Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banking and Finance 3rd Commerce

• 07-03-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

I think im going to go with this next year. Just wondering has anyone here done it and whats it like? I was thinking of doing the 2 insurance subjects (fin30050 and fin30060) as my options! Are they any good? tough? Anyway cheers for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

I did it.

There are 3 insurance modules; I dont have a prospectus handy so I dont know which ones you are considering.

I did reinsurance and insurance regulation. I did not do nature and role of insurance markets. As far as I know, the same lecturer does all three (he definitly does the two I did).
    There was no continuous assesment, and you knew one (compulsory) question before the exam. the average mark was 69%.

I work in FS regulation, and I learned some very useful stuff in insurance regulation.

The Banking and Finance mode is good. Aspects of Financial theory is very tough, the MCQ very is harsh. To encourage lecture attendance, the notes on blackboard have gaps at the crucial points in each lecture. This pissed me off no end. Treasury is managable, but the lecturer is very arrogant and pretentious and though very good, there will be no book or (useful) notes on blackboard.

econometrics in hindsight was actually the easiest subject, but dont miss lectures and definitely do the assignments.

I was surprised to learn that banking and finance doesnt give you an exemption from the finance paper in the ACA CAP1 (you're prob not intending to be an accountant, but a lot of senior ppl in finance seem to have ACAs, go fig. Plus most bcomms endup with a Big 4 anyway).
    You might consider doing either company law or Fin Acc3, they will give you CAP1 exemptions.

I ended up doing Acc by default. Nobody wants to do it, so be sure your online when the window opens and make your choice, while you have one!

Students who did the accounting mode have full exemptions from CAP1.

If you do decide to do it give me a shout and I'll sell you some books.
    All in all I got a first in my final year, and I wouldnt be the most studious, least of all last year.

Advertisement