or 4 years.
    I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. Celtic and Rangers would be doing very well to get promoted from the Championship the way it is now and I refuse to believe, if it ever did happen, that they could just walk laterally from SPL to Premiership where they'd have to treat every game like an Old Firm derby. I think they would fail, and fail spectacularly. But seeing as nothing can be proven...meh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Petrov speaks:
    Petrov admitted 'I haven’t produced my best form for Villa but I haven’t been complaining, I just get on with it and the manager picks the team. Sometimes it doesn’t go well for you but you still do your best for your team-mates and that’s the way I’ll carry on. I’ll never give up. I will be back playing for Villa. To be honest, a few people have asked what I want to do. But I’m not a quitter and I’m not thinking about a transfer.'

He also argues that he is as suited to the Premier League as anywhere else explaining: 'Football is the same everywhere you go I’ve played Champions League, internationals and European Championship games, so I don’t find this any different.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

not wishing to stir up the hornets nest again but face facts old firm fans, if Ajax, Panathoinikis, River Plate, or Shamrock Rovers or any other small countries 'big' clubs were in the EPL then they'd be bigger then Villa.

But they are not and Villa are, lets have a look at Celtics team v Barcelona shall we?

Celtic: Boruc - Wilson, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor - Nakamura, Brown, Hartley, Donati, McGeady - Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Now i dont know about ye guys but in my eyes that is a reasonable bunch of players that MON might go shopping for to increase the size of the squad with Randy Lerners money

however Young, Agbonlahor, Barry, Carson, Laursen, Carew, Davies would all walk into Celtics team ahead of what ye have.this isnt a flame this is fact (well i dont know about Carson:D)

this isnt just a Villa - Celtic thing, most middle PL sides would be better then Celtic, just look at that back 4! Berbatov, Defoe, Johnson, Agbonlahor etc all would have a field day against that backline!

Celtic on the same level as those teams? getouttahere!

*Edit* RE: the OP, Petrov has been consistently anonymous when he has played and has been getting a lot of criticism in the process, the reason this is is because he came with a big Reputation in a big money transfer and he has not delivered, i hope MON moves him on in the summer for Petrovs sake, VP has played host to many expensive flop signings so he isnt the worst, at least he isnt spitting at the fans yet like that other moody Slav we once knew (i even had the AVFC bandana thing).

not wishing to stir up the hornets nest again but face facts old firm fans, if Ajax, Panathoinikis, River Plate, or Shamrock Rovers or any other small countries 'big' clubs were in the EPL then they'd be bigger then Villa.

But they are not and Villa are, lets have a look at Celtics team v Barcelona shall we?

Celtic: Boruc - Wilson, Caldwell, McManus, Naylor - Nakamura, Brown, Hartley, Donati, McGeady - Vennegoor of Hesselink.

Now i dont know about ye guys but in my eyes that is a reasonable bunch of players that MON might go shopping for to increase the size of the squad with Randy Lerners money

however Young, Agbonlahor, Barry, Carson, Laursen, Carew, Davies would all walk into Celtics team ahead of what ye have.this isnt a flame this is fact (well i dont know about Carson:D)

this isnt just a Villa - Celtic thing, most middle PL sides would be better then Celtic, just look at that back 4! Berbatov, Defoe, Johnson, Agbonlahor etc all would have a field day against that backline!

Celtic on the same level as those teams? getouttahere!

That would be about right yeah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭armour87

He wasn't so bad on Saturday was he!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

armour87 wrote: »
    He wasn't so bad on Saturday was he!?

meaningless end of season games against relegation fodder always produce these type of performances, look at Viduka at Newcastle, and Berger last season, Petrov doesnt complain coz who knows who'll take him if Villa dump him. Can Celtic afford those Prem wages?

Advertisement